What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 expansion is now inevitable

Lol...there is a actually a thread over on OU's 247 board claiming that "Colorado is actually very interested in coming back...and that we have a group of boosters working to pool the money for the buyout and make up for the lost television money."
"F*ck the Drive for 105, let's go back to the big-12"-RG to boosters.

Lol...there is a actually a thread over on OU's 247 board claiming that "Colorado is actually very interested in coming back...and that we have a group of boosters working to pool the money for the buyout and make up for the lost television money."

I live down here. I can attest to the level of delusion.

I live down here. I can attest to the level of delusion.

There is a total disconnect with the remaining Big 12 members. They still haven't grasped that Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M didn't want to be associated with them anymore. And of those, only CU was really motivated more about moving to something that was a better strategic fit for the university rather than getting away from Big 12 bull****.

Maybe they think that CU is the most likely to return? Because we hate them the least?

- They believe the tv $ is more from the big integer conference than the 12pac (but they never talk about the 10 team vice 12 team split).

- They have learned to live with uTerus and think everyone else should be able to as well.

- They still think the cultural fit is better based on geography.

There is a total disconnect with the remaining Big 12 members. They still haven't grasped that Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M didn't want to be associated with them anymore. And of those, only CU was really motivated more about moving to something that was a better strategic fit for the university rather than getting away from Big 12 bull****.

Maybe they think that CU is the most likely to return? Because we hate them the least?
They think we are the most likely to return because we've had the least amount of success from day 1 in our respective conferences. That's it.

They think we are the most likely to return because we've had the least amount of success from day 1 in our respective conferences. That's it.

Makes sense. All they think about is football success in terms of what would determine conference affiliation.

Makes sense. All they think about is football success in terms of what would determine conference affiliation.
The media is the same way. That awful SB Nation article the other week that suggested it, exclusively mentioned CU as the school Bill Snyder was referring to, because we had "buyers remorse" due to our w/l record in Pac 12

The media is the same way. That awful SB Nation article the other week that suggested it, exclusively mentioned CU as the school Bill Snyder was referring to, because we had "buyers remorse" due to our w/l record in Pac 12

That's not buyers remorse. We'd have sucked just as bad if we stayed in the B12.

What Snyder and the OU247 board need to know is that CU has Hawkins/Embree/Bohn/DiStefano remorse.

That's not buyers remorse. We'd have sucked just as bad if we stayed in the B12.

What Snyder and the OU247 board need to know is that CU has Hawkins/Embree/Bohn/DiStefano remorse.
I'm fairly certain CU would have not been good in the Big 12, but no way would they have been as bad as they've been in the Pac 12. I don't even think it is a question.

I'm fairly certain CU would have not been good in the Big 12, but no way would they have been as bad as they've been in the Pac 12. I don't even think it is a question.
I don't know about that. We'd probably beat KU every year, but a second win would still be a challenge.

Especially if the Big 12 had remained at an 8-game conference schedule with the same teams. I'm not sure that any of the group of KU, KSU, MU, NU and ISU was as good as any of the Pac-12 South teams we have been playing. Maybe MU during this period, but they still weren't scary because their offense took a nosedive from where it had been.

Eh, I disagree. Remember that we did win 5 games the last year in the Big 12 and could have easily won 3 more (should have beat KU :mad:, lost to Baylor by 6 and TTU by 3). We were competitive against the majority of the teams in the Big 12, but that wasn't even remotely close to the case going into the Pac 12 the next year. It was the perfect **** storm for the football program, when you combine our complete lack of defensive speed to keep up with Pac 12 spread offenses, the general lack of team talent, and an awful head coaching hire.

I'm not saying we'd be in a better place had we stuck around in the Big 12, but we would have won more football games over the last 5 seasons.

No. CU would have still been bad. Playing bad opponents does not make CU a better football team. It just improves the w/l record.

Especially if the Big 12 had remained at an 8-game conference schedule with the same teams. I'm not sure that any of the group of KU, KSU, MU, NU and ISU was as good as any of the Pac-12 South teams we have been playing. Maybe MU during this period, but they still weren't scary because their offense took a nosedive from where it had been.
Exactly. Every year in the Big 12, even during the Hawkins years, we could at least find is plausible beating KU, KSU and ISU, with Nebraska as a toss up. Can we find 4 "plausible" wins in the Pac 12 (YES! because if there isn't, we aren't going bowling...)

Exactly. Every year in the Big 12, even during the Hawkins years, we could at least find is plausible beating KU, KSU and ISU, with Nebraska as a toss up. Can we find 4 "plausible" wins in the Pac 12 (YES! because if there isn't, we aren't going bowling...)

The decision to join the PAC was during the Embree error.

Certainly you aren't saying that Embree would have been more successful if CU had stayed in the B12. That Fresno State loss was as bad as CU has ever been. Can you make a case Embree would have have beaten ISU or KU? The word was Embree had lost control of the lockerroom.

If CU would have stayed in the Big 12, would CU been able to have hired MacIntyre? Would CU donors have been able to pony up the donations for the new facilities? A case could be made that MacIntyre wouldn't have left SJSU to play in the B12. A case could be made that the P12 was key in energizing donors to build the championship center, riding the wave of donors on the west coast.

