1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pac 12 BBall Starting times are ridiculous

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by buffedup, Feb 27, 2013.

1. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Why are Pac 12 games constantly starting at 10:00 PM ET or later? We have our own damn network, we can broadcast most games whenever we want. Plus the marquee matchups will be picked up by the major networks at appropriate times.

Honestly, I think this does not help Pac 12 national exposure when over half the conference games are still being played after midnight ET. Same goes for football.

Now get off my lawn!

2. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

This. LS did that marketing tour a few years ago in NYC and talked about increasing the exposure of the conference nationally yet they continue to play games on a network that is not on DTV or many cable systems and at times when a high percentage of the country is asleep.

3. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

So you guys want Pac-12 games played at 7 ET? That's 4pm where most of the conference is located. We're a west coast league now, plan accordingly. There's going to be some late starts.

4. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

I would be cool with that.

But I think the point is that we could have Home games at 5pm MT (7pm ET), or Away games at 7pm MT (9pm ET), but no more games at 8pm MT (10pm ET)or 9pm MT (11pm ET).

5. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

+1

6. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

We will never have a 5pm MT weekday tip in a Pac-12 game. Never. Not even an option.

Don't think in terms of MT, think in terms of PT. That's what the league is doing. When 10 of 12 members spend at least some part of the year lining up with a timezone, that's how you're going to schedule. An 8pm local start, with a guaranteed slot on ESPN2, would be attractive to any league.

7. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

That would be fine for us in CO, but on west coast and their 80 or 100 million TV sets, they are still at work.

I thought the idea was to position pac12 games as those regular late night games on east coast. They air live AFTER east coast conference games. Dont think pac12 games are goint to steal share on east coast from BIg, big east, acc, sec. Late night gives pac12 a market to sell network content to east coast and national carriers -although obviously that strategy hasnt been overly successful in this first year or so.

8. HuskerHater

HuskerHater Club Member Club Member

Increasing national exposure while not having the the largest (or 2nd largest. Comcast is right there.) cable network on board doesn't really impress me. If Larry Scott could eliminate time zones that would impress me.

9. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

yeah you try working in denver and being there by 5

10. McBuffin

McBuffin Member

Not only that, but I was looking at Pac-12 Tournament game times this morning. Semifinals at 9 and 11:30 ET. Championship game at 11 ET. No wonder the East Coast keeps getting screwed on the Pac-12 Network. No one here is actually awake when they air the games.

11. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Yeah that'd be a great way to kill our momentum in attendance

12. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

I love these late start times. I get so much done during the day and can get to the games after work.

13. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Yeah, they should schedule the games when nobody can actually get to them, but they could get a few thousand more viewers on the east coast. Why isn't Larry Scott thinking of these things?

14. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

+1

The East Coast conference we are not. Play in the West, start times to accomodate the local market. At least we have our own network so the unlucky East Coasters can watch their teams play.

15. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I guess part of my gripe comes from the fact that my job is focused mainly on business on the east coast so I am typically ready for, or in bed by the time CU games start. I haven't gone to a single home game this year during the week.

16. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Really don't see it as ridiculous at all. Tonight's game starts at 8 PST. That's better than the game I'm going to tomorrow that starts at 9 EST. It's not like the Pac-12 starts games later than everyone else in their respective time zones. This is what we get playing in a West Coast league, this was clearly going to be the case.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  17. CVilleBuff

Well, actually, the Pac-12 network is essentially non-existent out here.

18. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Maybe the numbers wouldn't work, but I always thought that an alliance between the ACC and Pac-12 would have been an amazing national network that would have worked perfectly with the regional carrier 2nd channel model used by PACN. Conferences align extremely well on academics and olympic sports while being in balanced time zones.

19. CarolinaBuff

My point is that LS said he want to promote this conference nationally but then they continue to play games with very late start times for a large portion of the country. Yes it's a west coast conference and you can schedule how you want and not worry about the eastern and central time zones, but then sit there and say you're trying to promote the conference nationally.

20. CVilleBuff

That would be amazing. No conference more similar to the Pac than the ACC, and the interest works both ways, believe me. It's not just us who would like greater exposure in the East. These schools want visibility in the West to connect with alumni, etc. Encourage scheduling between the leagues, hell, within the past year, Virginia has signed home and homes in football with Oregon, UCLA, Stanford (and Boise State and BYU). There's a clear desire on both ends for greater visibility.

21. BuffaloSoldier76

BuffaloSoldier76 Unsound Meat

Most of what those statements were driven by is football, and there aren't nearly as many die hard, regular season basketball fans in this country. It sucks that people on the east coast have to stay up really late to watch our games if they can even get them, but it wouldn't do any good for national perception if it looked like nobody was going to these games because they were scheduled for east coast TV.

22. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Not sure about Comcast availablility but I do know Dish is available. The Pac really needs to get the deal done with DTV. Either way, there is more availability for CU and Pac basketball than there ever has been on the East Coast so the situation is better than it was say even 2 years ago.

23. CVilleBuff

Our improved play has helped, as has ESPN games. Although in my experience we did get a fair amount of games back in the FSN days, even with CU being horrible. The situation is such that you are incredibly lucky to find the Network, even in major cities like DC it's a rare discovery at a bar.

24. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

It's a rare discovery at bars here in California too. Most bars have Direct TV.

It's funny though. If the games are on espn2 I have to go to bar to watch them as I don't get it at home. If they are on Pac12 Network, I have to watch them at home because bars don't get the Pac12 Network.

25. Buffnik

I expect the deal with DTV will be done for next football season.

26. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

I expected a deal with DTV would be done before the last football season.

27. SF_BUFF

SF_BUFF Member

Thank you for qualifying your original statement. It didn't make much sense until you posted this.

Gracias.

28. CarolinaBuff

Wow, that's pretty bad. They really need to strike a deal with DTV. Time Warner carries the P12 network around here but like you said just about every bar has DTV.

29. Buffnik

NFL is king.

30. AKfan

AKfan New Member

The reverse is true as well. My wife is an Indiana alumni and most of their games are over by the time we get home from work. The western portion of the country is missing east coast games unless they record them. I love the Pac 12 start times.