What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU game fallout thread

Good questions. To me...

1) solid rebuild means you have a foundation for 2-deep across the board, some holes plugged occasionally with JC or graduate transfer help. You staff is experienced across the board. You have seasoned coordinators. And everybody on the staff can recruit, including and especially the position coaches. And the HC can close. Additionally, the HC has several signature wins, preferably over ranked teams, with minimized travesty losses.

2) Takinh to the next level can easily be defined in last year’s Three Year Strategic Athletics Plan.

That’s my $0.02.

MM had built a respectable, below average (4-5 conf wins) program. He does not have the leadership or sense of urgency to take it to the next level.

Period.
You are being kind. He is actually averaging 2 conference wins a year. and we had that one special year or it would be 1

As a fan I can't remember the last time I was this tired of this team. I'm tired of explaining and reasoning about why we fall apart. I love the Buffs and I will always stay involved week to week. But after this one, it's hard to try to get back into this season

SIAP, but seeing rumors about MacIntyre and a player getting into it on the sidelines Sat. I didn't see anything, but has anyone mentioned it and I am too old and blind to have seen it?

SIAP, but seeing rumors about MacIntyre and a player getting into it on the sidelines Sat. I didn't see anything, but has anyone mentioned it and I am too old and blind to have seen it?
I think I remember him yelling at Jack Colletto after the pick 6 which seemed weird, but it didn’t appear to be too out of the ordinary.

Yes, no doubt, we have tons of glaring issues on this team (pitiful playcalling, porous inexperienced OL. garbage CBs, soft head coach) ... but the more I think about this, I want to believe that the second half Saturday was more a fluke, perfect storm thing ... their QB was absolutely unconscious, making EVERY SINGLE big throw he had to make into often tight windows. How often do you see a college QB never miss? He was Rogers/Brady level accurate in crunch time. And OSU is 51st in the country in scoring offense, so its not like they can't score (37 vs WSU, 31 vs Ohio St.). Combine that with inept CU playcalling, a blocked FG, insane momentum (can't be understated in the college game) and a worn out demoralized defense, and .... well, we see what happened.

I don't think the sky is falling. I think our record (and subsequently, our expectations) were greatly inflated by a soft early schedule, and we were never that good to start with. We lose VERY little next year that matters, we'll be better for sure, barring major injuries. I think MM deserves through next year ... anything less than 8 wins though and we should move on.

All that said ... I still strongly believe we go 0-4 from here, mainly because the schedule is stacked against us. If we had either AZ or Cal at home, I might feel optimistic. But we are an awful road team and they're both playing far better than us right now. And forget WSU or Utah ... far superior talent and coaching.

The worst from today was seeing Shenault sitting on the bench on his phone during overtime. ZERO leaderships skills, totally selfish attitude. Where are the coaches.

Rick George needs to get in touch with Jim Levitt and beg him to return as HC!!

SC was playing their 3rd string QB today and they were missing their best player at all 3 levels of their defense.

Help me out here. Trying to understand the thought process behind joining a message board for a team at their lowest moment, expressively for the purpose of posting about that moment.

Not being a dick. Sincerely curious as to what that is about. To me, I am a fan of a team, or whatever, and I like them enough that I am moved to find other fans of that team to talk with and get information from. I can't imagine how experiencing one of the lowest moments in a team's history would be the catalyst for me wanting to create an account and post on a board. I read this board every day, and I can barely stand to be around it at times like this.

Is it just that misery loves company?

Are you trying to get out of having to fetch sammiches?

Help me out here. Trying to understand the thought process behind joining a message board for a team at their lowest moment, expressively for the purpose of posting about that moment.
?

this is actually normal based upon my purely anecdotal observations-- when we get out of the bell curve on expected wins or losses, we get a bunch of new posters. also, when anything big happens-- hirings, firings, conference changes, controversy, etc.

I want a new pony. The pony I have now is a bad, bad, pony. All of the shiny, new ponies are really expensive. Looks like I'm going to have to keep ol' sh!itthead around for a few more years.

Last edited:
now late afternoon 48 hrs later and im still steaming!

Maybe part of the problem is that MM doesn't seem to be.

When you have the right coach a loss like this one results in some kind of significant response. He is angry, he is making changes, he is unpleasant to be around. He is taking responsibility but he is also holding people accountable. We see changes in starting line-ups, we see changes in play calling.

The response might even be a little irrational and it may be apologized for later in the week but the competitiveness of the coach will show through, the unwillingness to accept losing when there is no reason to lose.

We aren't getting that from MM. Losing a game like this doesn't bother him enough, just like losing quality recruits from the state of Colorado doesn't bother him enough, or having coaches who don't put in the work to recruit doesn't bother him enough.

Bill McCartney lost a lot of games in his first few years but they were games he should have lost, the other team was better. Once he had the program where he wanted it to be he was not a pleasant man to be around the week after a loss he didn't think we should have lost.

I don't know them but I am pretty sure the same can be said for Meyer, for Sabin, for the other coaches who are regularly competing for the big prizes.

I've gone back through all of the drives (because I hate my life) - and what I remembered seeing at the game is actually true:

Every time we had a play go for 15+ yards, the next play is a run up the middle.

MAX gain on any single play: 4 yds. Avg gain: 2 yds.

Every
Single
Time

If I can see it from the stands, you KNOW any D COORD out there can see it on tape.

Maybe part of the problem is that MM doesn't seem to be.

When you have the right coach a loss like this one results in some kind of significant response. He is angry, he is making changes, he is unpleasant to be around. He is taking responsibility but he is also holding people accountable. We see changes in starting line-ups, we see changes in play calling.

