What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PAC-12 Coaches and Storylines

The narrative that Whittingham runs the AD has not been true in the past - in fact there was a lot of tension with some of the decisions made by the AD - a policy to not give assistants long term contracts, not giving assistants competitive pay raises, etc. That may change now with a new AD at Utah but Chris Hill was firmly in charge of the AD at Utah. There have long been rumors of Whittingham's frustration with the AD.

What I wonder about Chip Kelly (and lord knows I want him to fail there worse than Hawkins did here) is - will he have the moral wiggle-room at UCLA that he did at Oregon?

The world has caught up to Chip Kelly’s offense. I still bet he runs the most organized and efficient practices out there. I think that makes him competitive in the PAC-12 and a step up over Mora...but not the world beater he was at Oregon.

The world has caught up to Chip Kelly’s offense. I still bet he runs the most organized and efficient practices out there. I think that makes him competitive in the PAC-12 and a step up over Mora...but not the world beater he was at Oregon.
I’m not saying he will be great but no one has caught up to spread offenses let alone chip Kelly’s.

No doubt. A lot of the financial pressure is gone now since the school said they would cover some of the extreme construction costs the AD got absolutely screwed with but still a challenge. Luckily Cal has a ton of local talent, gets a ton of unofficial visits since Stanford is so close and Wilcox is a young personality that seems to do a great job connecting with the new generation. I was shocked they did as well as they did last year and if he can keep that going then look out.
Yep. Most people, including the media save for Jon Wilner, don't really understand what the financial issue at Cal is (was). Operationally, they don't lose money. They actually operate in the black most years. The red is 100% debt service payments of ~ 17M per year. Well, over half of that is about to be wiped off their books entirely. And their new media and uniform deals will add about a combined 8M per year in new money. They'll be in the black operationally, and debt payments, within two years. If Wilcox turns out to be good, he'll be set. Within the next four years they'll build new bball, softball, and beach volley facilities. The sky was never going to fall.

Other thoughts:
Chip for sure doesn't have the rope he had at Oregon. In fact, he had to do a lot of recruiting clean up after Mora left. JM had offered tons of scholarships to very marginal students that the school had Chip back out on. It'll be a different playbook for him in LA.

Utah is a pretty great job for an aging coach (58). No pressure, great facilities, and the pay is good, amazing actually when you consider low COL. I would guess he retires there, I would.

I’m not saying he will be great but no one has caught up to spread offenses let alone chip Kelly’s.

Spread offenses have been around since the 1920s. Teams caught up then and have caught up to every new spread innovation since. Defenses react to new offensive schemes-always have always will.

Lots of teams now run that Oregon no Huddle spread and defenses have had to adapt. In 2010 there was only Oregon.

Spread offenses have been around since the 1920s. Teams caught up then and have caught up to every new spread innovation since. Defenses react to new offensive schemes-always have always will.

Lots of teams now run that Oregon no Huddle spread and defenses have had to adapt. In 2010 there was only Oregon.
We have been over this many times on this board and it simply isn't true.

A defense can know what it’s supposed to do against a spread offense. That doesn’t mean it can actually do it. Look at the CU teams in the late 80’s or the OU teams in the mid 80’s or the NU teams in the mid 90’s running the option. EVERYBODY knew how to defend it, that didn’t mean they could. With that in mind, it will really come down to what kind of athletes Chip can recruit to UCLA to run his system.

I personally think he’s a horrible cultural fit in Westwood, but the folks at UCLA didn’t ask for my opinion when they hired him.

We have been over this many times on this board and it simply isn't true.

Your argument is tantamount to defenses don't change and adapt. When really defenses change as much as offenses...especially in the personnel they select. Linebackers are smaller and faster...especially in the spread-crazy PAC12. etc...

You see your share of field-position defenses (to accompany a ball control offense) like those employed by Stanford and Utah. Both have been lethal against Kelly's spread at Oregon. These aren't your 1980s ball control defenses, they are tuned to address the wide splits and crush the spread. In fact KW has become the spread destroyer.

You see anti-spread BdB defenses (usually used by another spread team) that concede a good spread offense is going to get theirs, but all the D needs to do is to limit explosiveness enough to allow their offense to score more points.

Can't see how you say that defenses aren't adapting to the spread as it continues to morph.

I personally think he’s a horrible cultural fit in Westwood, but the folks at UCLA didn’t ask for my opinion when they hired him.

I don't agree. Chip isn't a guy that wants to deal with the media or booster types. UCLA is a perfect fit for him since, in LA, no one cares about UCLA football. Seriously, they could reach the CFP and barely anyone would notice. It would be like the tenth biggest story line in LA behind what Lebron had for lunch, the Dodgers choking in the playoffs again, whatever the Rams are doing, USC football, UCLA basketball, and waaaaayyyy down below that would be UCLA football behind the Kings probably. It may seem crazy to say you can be anonymous in a market like LA, but if that's what you want, UCLA football is the place to do it.

