What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Outlook for the rest of the season

Every team we've played this year has been able to move the ball, got lucky against the dildos that they kept fumbling the ball.

105th in defensive FPI, refuse to believe the talent is that bad.
the 12 men on the field on defense penalties really hurt too. Something isn’t right with the defense they are using. Is it too complicated?

There are no easy games left this season. Arizona took USC to triple OT and beat WSU. That one will be fun.

Our offense is explosive and fun to watch.. We need a full 4 quarters of that.

Last edited:
I was kinda shocked by Primes cross armed, silent cardboard like coaching posture. He was an absent HC doing an observational approach. 90% of the program is in exceptional shape and trending up because of Prime’s brilliance and considering the time frame.
The final 10%, Head Coaching was lacking. Pull some levers coach, manipulate the game. Great players alone cannot always win games. Coach Barnett does not lose that game.
I believe in Coach Prime 1000%. He’s going to fix the issues, whether it’s coaching or recruiting more players who fit the system. But I don’t think it can happen this season. Beating Stanford was key to getting to a bowl game.

the 12 men on the field on defense penalties really hurt too. Something isn’t right with the defense they are using. Is it too complicated?

There are no easy games left this season. Arizona took USC to triple OT and beat WSU. That one will be fun.

Our offense is explosive and fun to watch.. We need a full 4 quarters of that.
The 12 men penalties are almost assuredly a result of constant personnel changes. Who is starting at what positions and in which personnel packages. It’s week 7 and they still don’t have a set lineup.

After reflecting on the loss, I think it was ultimately on coaching. The multiple illegal substitution penalties, the repeated inability to stop the same play, and not even trying to establish the run with a massive second-half lead all come to mind. At this point in his career, there are legitimate questions about Deion as a gameday coach IMO. Having said that, it's important to remember how new he is to this. He only started coaching college football in 2020. Hopefully, that's the stuff that improves with time. We know he's an incredible competitor and knows the game as well as anyone. Even making it to this point so quickly is a huge achievement.

As a Buffs fan, I'm conditioned to expect the worst, but there's still real hope for this program moving forward. That's certainly more than we had one year ago.

A LOT of work to do on the “disciplined” part

Obviously some of the penalties are fixable via coaching like all the 12 men on the field calls. But I also don't think it's a coincidence that the least penalized game we had was officiated by non pac 12 refs. I did have to check because I thought normally visiting teams supply refs but it looks like the crew that did the TCU game was Big12

When this team losses, are posters always extremely overreactive like you are? You do realize each Saturday tells a different story. What might happen against this team might not happen to the next team.
It’s a Zandi (and select others) special lol

we need 2 wins to bowl. it is achievable. last night was a master class in poor management. it will get fixed. we have some guys that can change ANY game against ANY opponent but they do not walk on water and we cannot assume they will be able to bail us out of any fix we put ourselves in.

i believe we will win at least 2 more games.

as for our visiting trolls... your mothers smoke dead green donkey packers in hell for all eternity and your sisters are toothless meth hos with scabs all over their faces.

have a nice day.
So Nebraska I-80 truck stop 3-5’s?

I recommend people listening to the 15 minute segment Klatt did on the CU/Stanford game in his most recent podcast. He breaks it down pretty well, IMO, but below are cliff notes.

1. CU had 17 penalties and is the most undisciplined team in the country, now averaging double digit penalties per game
- Specifically called out Hunter for his Unsportsmanlike on 3rd down

2. Game Management - "When you're up 29-0 at half, your goal in the 2nd half isn't to win 63-0, it's to WIN". Have to shorten the game in the second half, even if that means you're not moving the ball as well and punting more frequently.
- Poor decisions to go for it on 4th down multiple times
- Throwing more than running in the 2nd half
- Trying to play fast with no huddle

3. QB Errors - He was critical of Shedeur taking sacks and grounding penalty on 4th down, along with throwing up a 50/50 ball in OT. He acknowledged that SS was the reason they were winning and had a chance, but his decision making and situational football was not good.

4. Defensive Schematic Issues - The broad point was that when you're up 4 scores in the second half, the ONLY goal on defense should be forcing the other team to drive the length of the field and not giving up big plays. The schematic issue was that his review of the film showed that CU was mostly playing single high Safety, man coverage, which is the exact opposite of how you don't give up bit plays. He went on to talk about how CU made no effort to drop a LB into the slant zones or make any adjustments in playcalling or alignment/technique.

5. Decision to play Travis 157 total snaps... Targeted as a CB 19 times and Stanford started 1/6 when targeting him. The rest of the way, Stanford was 10/13 for 153 yards and 2 TDs. He was exhausted in the second half and was clearly not in good enough game shape to play that much.

The broad takeaway from Klatt is that CU is a high ceiling and very low floor team. CU has to manage the floor and that starts with Prime and the coaching staff managing the game far better than they did on Friday if they are going to have any shot at a bowl game.

Last edited:
I recommend people listening to the 15 minute segment Klatt did on the CU/Stanford game in his most recent podcast. He breaks it down pretty well, IMO, but below are cliff notes.

1. CU had 17 penalties and is the most undisciplined team in the country, now averaging double digit penalties per game

2. Game Management - "When you're up 29-0 at half, your goal in the 2nd half isn't to win 63-0, it's to WIN". Have to shorten the game in the second half, even if that means you're not moving the ball as well and punting more frequently.

3. QB Errors - He was critical of Shedeur taking sacks and grounding penalty on 4th down, along with throwing up a 50/50 ball in OT. He acknowledged that SS was the reason they were winning and had a chance, but his decision making and situational football was not good.