Mediocre Mike has always seemed apathetic and listless on the sidelines. I do wish he were a little more animated at times.

Mediocre Mike has always seemed apathetic and listless on the sidelines. I do wish he were a little more animated at times.

And those guys I mentioned would carry the mad through for days (usually until they had a satisfying win to override the loss.)

The postgame stuff from MM seemed was to much like "Well we did this and this and lost, Oh well, let's see what happens next week." If Sabin had lost a game like that one the Monday morning media session would have been with a guy working hard not to boil over.

At the Pro level but in the championship years Shanny was the same way. The media never know what to expect in the media time after a bad loss but they didn't want to miss it because he would be burning inside.

I like Mike MacIntyre and want to see him win. He knows the game, his kids and his coaches like him, he seems like a standup guy who cares about people and about doing things the right way.

At this point though I am just questioning if he has the passion, the fire, to win that distinguishes the mediocre coaches from the champions. Is winning important enough to him for him to hold his staff accountable, to drive himself and his players to the next level.

Increasingly it is looking like he accepts good enough instead insisting on excellence.

Last edited:
I've gone back through all of the drives (because I hate my life) - and what I remembered seeing at the game is actually true:

Every time we had a play go for 15+ yards, the next play is a run up the middle.

MAX gain on any single play: 4 yds. Avg gain: 2 yds.

Every
Single
Time

If I can see it from the stands, you KNOW any D COORD out there can see it on tape.

yes, this has been a known tendency all year. basically, what i think they are doing is that when they have a big gainer, they have an auto call next play (run up the middle) so that they can get to the LOS and go fast in the hope that they will catch the defense gassed or out of position. this is not working.

now late afternoon 48 hrs later and im still steaming!

Don't worry, you'll transition to the "bargaining" stage soon. You'll know you're there when you start posting stuff like, "eh, it's just a football game. I'm just glad KD Nixon had a breakout game!"

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAlFAAAAJGFiNWEyNWU3LWMxNDQtNGRiZi1hNjcxLWRkZTFmMTg5MmRkMw-1.jpg-1.jpg

Last edited:
i am not buying the "mm lacks fire" line of argument. there is a difference between letting up too soon and lacking fire or whatever. plus, if you go back through their comeback, it isn't like we were playing soft. they adjusted at the half and attacked our weaknesses. we did not respond well.

some of it is fixable-- the o-line is now very young. some of it is not as fixable-- we are short on corners and we now don't have the rotation depth on the dl we started the season with.

some of it is scheme. the "my guy can beat your guy 1:1 at the LOS" doesn't work unless you have more than 1 skill guy who routinely beats his guy athletically. and, the sell-out defense doesn't work if your corners can't lock down on the back end.

some of it intangibles. 2 tough losses in a row and then this big let-down. that's sometimes hard to read going into the game.

i honestly think we can win any of the last 4 games. i also think we can lose any of the 4 last games. sadly, it feels like we are trending down not up.

Sorry, this doesn't hold water with me. Assuming MikMac and staff have been trying to fix the OL problem, they have been a miserable failure, starting three frosh in year six on the OL tells me they have utterly failed to field and develop a proper OL.

i agree. just thinking that all these frosh ol playing are likely to get better. well, maybe more of a hope than a thought.

I agree MacIntyre did some good work here in Boulder such as getting CU to a competitive level in the Pac-12.
I recall 2014 and 2015 being years of great frustration where we came close so many times but wound up with losing records. Multiple OT losses. It’s like the missing ‘killer instinct’ ruined both seasons but at the time we didn’t realize it was systemic.

1. Pre-season, I was a mac hater. I thought this was a 4-5 win team. Many of you convinced me to give him a chance this year. I did.

2. I jumped on the train. I started feeling excitement about this team.

3. The usc and udub games were disappointments because they were both winnable. Yet, being 5-2 was okay because we had games that were winnable.

4. We weren’t great against oregon state. Yet, we had a 4 TD lead. We hit the 1H team total over. Things were going well enough.

5. Then, we had a horror show of a 2H against one of the worst teams in the FBS. The 2H/OT against oregon state put us in a tailspin.

6. In looking at the last four teams on our schedule, I see four teams trending up. They’ve overcome bad games with really good ones. We have not done that.

7. Like the kansas debacle with hawkins, the oregon state debacle is the death knell. The AD may not be able to afford a buy-out this year. Barring winning the P12 this year or next, he is dead man walking.

We’ve hit the ceiling with macintyre, unfortunately. The only question is how and when we’ll respond.

yes, this has been a known tendency all year. basically, what i think they are doing is that when they have a big gainer, they have an auto call next play (run up the middle) so that they can get to the LOS and go fast in the hope that they will catch the defense gassed or out of position. this is not working.

You can see it. I can see it. Our opponents damn sure can see it.

Why can't Chev?

Is he being told to run clock, or is he just dumb?

How hard is it to say: " That played just got us 23 yds and the SAME defense is still on the field, this 1 time, let's RUN IT AGAIN"?

Play action out of it once a ****ing game and score. This isn't ****ing rocket science.

I saw MM yelling at Tony Brown after the second drop where he left his feet again.

Can confirm: our fellow season ticket holder (who sits to our right) saw this happen and told us about it. So there was at least some anger on the sidelines.

Can confirm: our fellow season ticket holder (who sits to our right) saw this happen and told us about it. So there was at least some anger on the sidelines.
I saw HCMM yelling at Tony. However, the replay clearly showed he was interferred with on the play. Db was grabbing his arm. Also, HCMM was yelling at Wigley after the Pick 6. That one made even less sense.

Back