1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pac-12 Coordinator of Officials RESIGNS

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

SAN FRANCISCO – Tony Corrente, Pac-12 Coordinator of Football Officiating, resigned Tuesday citing personal and professional reasons, and Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott has appointed Jim Blackwood as interim coordinator, the Conference said today.

Blackwood's officiating career includes more than two decades as a college conference coordinator and 10 years as an NFL instant replay official. He was previously serving as the Instant Replay Supervisor under Corrente. Blackwood will work closely with Pac-12 Command Center Supervisor Rich Rose and the seven other position Supervisors and report to Pac-12 head of football Woodie Dixon.

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott expressed his appreciation for Corrente’s service to the Conference. “Under Tony’s leadership, our program made great strides in improving the quality, accountability and consistency. While it’s unfortunate that Tony has decided to leave us at this time, I want to express my appreciation for his contribution, and for leaving our officiating program strong and headed in the right direction.”

Blackwood will serve as interim coordinator for the remainder of the season and the Pac-12 will begin a search for a permanent replacement after the season.

About Jim Blackwood

Blackwood’s career as a coordinator of football officials spans more than two decades. After 14 years as a referee in the Southland Conference, he became that conference’s coordinator of football officials from 1989 to 1999, when he was named the coordinator for the Western Athletic Conference, from which he retired in 2012. Jim also was the executive director of the Texas Association of Sports Officials from 1992 until 2001.

In addition he served as an instant replay official for the National Football League from 1999 until 2008. He has been a mentor to countless officials over the years, and was a pioneer in the use of video to train, educate and evaluate officials and to provide a safer environment for athletes.

http://pac-12.com/article/2014/10/0...ing-tony-corrente-resigns-conference-appoints

2. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

I hope this changes things but I doubt it will.

3. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Hire the second man in charge of secs officials.

4. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

Wow. Suspect our game was part of this development? Hmmm....

:popcorn:

Can't hurt anything.

5. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Just a small part of a long and pervasive pattern of bad officiating. We are not the only school by a long sight to have games impacted by lousy officiating in the PAC.

6. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

mid season resignation? This was probably one of those "you can resign, or you can get fired" type situations.

Damn, HCMM has some serious clout at headquarters. That fine was just so Larry Scott could save face :lol:.

7. Eggon

Unquestionably.

But I have never Booed till my voice was gone before. Felt a bit embarrassed when I gave it some thought.

However there is a philly alum season ticket holder right behind me who was way more explicit. His wife was also. Made me feel better. :lol:

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Philadelphia fans set the standard. :lol:

9. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

lipstick on a pig.

10. Eggon

The guy is a firkin hoot! Adds greatly to the section. It's taking root in the NE corner. Still a tad quiet, but coming along.

11. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

It can't hurt, but the problem goes far deeper. It is nice to have a shakeup after being robbed, though.

12. 30Something

30Something Distinguished Brotha Club Member

They may have called it a "fine", but that money was set aside to either 1) pay severance to Corrente, or 2) fund a signing bonus for the new guy. I'm sure Larry Scott discussed the particulars with HCMM in advance. :thumbsup:

13. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

I always thought Corrente was a ****ty ref in the nfl

14. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

15. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Mike Carey? West coast guy, long respected career in the NFL, recently retired.

16. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

NO such thing as a "coincidence"! Hope that the "message" sent is widely considered.

CU clearly had two games in a row significantly affected by pi*s-poor officiating (with HCMM very vocal in protesting poor calls in both games---that last Buff play in the OSU game had three obvious penalties with none called: Spruce, PI: McC was held and Sefo strongly thrown into the turf after releasing the pass).

THEN, that late national game, UCLA/UU, on Saturday almost became the poster child for terrible Pac officiating when UCLA was given a second chance at a winning FG on horrible "running into the kicker" call, (UCLA kicker deliberately walked into a rolling Ute player, who barely brushed his calf, and then dropped like a rock) which gave UCLA chance #2 at avoiding an upset.

Guess all those who "lamented" MM's actions, now seem more than a bit foolish.

Somebody had to take a stand, HCMM twice did for his team and hopefully for benefit of the whole conference.

17. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

18. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

love this photo
    dqtgm9icbn4khmxkyppn.jpg

19. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

he's just as a ****ty... maybe We should convince Hocculi to teach his son how to ref

20. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Mac would make a good zombie on the walking dead, look at that bite radius lol jk.

21. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

That's right, all referees suck. He was actually one of the best and coaches respected him.

Plus the dude lives in SoCal and started a ski and snowboard apparel company, what's more Pac12 than that?

22. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I have to say the timing of this is an indication that the league realizes there is a serious problem with the football officiating.

I don't know what the answer is, though. How hard can it be to find competent officials?

23. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

**** I'll do it.

I can be objective and ****.

24. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

FIFY

25. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I'm not sure if it was for "personal" reasons or not. But it makes me feel better to think it was because he got **** canned because of the ****ty calls against CU, :lol:

26. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

I dunno if it had much to do with the CU and UU games. We don't have much clout yet and neither does UU.

It is fun to think about though.

(BTW, Wazzou might have more right to bitch than we do - I was stunned when they didn't review that obvious TD on the last possession. Although, they rushed to the line and snapped the ball very quickly too - something they didn't have to do, since they had a TO in hand.)

27. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

We don't know and won't know what happened behind closed doors. We do know that M2 was very front and center about the issue.

Pure speculation on this but I think a huge difference came from what happened behind the scenes. In the past it wouldn't shock me at all if the administration including the Athletic Director responded with an immediate backpedal cutting the knees out from under the coach.

It may very well be that a big difference this time is having a guy like Rich George who is willing to support his coach behind the scenes and push for action. Yes there was a fine, the league had to make a show of supporting the officials.

I don't think it is a coincidence that this when something happens. I also don't think that this kind of change happens because a coach gets upset, it does happen because other voices who may be closer to the top of the food chain get involved.

Did Rich George take action to support M2? I have no idea but it does make some sense.

28. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

He's a really nice guy. I waited on him at a restaurant up in Vail a few years ago. I wouldn't mind him coming in to take over.... plus, this conference is severely lacking in quality since Dinwiddie went to the NBA

29. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

You can't help but associate the "resignation" with all the attention that has been placed on the craptacular officiating this year. It's a pretty easy association to make, whether there's anything to it or not.

30. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

Hochuli's sun is already a ref in the NFL: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/22/5742152/ed-hochuli-son-shawn-referees-2014