What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU game fallout thread

This is the problem, he didn't and doesn't do the bolded above.

He leaves the starters in.

And stops trying to do anything but run out the clock to try to not hurt anyone's feelings.

At no point did any starter (save the already running OL circus) come out of the game. The D only subbed when idiot players started targeting and had to be replace or when starters DID get hurt.

I'll trade you straight up right now if you still want him.
Oh really? Must admit I was at the Cal/Washington game so just assumed this is what he'd done. Ok, changing my vote. That's f'ing nuts.

I've only been following CU and the Pac since 2013, but he basically described Utah. If we can't aspire to be at their level, fugg, if we can't aspire for Utah's level to be our floor, then what's the point? I find it impossible to believe that recruiting quality players and coaches to Boulder is a greater challenge than recruiting them to SLC.

Win or lose against Utah. I don’t understand how year after year we get dominated on the lines, mostly our OL, by Utah. They don’t get higher star recruits than we do for the most part. But they always have solid lines, while we can’t block simple schemes or gain short yardage when we have to.

On the eve of the next game, I've had almost a full week to settle down, look at things rationally, and have read boatloads of both thoughtful and thoughtless musings on AB (I'm confident this post is one of those two). The extra time didn't help. I've come to the conclusion that even though I've pretty much been a MM apologist since he was hired, the OSU debacle was just too much for me to climb back on to his bandwagon. Yes, I think he has done an admirable job of digging the program out of the pit of despair. Thankful for that. But an respectable program looking to take it to the next level just doesn't allow a 1-6 team to rally from a 31-3 deficit in the 3rd quarter to win. I'd feel somewhat better if recruiting was lights out...but it's not.

Therefore, the only path I see is to make a change. Yes, I understand the financial implications (still don't know if there's offset language or not, but that wouldn't sway my opinion anyway). But the mediocrity resulting from no change will be severely costly as well. Unfortunately, I don't believe a new head coach will be in the cards without a 1-3 or 0-4 result to close out the season. I don't think RG will pull the plug with a 2-2 or better record. But I can't bring myself to root for the Buffs to fail, either. Dammit - seriously conflicted.

On the eve of the next game, I've had almost a full week to settle down, look at things rationally, and have read boatloads of both thoughtful and thoughtless musings on AB (I'm confident this post is one of those two). The extra time didn't help. I've come to the conclusion that even though I've pretty much been a MM apologist since he was hired, the OSU debacle was just too much for me to climb back on to his bandwagon. Yes, I think he has done an admirable job of digging the program out of the pit of despair. Thankful for that. But an respectable program looking to take it to the next level just doesn't allow a 1-6 team to rally from a 31-3 deficit in the 3rd quarter to win. I'd feel somewhat better if recruiting was lights out...but it's not.

Therefore, the only path I see is to make a change. Yes, I understand the financial implications (still don't know if there's offset language or not, but that wouldn't sway my opinion anyway). But the mediocrity resulting from no change will be severely costly as well. Unfortunately, I don't believe a new head coach will be in the cards without a 1-3 or 0-4 result to close out the season. I don't think RG will pull the plug with a 2-2 or better record. But I can't bring myself to root for the Buffs to fail, either. Dammit - seriously conflicted.
Don’t have to root for them to fail. Hope Mac figures it out and Buffs go 4-0 (0% chance of that happening) and after any loss that might come just know that we are one step closer to being rid of Mac

I think we all agree with this, but one other thing here-MM can't come back (even at 7-5 or better) without changes among the assistants.

I agree - but changing assistants doesn't move the needle enough to go from mediocrity to excellence.

I don't want to make a change if we're in a position where we can avoid it-I thought we'd go 7-5 this year. Won't be crazy about how we got there after last week, but I'm fine with him staying in that scenario provided Adams and Bernardi go.

Win or lose against Utah. I don’t understand how year after year we get dominated on the lines, mostly our OL, by Utah. They don’t get higher star recruits than we do for the most part. But they always have solid lines, while we can’t block simple schemes or gain short yardage when we have to.
we recruit nice guys...we need nasty ****s

No ****! Don’t go there and try to play it carefully for three quarters in order to avoid mistakes with the hope you can win it in the fourth. I’M SICK OF THAT MENTALITY! PUNCH THEM IN THE MIUTH FROM THE START!!
Onside kick or fake punt will be seen.

Still the same Hawk.....lol. UCD is ranked #6 in FCS...Miracles can happen. Cody is actually turning out to be a good OC...FWIW

So good he gets credit for being the OC as the WR coach. And yes, I realize he has had success at lower levels.

So good he gets credit for being the OC as the WR coach. And yes, I realize he has had success at lower levels.
I was gonna say, he’s definitely not the OC. I will say this, for as mediocre he was as a QB I always Cody had a pretty darn good football IQ. That stuff translates to decent coaching

Ha. No, I like CU and root for you guys (as long as you aren't playing Cal). Look, I'm not arguing this wasn't bad, but you need to keep some perspective. Literally 3 weeks ago we had people on the Cal board saying "I told you we should have hired MM. He's clearly one of the best coaches in the conference." Now mind you this was an inflection point for us two full coaching hires ago and we were still wringing our hands over it.

On this game, MM clearly eased up in the 3rd quarter up 31-3 over the worst team in the conference. A team that had just been boat raced by the 2nd worst team in the conference (Cal). It wasn't crazy at that point to pull some starters rather than risk injuries. He clearly though the game was over. Now what's indefensible is that he didn't recognize soon enough that with their early season QB back in the game OSU is a very different offensive team. And even with this colossal blunder almost everything had to break against you to get OSU the win.

I'm not saying that MM is Nick Saban. But he got you a division championship within the last few years - something we haven't achieved since the Eisenhower administration (yeah, yeah I know there weren't divisions in the Pac until the expansion to the Pac 12 - but you get the point).

You've still got a lot of talent and with a senior laden team he's proven he can go the distance (or at least get close to doing so).

Again, you all know the team far better than I - I'm just giving you the view from the outside looking in. Good luck to the Buffs.

We will trade macintyre for wilcox right now.

We will trade macintyre for wilcox right now.
Going to have to pass . . . at least this week. It's amazing how coaches can go from being geniuses to being idiots in the span of seven days. :) MM is better than he showed last Saturday. His stock will rise again.

Macintyre is enron to me.
More like Madoff.

220px-BernardMadoff.jpg

Back