What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games weekend of 8/31-9/3

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
First of the year.

Football is back and the Buffs get to start it by rolling the sheep, (again as usual.)

This is usually the weekend of the big slaughter. Top teams beating up on joke opponents as a warm-up and acting like they did something significant. As a result we get such titanic battles as (3) Georgia against mighty Austin Peay. SEC continues to exceed themselves in scheduling away from anything that looks like competition.

Topping that one we get (2) Clemson playing the Paladins of Furman. They may get more competition from their scout team in the Friday walk through.

Big slate of games on Thursday. Unfortunately none of them look like they give much reason to watch other than Football is back. We do get to see is self-proclaimed national champs (21) Central Florida can defend it against a powerhouse UConn team.

Another bunch of games on Friday. In addition to us there is also (13) Stanford hosting a decent San Diego State squad.

We do get a few solid matches of ranked teams starting Saturday.

Biggest game of the week has (6) Washington playing (9) Auburn at what is supposed to be a neutral site but is deeply set in SEC country in Atlanta. Peterson and company could do the PAC a huge favor by winning this one to give the league some credibility.

We also get (14) Michigan at (12) Notre Dame. Don't usually pull for Michigan but against ND it isn't hard to do. Will this be yet another year when Notre Dame proves themselves to be overrated pre-season?

Fun game to watch should be (20) Virginia Tech at (19) Florida State. Both of these teams have loads of speed and each is hoping to make a statement to move up. Either one could easily end up in the top 10 at the end of the year or completely out of the rankings.

Last game between ranked teams includes one that won't be for long. (25)LSU seems to be on a path to self-destruction this year and (8) Miami is ready to give them a solid shove. Canes are back to recruiting bunches of talented players and my sense is that LSU is only ranked because of their name. Could be a big blowout.

Another potential blowout in P5 teams would be (23) Texas going to Maryland. Maryland was bad last year and now is without their coach after killing one of their own players.

Keep an eye out for early season upsets. A number of FBS teams are playing FCS teams and we have had some wins by the smaller schools in recent years.

Kansas hopes it doesn't happen to them again. In the terrible game of the week they play Nichols State. This might be their best and only chance to win a game this year.

One upset we would love to see would be Abilene Christian beating Christian in name only Baylor.

Fuskers fans are busy worrying about losing to CU next week. They best not forget last year losing to Northern Illinois. Their opening game last year they barely beat Arkansas State and Akron could be a better team than Arky State. How sweet it would be for us to give them their second loss of the season. Hear the greatest fans in college football boo their own team off the field.

Local schools have Air Force hosting Stoney Brook and New Mexico hosting Incarnate Word. Washington State will have a battle on their hands facing a solid Wyoming defense in Laramie, never an easy place to play.

Smaller schools have McNeese in Greeley to play Northern Colorado.

Local small colleges include Colorado Mines hosting Adams State, Colorado Mesa hosting South Dakota Mines, and CSU-Pueblo with Dixie State visiting. These are all conference games and based on the last few years an opening week loss would put them in a bad position for the year.

Last edited:
Solid lineup this weekend. Buffs on Friday, then on Saturday I'll be flipping back and forth between Washington/ Auburn (just a good matchup) and Cal/ UNC (Cal my #2 team), with a glance over at WVU/ Tennessee from time to time. Michigan/ ND is the better night game, though I'll watch Louisville/ Alabama until it's obvious that UL's chances are beyond hope. Will likely end up watching a bit of BYU/ Zona that night as well just because football. And beer.

Last edited:
This league really needs a Washington win this weekend in a bad way. I'll pass on Louisville/Alabama......Gotta get a look at the Cornshuckers on Saturday night as well. Will go back and forth between that and Michigan/ND

Oh, and there’s solid games Sunday and Monday as well.

Labor Day weekend and the beginning of college football is at this point my second favorite holiday of the year, and Christmas only wins because of all the time I get off around it.

This league really needs a Washington win this weekend in a bad way. I'll pass on Louisville/Alabama......Gotta get a look at the Cornshuckers on Saturday night as well. Will go back and forth between that and Michigan/ND

You couldn't pay me to watch NU/Arkron over Michigan-Notre Dame.

I am going to see how ASU looks out of the gate against UTSA on Saturday night.

Cincinnati at UCLA is another game that'll tell us a lot.

It should. Cincinnati isn't a very good team. If UCLA struggles against them it could be a long season for the Bruins. Fickell seems like a quality coach who could make UCLA look bad.

