1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only a CSU fan would make this argument

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffarino, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

http://www.ramnation.com/message_board/general/2007/November/28/189600.php

Summary - CSU fans are glad their AD is going to do the coaching search himself, without the help of Chuck Neinas. They think Neinas doesn't add any value. I disagree. Here's a partial list of the hires he has recommended to schools:

Mack Brown at Texas
    Bob Stoops at Oklahoma
    Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame, then Washington
    Les Miles at Oklahoma State, then LSU
    Mark Richt at Georgia
    Dennis Franchione at Texas A&M
    Urban Meyer at Utah, then Florida
    Dan Hawkins at Colorado
    Gary Pinkel at Missouri

Of all those, only Fran would be considered a bust. Pinkel would have been borderline bust prior to this season, but he's dug himself out of that hole.

If I was an AD looking for a coach, my first call would be to Neinas.

2. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Willingham a success at ND or U Dub?

3. Buffarino

I think he got the shaft at ND (Weis came in and won early with Ty's players) and I think he'll do well at UW, but he's going to need a couple years. That program was in BAAAD shape when he came in.

4. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I agree about Willingham at ND. He did a fine job in retrospect, so calling him a bust might be a little harsh, but I don´t know if I´d call it a success, either.

Seeing his name on there together with guys like Brown, Stoops and Meyer, who have national championship rings, or Richt and Miles, who have their teams in contention for a BCS Bowl and in the Top 15 every year or so, just seems a little odd.

Jury is obviously out on Hawk, especially compared to the other guys.

5. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Hence why the will always be small time. They probably can't afford Neinas' services either. The other reason they are going to pay is because the lammies are going to hire the Southern Illinois coach, hence no need for a search. (They should search, but I think Kowalchuk is locked in on his former coach)

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Come on Buffarino, this is Newport we're talking about. The guy is all about bashing CU in any way possible. I guess he can sleep well at night that CSU didn't lower themselves by hiring a useless guy like Neinas, but his record speaks for itself.

7. Buffarino

The scary part is, he's gotta be a smart guy to do what he does for a living (he's an investment banker). But he gets so blinded with rage that he loses sight of things.

8. Buffarino

I agree on the small-time part, although the funny thing is, Neinas isn't nearly as expensive as you would think. $20-40k seems to be the going rate which is far cheaper than the millions a bad coaching hire costs you.

9. Highflyer

Any idea what the MWC coaches are making? I don;t imagine that there are many, if any, making over 1 mill per yer. I'm thinking these guys are all making in the $500 to 1 mill range.

10. Buffarino

Yeah, but a bad hire costs you not only a buyout, but also lost ticket revenues, donations, etc. I'd be very surprised if a bad coaching hire did not cost any D-I school at least $1 million.

Sonny was making ~$500k.

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

12. Highflyer

Well, you can't lose revenue you if you did not have any to begin with:smile2:

13. Buffarino

Well, even looking at what happened to the sheep by waiting a couple years too long on Sunny:

Buyout of his contract is $500k (they're keeping him on for 2 years in the AD at $250k per)

Attendance dropped by 10-12k per game for their home games. That's another $1-2 million per year in lost ticket revenue.

That $20-40k looks awfully cheap now.

14. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

15. Highflyer

I hear exactly what you are saying and agree completely. I am enjoying the hand wringing over St. Sonny's dismissal by the local media wonks. the only time CSU got any pub this year was leading up the CU game and Sonny's firing.

BTW, I had not heard that Sonny's was going to accept that gig with the AD.