What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pathway to the Playoff?

jrj84105

of course predicated on win in out. But here's how I see the path for CU/OU.

Pathways:
In play, in order of selection.
1) SEC Champ: Bama has clinched the West. Florida, at 7-2, is I think tenuously alive leaving the SEC with a shot at placing 2 teams.
2) SEC non-Champ: A 12-1 Bama, after losing the CCG would still be in.
3) B1G champ: Michigan, OSU, PSU, Wisc, and Neb are all in play if they win out.
4) B1G non-champ. OSU is in play as an 11-1 non champ.
5) ACC champ. Clemson and Louisville are still in play if they win out. The coastal division is out.
6a) PAC champ. UW, WSU, CU, and UU are in play if they win out.
6b) BigXII champ: OU, WVU, OKSU are in play if they win out.
8) undefeated Go5 champ. Western Michigan is in play if chaos produces multiple 3 loss P5 champs.

So, for Utah/Colorado to have a chance we need two of events 1-3 below and maybe number 4 below to happen:
1) Florida to lose (LSU, FSU, Bama remaining) which seems almost certain. ElimInates possibility of 2 SEC.
2) Ohio State (MSU, Mich) AND/OR Penn St (Rutgers, MSU) to lose one game. Puts Michigan or OSU in the CCG. Eliminates possibility of B1G non-champ being selected above 2 loss PAC champ.
3) Clemson or Louisville to lose the ACC championship.
4) Three loss BigXII champ OR two loss champ with bad style points. TCU beats OKSU beats OU beats WVU (most likely pathway for a 3 loss BigXII champ, but there are others). WVU beating OU and then losing ugly to Baylor would be a potential path.

I had a 5 step plan: Houston beats Louisville, Michigan wins Big 10. Buffs win 3.

1. Last night (eliminated Louisville)
2. Michigan beats Ohio State and wins Big 10 (eliminates Ohio St, PSU, Wisc)
3. Buffs win out

Buffs having the extra game against a top 10 Washington team will push them over Oklahoma regardless.
But, WVU beating OU helps, even at 11-1 would be behind the Buffs because they would have had ONE top 25 victory, the buffs would have 3, possibly 4. USC winning out would help.

1.) CU wins out.

2.). Chaos reigns supreme elsewhere. Still probably doesn't happen.

And I won't care. I had hoped for 7-8 wins and a bowl game and felt like a total homer saying that before the season.

Now for serious ****. My father in law had CU tickets from 1967 through year 4 of Halkins (couldn't stomach year 5). My mother in law has Alzheimer's and it's been getting worse, making it impossible to get him away for games. I did get him to OSU this year though.

Well, she fell and hit her head and had a hemorrhagic stroke yesterday. We are waiting for her to pass as the doctors say there is nothing to be done. But I'm taking him to a bowl game. I'm hoping to the Rose Bowl. Take his mind off of bad things and on to good things for a bit.

1.) CU wins out.

And I won't care. I had hoped for 7-8 wins and a bowl game and felt like a total homer saying that before the season.

Now for serious ****. My father in law had CU tickets from 1967 through year 4 of Halkins (couldn't stomach year 5). My mother in law has Alzheimer's and it's been getting worse, making it impossible to get him away for games. I did get him to OSU this year though.

Well, she fell and hit her head and had a hemorrhagic stroke yesterday. We are waiting for her to pass as the doctors say there is nothing to be done. But I'm taking him to a bowl game. I'm hoping to the Rose Bowl. Take his mind off of bad things and on to good things for a bit.

Prayers to you and your family.

1.) CU wins out.

That's real stuff right there. Karma and prayers....may you be able to help your FIL enjoy a nice day in the sun soon!

Thanks guys. Yeah...not fun right now. But having had Grandarents that had Alzheimer's for ten plus years, this isn't the worst way to go. She was starting to say he wasn't her husband. I set up Sling for him a month ago and she forgot I had been there 15 minutes later. The best MIL ever was probably 90% gone and was degenerating quickly. We've been watching videos and laughing and crying all day. Holding her hand and talking to her, even if she can't hear us.

And she would be up cheering CU if she could.

1.) CU wins out.

That's about how long my dad had tickets and when we dropped them. I think he initially got them in '62 or '63. Dropped year 5 of Hawkins. Never got so much as a phone call from the ADs office about it.

Prayers for your family. That is tough.

I'll go big picture with my take here:
SEC-I think Alabama is going to win the league, and I think they're in good enough shape to survive a loss to either Auburn or whatever 8 win team comes out of the East.
ACC-I think root against Clemson in all their games but South Carolina. If they lose to Wake or in their CCG, that frees up another spot. If they lose to the Gamecocks but still win that league, they'd enter a resume contest with us and a 2 loss B1G champ.
Big 12-I still have a hard time seeing how anybody there gets in. OU doesn't have a great win yet, and neither does WVU. Oklahoma State could feasibly beat them both, but that CMU loss is being perceived as such by the committee, and I see it as an albatross.
Our league-We need to win out and we need that to include a win over Washington. I think them losing the Apple Cup would bury any shot the league has at the playoff.
The B1G-Michigan as the champ would be ideal, but given they have to go to Ohio State, I don't think it's likely. I'm not worried about Penn State, and I honestly think our resume is stronger. The team that makes me nervous is Wisconsin. They've got wins over LSU, Nebraska, and they could play a Minnesota team next week that could wind up in the bottom part of the rankings as well. Worst case scenario would be Ohio State beating Michigan and then Wisconsin beating Penn State in the CCG.

My prayers are with your family FlatironsBuff.

Last edited:
Two teams are in at this point:
- Unless Bama loses to both Auburn and in the SEC championship game, they're in. So they're in.
- At least one Big 10 team will be in

That leaves 2 spots. If Clemson wins outs including the ACCCG, they're in. That leaves 1 spot.

The potentially big question is, if PSU or Wiscy wins the Big 10 and you have Ohio State sitting there at 11-1 with the best resume in college football, it would be tough to leave them out even though they wouldn't be in the Big 10 CG. You also have the Pac 12 champ CU or Utah with 2 losses, or Washington with 1 loss. And don't discount a Big 12 champ OU or WV if either wins out.

So assuming Clemson wins out, that leaves potentially 3 teams with good arguments for that final spot - a Big 10 team, a Pac12 champ, and a Big 12 champ

Back