It should. Cincinnati isn't a very good team. If UCLA struggles against them it could be a long season for the Bruins. Fickell seems like a quality coach who could make UCLA look bad.
UCLA is the biggest wild card in conference. I have no idea what that team is.

UCLA is the biggest wild card in conference. I have no idea what that team is.
I'm starting to think that Chip Kelly has reached a level of arrogance that is getting in the way of him recruiting or retaining players. That he has no patience for anything that is outside his narrow way. Could work, but it could also blow up the other way - especially since it seems like it's more important than ever for players to feel a relationship with their coach in order to have success.

I'm starting to think that Chip Kelly has reached a level of arrogance that is getting in the way of him recruiting or retaining players. That he has no patience for anything that is outside his narrow way. Could work, but it could also blow up the other way - especially since it seems like it's more important than ever for players to feel a relationship with their coach in order to have success.

After a stint in the NFL, I could see him having little to no patience for some aspects of the college game.

You couldn't pay me to watch NU/Arkron over Michigan-Notre Dame.

I am going to see how ASU looks out of the gate against UTSA on Saturday night.

If we weren't playing Nebraska next week, I wouldn't pay any attention to that game.

First of the year.

Football is back and the Buffs get to start it by rolling the sheep, (again as usual.)

This is usually the weekend of the big slaughter. Top teams beating up on joke opponents as a warm-up and acting like they did something significant. As a result we get such titanic battles as (3) Georgia against mighty Austin Peay. SEC continues to exceed themselves in scheduling away from anything that looks like competition.

Topping that one we get (2) Clemson playing the Paladins of Furman. They may get more competition from their scout team in the Friday walk through.

Big slate of games on Thursday. Unfortunately none of them look like they give much reason to watch other than Football is back. We do get to see is self-proclaimed national champs (21) Central Florida can defend it against a powerhouse UConn team.

Another bunch of games on Friday. In addition to us there is also (13) Stanford hosting a decent San Diego State squad.

We do get a few solid matches of ranked teams starting Saturday.

Biggest game of the week has (6) Washington playing (9) Auburn at what is supposed to be a neutral site but is deeply set in SEC country in Atlanta. Peterson and company could do the PAC a huge favor by winning this one to give the league some credibility.

We also get (14) Michigan at (12) Notre Dame. Don't usually pull for Michigan but against ND it isn't hard to do. Will this be yet another year when Notre Dame proves themselves to be overrated pre-season?

Fun game to watch should be (20) Virginia Tech at (19) Florida State. Both of these teams have loads of speed and each is hoping to make a statement to move up. Either one could easily end up in the top 10 at the end of the year or completely out of the rankings.

Last game between ranked teams includes one that won't be for long. (25)LSU seems to be on a path to self-destruction this year and (8) Miami is ready to give them a solid shove. Canes are back to recruiting bunches of talented players and my sense is that LSU is only ranked because of their name. Could be a big blowout.

Another potential blowout in P5 teams would be (23) Texas going to Maryland. Maryland was bad last year and now is without their coach after killing one of their own players.

Keep an eye out for early season upsets. A number of FBS teams are playing FCS teams and we have had some wins by the smaller schools in recent years.

Kansas hopes it doesn't happen to them again. In the terrible game of the week they play Nichols State. This might be their best and only chance to win a game this year.

One upset we would love to see would be Abilene Christian beating Christian in name only Baylor.

Fuskers fans are busy worrying about losing to CU next week. They best not forget last year losing to Northern Illinois. Their opening game last year they barely beat Arkansas State and Akron could be a better team than Arky State. How sweet it would be for us to give them their second loss of the season. Hear the greatest fans in college football boo their own team off the field.

Local schools have Air Force hosting Stoney Brook and New Mexico hosting Incarnate Word. Washington State will have a battle on their hands facing a solid Wyoming defense in Laramie, never an easy place to play.

Smaller schools have McNeese in Greeley to play Northern Colorado.

Local small colleges include Colorado Mines hosting Adams State, Colorado Mines hosting South Dakota Mines, and CSU-Pueblo with Dixie State visiting. These are all conference games and based on the last few years an opening week loss would put them in a bad position for the year.

Colorado Mines starts the season with a day-night doubleheader

Colorado Mines starts the season with a day-night doubleheader

Another oops on my part, blame it on being sick. Should have been Colorado Mesa vs. South Dakota Mines. Will edit.

Junction would have nailed me on that within minutes of posting it.

Going to be an interesting year in the RMAC. League looks to have a number of strong teams and Wristen wants Pueblo back in contention for the NC.