It's all speculative about the HC hire and the Champions Center.

It's pretty clear that CU's injuries were self-inflicted. The conference affiliation didn't make CU stumble. We did. And by we, I mean the CU family.

It's nice to finally be getting back on track. And it's comforting to recognize CU won't be leaving the new conference in order to chase dollars in the BigTex.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually I think we'd have 2 more wins or more. Then, with a false sense of security, we'd get it like hosed at the bowl game because the Texas ten is that lacking in competition....

The decision to join the PAC was during the Embree error.

Certainly you aren't saying that Embree would have been more successful if CU had stayed in the B12. That Fresno State loss was as bad as CU has ever been. Can you make a case Embree would have stayed another year of the Buffs would have beaten ISU or KU? The word was Embree had lost control of the lockerroom.

If CU would have stayed in the Pac12, would CU been able to have hired MacIntyre? Would CU donors have been able to pony up the donations for the new facilities? A case could be made that MacIntyre wouldn't have left SJSU to play in the B12. A case could be made that the P12 was key in energizing donors to build the championship center, riding the wave of donors on the west coast.

It's all speculative about the HC hire and the Champions Center.

It's pretty clear that CU's injuries were self-inflicted. The conference affiliation didn't make CU stumble. We did. And by we, I mean the CU family.

It's nice to finally be getting back on track. And it's comforting to recognize CU won't be leaving the new conference in order to chase dollars in the BigTex.
When was the decision to join the Pac 12 made? Embree's first year was 2011 and that was also our first year in the Pac 12. I'm assuming the decision was made before then, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, your post, while accurate and agreeable, has nothing to do with my original assertion. You summed it up in your response to patebuff... CU wouldn't have been a better team had they stayed in the Big 12, but they would have had more wins. I'm fully agreeable that CU is in a better place right now than they would have been had they stayed.

When was the decision to join the Pac 12 made? Embree's first year was 2011 and that was also our first year in the Pac 12. I'm assuming the decision was made before then, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, your post, while accurate and agreeable, has nothing to do with my original assertion. You summed it up in your response to patebuff... CU wouldn't have been a better team had they stayed in the Big 12, but they would have had more wins. I'm fully agreeable that CU is in a better place right now than they would have been had they stayed.

Part of the reason for the Embree hire was the huge budget shortfall created by switching conferences and getting nothing from either the Big 12 or the Pac-12 for a year.

So the decision was obviously made well before Embree was hired, correct?

June 11, 2010 is the date of the announcement.

CU did a fine job keeping a lid on that negotiation. No idea when the conversation started.

SEC new members: Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. The Sooners are the big prize and the tagalong Cowboys are the lottery winners by virtue of state politics and Boone Pickens.

Big Ten new members: Kansas and Connecticut. It would be a basketball-centric expansion for a conference that already has sufficient football flagships. It also would further the league’s foothold in the New York area, while simultaneously preventing UConn from being the single biggest loser of all realignment.

Pac-12 new members: Texas, BYU and two from a group of Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU and Houston. Or BYU could be the odd team out in favor of an all-Texas foursome.

ACC: Notre Dame and West Virginia. Or the Fighting Irish could continue their current relationship as a football scheduling partner and otherwise full ACC membership. The ACC could make do with 15 in football and 16 in basketball, or it could add Cincinnati to make it 16 and 17.

i don't see any way BYU gets into the PAC. Cal, Stanford and Utah would straight up oppose it. I don't know why CU would support it.

i don't see any way BYU gets into the PAC. Cal, Stanford and Utah would straight up oppose it. I don't know why CU would support it.

Likewise. They're just not there on research level or academic freedom even if we move the politics to the side.

June 11, 2010 is the date of the announcement.

CU did a fine job keeping a lid on that negotiation. No idea when the conversation started.

First heard about Scott kicking the tires with CU and Texas in November 2009.

Part of the reason for the Embree hire was the huge budget shortfall created by switching conferences and getting nothing from either the Big 12 or the Pac-12 for a year.

Actually, I thought it was something like 2 years?

The BigXII canceled the payment for the last year in conference (2010) as part of the contract for canceling membership. And the Pac12 didnt start paying us until the completion of the first year (2011) in conference. Add in Hawkins buyout and things were probably pretty skinny. So we played the tOSU game for $$$.

Actually, I thought it was something like 2 years?

The BigXII canceled the payment for the last year in conference (2010) as part of the contract for canceling membership. And the Pac12 didnt start paying us until the completion of the first year (2011) in conference. Add in Hawkins buyout and things were probably pretty skinny. So we played the tOSU game for $$$.

I'm almost positive you are right.

Not even sure if the GB and luxury suites were paid off yet, either.

Likewise. They're just not there on research level or academic freedom even if we move the politics to the side.
I honestly don't think the research level, academic standards, AAU status, etc are going to matter much, if at all, when the college football landscape changes this drastically to these super conferences... Especially if you subscribe to the idea that the super conferences will eventually move away from the NCAA altogether.

Back