What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pat Forde thinks MM may opt to go back to a G5 job

Sort of under the heading of a slow sports day eh 'Niks
I could see Cal losing their coach when Goff moves on. He's a once in a couple decade QB and Cal has other problems.

Cal has done an amazing job recruiting quarterbacks the last couple years though. They didn't even take full advantage of Goff this year since their o line struggled against the top teams.

It's irrelevant to the point, but the bolded is a little hyperbolic.

Is it, though? How often does a program have a QB who projects as a 1st round pick (let alone top 10)? For a P5 that's not a super elite, once every couple decades is probably about right.

Is it, though? How often does a program have a QB who projects as a 1st round pick (let alone top 10)? For a P5 that's not a super elite, once every couple decades is probably about right.
I guess when you put in terms of once every couple decades for Cal, or any singular program, you're right. I took it as Goff himself is a once in a couple decade talent at QB, which I think is hyperbolic. Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning and John Elway (to name a few) were these type of guys and Goff should not be viewed as that type of talent.

Actual results of Cal QB's drafted into the NFL.

2005 Aaron Rogers (1st round)
2003 Kyle Boller (1st)
1997 Pat Barnes (4th)
1995 Dave Barr (4th)
1992 Mike Pawlawski (8th)
1990 Troy Taylor (4th)
1981 Rich Cambpell (1st)
1977 Fred Besana (5th)
1975 Steve Bartkowski (1st overall in entire draft)
1965 Craig Morton (1st)
1959 Joe Kapp (18th)
1954 Paul Larson (8th)
1950 Bob Celeri (10th)
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=C&collegeName=California&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Actual results of Cal QB's drafted into the NFL.

2005 Aaron Rogers (1st round)
2003 Kyle Boller (1st)
1997 Pat Barnes (4th)
1995 Dave Barr (4th)
1992 Mike Pawlawski (8th)
1990 Troy Taylor (4th)
1981 Rich Cambpell (1st)
1977 Fred Besana (5th)
1975 Steve Bartkowski (1st overall in entire draft)
1965 Craig Morton (1st)
1959 Joe Kapp (18th)
1954 Paul Larson (8th)
1950 Bob Celeri (10th)
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=C&collegeName=California&abbrFlag=0&type=school

So maybe at Cal it's a "once every decade" type QB rather than "once every 2 decades" on average.

I guess when you put in terms of once every couple decades for Cal, or any singular program, you're right. I took it as Goff himself is a once in a couple decade talent at QB, which I think is hyperbolic. Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning and John Elway (to name a few) were these type of guys and Goff should not be viewed as that type of talent.

Yeah, didn't mean Goff himself was a once in a couple decade QB, just that there's a few really good QBs at any time in CFB, and it's unlikely that Dykes will have one as good as Goff again each and every year. His offense is QB friendly though and like at Texas Tech, they will set records. But Goff is going to go pretty high I think in the draft, and not all those Texas Tech guys did.

Back