For anyone who hasn't been to a D2 game the experience can be a lot of fun. Fans are close to the action, lots of the players are local, and there is a surprising amount of good talent. There are schools all over the state and admission is cheap.

First of the year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/official-n...ional-championship-record-book-234835087.html

kermityoubettarecognize.gif~c200

Last edited:
laugh all you want, it's no worse (and probably better than) MNC claims that Bama, aTm, Michigan and several others put on their stadiums. And it has made UCF a bunch of money through exposure.

Record breaking number of applications for this year's freshman class. Be a shill for the ESPN/Bama invitational. Its cool, own it. I won't be.

The beauty of college sports is sometimes David beats goliath. We were David in '89. Nobody saw it coming or gave us a chance. the Big 8 was the Big 2 and the 6 littles. It is fun to rewrite the narrative.

laugh all you want, it's no worse (and probably better than) MNC claims that Bama, aTm, Michigan and several others put on their stadiums. And it has made UCF a bunch of money through exposure.

Record breaking number of applications for this year's freshman class. Be a shill for the ESPN/Bama invitational. Its cool, own it. I won't be.

The beauty of college sports is sometimes David beats goliath. We were David in '89. Nobody saw it coming or gave us a chance. the Big 8 was the Big 2 and the 6 littles. It is fun to rewrite the narrative.

They beat Maryland and barely got by Auburn. The rest of the schedule was G5 schools. That doesn't make you a champion. May not be fair but that is what it is, same as the years that Boise beat up a bunch of G5 schools and didn't get he title.

In 89 CU played CSU from what was at the time called the mid-majors. Every other game was against a team from a major conference including out of conference games with Texas and Illinois when the Illini were ranked #10.

UCF should be proud of a great season but they are making a laughing stock out of themselves by claiming a championship.

Please, regale me with more tales of who we played in '89.

And just got by Auburn? going into that game Auburn was a double digit darling by the gameday crew.

my bad, upon further review, Auburn was a 9.5 point favorite.

Instead of any actual penalties against the alabama program, the ncaa decided to recognize an uncommonly used ranking algo just to put a splinter under bama’s fingertip. The golden knights had a lovely season. Their championship was not done as a recognition of their excellence. It was simply done to spite the most dominant program in the sport.

So their "National Championship" is like Utah's "National Championship" in 2008. The longer they keep it up the longer they will be laughed at.
Oh c’mon. You and I both know the longer they keep it up the more it will be accepted, because the more time goes by the fewer the people who remember the specifics. Do you routinely look up the specifics of split titles in the 70’s and 80’s? I sure as hell don’t. It doesn’t mean I think they “deserve” a claim at the national title, but whatever. They did everything they could and realistically the system that exists never would have given them a shot no matter what they did.

Last edited:
*colley :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The same computer EVERYONE ****ING HATED and threw a fit about and that’s why it no longer exists. Hilarious.

Oh c’mon. You and I both know the longer they keep it up the more it will be accepted, because the more time goes by the fewer the people who remember the specifics. Do you routinely look up the specifics of split titles in the 70’s and 80’s? I sure as hell don’t. It doesn’t mean I think they “deserve” a claim at the national title, but whatever. They did everything they could and realistically the system that exists never would have given them a shot no matter what they did.

Personally, I think UCF's national championship is as fraudulent as the one Georgia Tech claims for 1990, but we can talk about that in the Nebraska hate thread after Friday night. Would you have known that Colley considers Notre Dame the 2012 champion and Alabama the 2016 champion (even though both lost in the national championship games) without having to look it up? We're getting pretty ridiculous with th5ose in particular.

Houston in 2016 gave the Group of 5 the blueprint for trying to get into the CFP. Had they gone undefeated, they'd have made the playoff. Two wins over teams who were ranked in the Top 5 at the time, with one of them being Big 12 champ Oklahoma? I think they'd be in over Washington if all else was the same-given UW's OOC was a joke in 2016 (Rutgers, Portland State, and Idaho).

UCF was the rightful champ last year. Beat several very good teams, and beat the team that beat both title contenders. UCF isn't making themselves look dumb. A lot of people think their claim is valid because it is.

UCF was the rightful champ last year. Beat several very good teams, and beat the team that beat both title contenders. UCF isn't making themselves look dumb. A lot of people think their claim is valid because it is.

But what about the team that beat the team that beat the team that beat the team that beat the team? This is such a ridiculous and hilarious notion. If that’s all it took to be a “champion” every team in every sport is a champion.

Back