4. Defensive Schematic Issues - The broad point was that when you're up 4 scores in the second half, the ONLY goal on defense should be forcing the other team to drive the length of the field and not giving up big plays. The schematic issue was that his review of the film showed that CU was mostly playing single high Safety, man coverage, which is the exact opposite of how you don't give up bit plays. He went on to talk about how CU made no effort to drop a LB into the slant zones or make any adjustments in playcalling or alignment/technique.

5. Decision to play Travis 157 total snaps... Targeted as a CB 19 times and Stanford was only 1/6 when targeting him. The rest of the way, Stanford was 10/13 for 153 yards and 2 TDs. He was exhausted in the second half and was clearly not in good enough game shape to play that much.

The broad takeaway from Klatt is that CU is a high ceiling and very low floor team. CU has to manage the floor and that starts with Prime and the coaching staff managing the game far better than they did on Friday if they are going to have any shot at a bowl game.
Yeah that about sums it up. Players and coaches have soul searching to do, but especially the coaches

Yeah that about sums it up. Players and coaches have soul searching to do, but especially the coaches
From a player perspective, my concern with Prime is whether he's truly holding Shedeur and Travis accountable in the same way he's holding the rest of the team accountable. Omarion Cooper gets pulled for slipping and giving up the 97 yard TD in a situation that was a complete coaching failure from a scheme and playcalling perspective. Same thing with Cormani. Meanwhile, Travis and Carter Stoutmire are getting absolutely roasted the entire 2nd half and they are both left in the game to continue getting roasted.

From a coaching perspective, is Prime laying into the staff, specifically the two coordinators, the same way he's laying into the players? I sure hope so, because that second half performance was much more about incompetent coaching than it was about poor player execution.

From a player perspective, my concern with Prime is whether he's truly holding Shedeur and Travis accountable in the same way he's holding the rest of the team accountable. Omarion Cooper gets pulled for slipping and giving up the 97 yard TD in a situation that was a complete coaching failure from a scheme and playcalling perspective. Same thing with Cormani. Meanwhile, Travis and Carter Stoutmire are getting absolutely roasted the entire 2nd half and they are both left in the game to continue getting roasted.

From a coaching perspective, is Prime laying into the staff, specifically the two coordinators, the same way he's laying into the players? I sure hope so, because that second half performance was much more about incompetent coaching than it was about poor player execution.
100%

I hope all of the staff including Prime has a copy of Extreme Ownership and Dichotomy of Leadership on their nightstand right now. Some valuable lessons they could glean from those two books

5. Decision to play Travis 157 total snaps... Targeted as a CB 19 times and Stanford started 1/6 when targeting him. The rest of the way, Stanford was 10/13 for 153 yards and 2 TDs. He was exhausted in the second half and was clearly not in good enough game shape to play that much.
The crazy part is those two issues don't even need Klatt or people with high football IQ to point out. ****ty fans on the Allbuffs pointed them out over and over and over and over and over here. How the coaches were not aware of them is truly scary.

If players aren’t prepping like they should then all the coaching in the world isn’t going to help. There’s a reason why a lot of these players left their programs to come here, probably because of their crappy practice habits and they thought they could waltz in here and show how “great” they really are. Next portal season, Prime is going to have to be more selective in who he accepts, dig deeper into their backgrounds. Anybody see Mitchell at inside LB last weekend? Why was T. Woods playing in his position? Not blaming the players 100% but most of the blame probably lies with them and being prepared. I suspect though a few coaches are feeling a little uncomfortable this morning.

After reflecting on the loss, I think it was ultimately on coaching. The multiple illegal substitution penalties, the repeated inability to stop the same play, and not even trying to establish the run with a massive second-half lead all come to mind. At this point in his career, there are legitimate questions about Deion as a gameday coach IMO. Having said that, it's important to remember how new he is to this. He only started coaching college football in 2020. Hopefully, that's the stuff that improves with time. We know he's an incredible competitor and knows the game as well as anyone. Even making it to this point so quickly is a huge achievement.

As a Buffs fan, I'm conditioned to expect the worst, but there's still real hope for this program moving forward. That's certainly more than we had one year ago.
Troy Taylor's staff pantsed the entire CU coaching staff on national TV. They all ought to be deeply embarrassed.

Very much agree with #5. I thought maybe he'd play the first series in the 3rd quarter and that would be it. I think it all changed when they started the comeback, but he shouldn't have been playing at that point.

Season 3 Episode 23 GIF by The Simpsons

It’s harder to judge when we don’t hand the ball off.
I hear you, but CU actually has attempted 227 rushes so far. Granted, a lot of QB sacks are built into the numbers, but CU averages 2.7 ypc. I think that is a big enough sample size to say the run game is non-existent, or at least, impotent. CU is pass heavy, but still runs the ball about 42 % of the time.

I hear you, but CU actually has attempted 227 rushes so far. Granted, a lot of QB sacks are built into the numbers, but CU averages 2.7 ypc. I think that is a big enough sample size to say the run game is non-existent, or at least, impotent. CU is pass heavy, but still runs the ball about 42 % of the time.
How did Dylan get four touchdowns in 6000 yards versus TCU?

Trying to figure out how our running back had such good offensive production in that game and we haven’t found it since
DE had 6 carries for 24 yards and 1 TD against TCU. He had a ton of receiving yards though. 5 for 135 and 3 TD's.

As a group, the RB's rushed for 70 yards on 28 carries, so the run game wasn't all that against TCU, averaging 2.5 ypc.

Need to look at the efficiency, not raw numbers, of which the RBs have been a positive efficiency:

1697489637830.png

Sacks just create too much statistical noise in CFB. PFF summary is RBs are getting solid grades, OL isn't good at run blocking (not a huge surprise) but RBs have been somewhat efficient:

1697489716593.png

This all seems just about right to me

Back