Your argument is tantamount to defenses don't change and adapt. When really defenses change as much as offenses...especially in the personnel they select. Linebackers are smaller and faster...especially in the spread-crazy PAC12. etc...

You see your share of field-position defenses (to accompany a ball control offense) like those employed by Stanford and Utah. Both have been lethal against Kelly's spread at Oregon. These aren't your 1980s ball control defenses, they are tuned to address the wide splits and crush the spread. In fact KW has become the spread destroyer.

You see anti-spread BdB defenses (usually used by another spread team) that concede a good spread offense is going to get theirs, but all the D needs to do is to limit explosiveness enough to allow their offense to score more points.

Can't see how you say that defenses aren't adapting to the spread as it continues to morph.
I never once said defenses don't adapt, all I said was that Chip's offense still works in college football. He did a great job putting up points against Stanford so I don't really see the point there.

mac is #6 on usa todays coaches on the hot seat 2018....my opinion is his seat isnt very hot unless all the wheels come off

I never once said defenses don't adapt, all I said was that Chip's offense still works in college football. He did a great job putting up points against Stanford so I don't really see the point there.

All a defense has to do is make sure that opponents score less points than their own team's offense

Is four conference wins “all the wheels coming off””?

Three?

Two?
Seems like 3-4 are the water mark for conference wins. MikMac cannot turn in losing season number 5 out of 6.

3 W's are there for the taking, as CU should be favored over csewe, New Hampshire and Oregon St.

CU is going to have to find a way to compete and take the other three from NU and the P12. In a lot of ways, the NU game is a pivotal game. Lose that one and bowl hopes take a hit.

If CU sweeps the OOC, getting to 6 wins is likely.

SC and UW are very difficult games.

The AZ schools are vulnerable, so is Cal, Wazzu and fUCLA.

Utah is always a tough game for CU.

6-6 would be a pretty good year. I hope they make it.

6-6 and MacIntyre is gone. CU will move on with a 0.500 record or worse. MacIntyre has had every break imaginable, that previous CU coaches would have died for. Beautiful new facilities, more money and long-term contracts for assistant coaches, greater ability to recruit jucos due mainly to NCAA raising eligibility standards for jucos, on campus recruiting visits , etc etc. The people at CU want to see results NOW - it is year 6, with many new coaches in the PAC 12. It is about winning this year.

Last edited:
6-6 and MacIntyre is gone. CU will move on with a 0.500 record or worse. MacIntyre has had every break imaginable, that previous CU coaches would have died for. Beautiful new facilities, more money and long-term contracts for assistant coaches, greater ability to recruit jucos due mainly to NCAA raising eligibility standards for jucos, on campus recruiting visits , etc etc. The people at CU want to see results NOW - it is year 6, with many new coaches in the PAC 12. It is about winning this year.
I am curious how you reach this conclusion. Not being a snark, just wondering. My observations are that a team that doesn't get blown out, stays out of trouble and wins a conference game here and there is sufficient for the PTB. 6-6 would send them into handsprings.

I am curious how you reach this conclusion. Not being a snark, just wondering. My observations are that a team that doesn't get blown out, stays out of trouble and wins a conference game here and there is sufficient for the PTB. 6-6 would send them into handsprings.

I thought so, too, but I have been disavowed of this belief in the last couple of weeks based on a couple of conversations. He gone at 6-6 or worse. 7-5 or better, I bet money he tries to leave just like he did last year. The key people at CU will not be crying if he is gone.

I thought so, too, but I have been disavowed of this belief in the last couple of weeks based on a couple of conversations. He gone at 6-6 or worse. 7-5 or better, I bet money he tries to leave just like he did last year. The key people at CU will not be crying if he is gone.
He didn’t try to leave. False narrative.

Ahh the old “based on conversations I’ve had” scoooop! Gotta love fans with “sources”.

Unless he gets hired away, he’ll be back with a 6-6 record and bowl game appearance.

"The key people at CU will not be crying if he is gone" is such a half-hearted, throwaway statement. There are about 15 schools total who would be distraught over their HC leaving.

Unless your AD is Mike Bohn and the prospect of a coaching search is truly terrifying as a fan, I would hope RG has contingencies in place for a variety of scenarios.

"The key people at CU will not be crying if he is gone" is such a half-hearted, throwaway statement. There are about 15 schools total who would be distraught over their HC leaving.

Unless your AD is Mike Bohn and the prospect of a coaching search is truly terrifying as a fan, I would hope RG has contingencies in place for a variety of scenarios.
Brilliant.:ROFLMAO:

Back