What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phil Out

Lots of animas being directed at PD. šŸ˜†

I know many of us look at PD through our ā€œathletic department ā€œ lens. He definitely was a road block in the way of athletic success. Especially football. Aside from that, in which ways did he fail?
Can you point at something he actually accomplished? Has the academic reputation for the school improved?

Can you point at something he actually accomplished? Has the academic reputation for the school improved?
outdoor_pool_w_mountains_300_dpi.jpg

Lots of animus being directed at PD. šŸ˜†

I know many of us look at PD through our ā€œathletic department ā€œ lens. He definitely was a road block in the way of athletic success. Especially football. Aside from that, in which ways did he fail?
The better question is "in which ways did he succeed?"

By any peer comparison, the university is worse off than when he found it.

Yes, some absolute numbers are up, but when your peer's absolute numbers are even greater and you're losing ground...

Yes, he had a variety of funding and political challenges, but please tell me which peer institution did not also have funding and political challenges?

That's what annoys me most; by pretty much every single ranking against other universities, the school is worse off than it was when he took over. And it's not just athletics.

The better question is "in which ways did he succeed?"

By any peer comparison, the university is worse off than when he found it.

Yes, some absolute numbers are up, but when your peer's absolute numbers are even greater and you're losing ground...

Yes, he had a variety of funding and political challenges, but please tell me which peer institution did not also have funding and political challenges?

That's what annoys me most; by pretty much every single ranking against other universities, the school is worse off than it was when he took over. And it's not just athletics.
And as mentioned with the growth in Colorado and on the front range, both in population and in the economy, much of it high tech research based industries it's hard to argue against the idea that CU should have advanced against it's peers, not declined.

happy trails oid GIF by RENGEL

cool, cool. happy trails and such.

let's win some ****ing football games now.

Iā€™m surprised by the relative lack of activity in this thread since PD has been the source of so much AllBuffs animus over the years.

Personally, I already felt like PD was a lame duck after Saliman neutered PD and let PD walk away sans balls into a commercial about CU. Ultimately, the guy is just another mediocre person who happened to get lucky and find millions of dollars at work.

Lots of animus being directed at PD. šŸ˜†

How much time have you got?

1. As others have also mentioned, since he was hired as Chancellor in 2009, CU has seen its academic ranking in USNWR consistently decline. Many argue (rightfully) that USNWR uses a poor methodology to arrive at their rankings, but prospective students and their parents use those rankings when considering schools and failing to play the games to achieve better rankings is foolhardy- at best.
  2. Phil has taken a pro-diversity stance while delivering platitudes and no meaningful results.
    1. There was this video from 9 years ago, where he announced a "re-commitment" to improving the campus climate with respect to diversity.
    2. Nothing else happened, so then there was this video from 7 years ago, when Distefano vowed to "start the conversation" with regards to improving campus diversity.
    3. Nothing happened for four years, until Phil was finally harassed into approving the half-assed "IDEA" plan, and then being shady and transparent about who was appointed to the board. He was criticized for this, responded, and then nothing else happened.
    4. The numbers would seemingly be in his favor- ethnic minority enrollment has increased at CU from 15.1% in 2009 to 27.0% this year. However, at 4 year peer institutions, minority enrollment has gone from ~36% in 2010 to roughly 44% this fall. During his time, CU has gone from distantly lagging peer institutions to...distantly lagging behind peer institutions on this topic.
    5. Combine this with his "Plantation" remarks at the diversity summit- this was clumsy at best.
  3. Phil has bungled campus safety:
    1. In 2016, there was an armed man on campus. He was later shot and killed by police. Distefano elected not to close campus, and presided over official communications from the CU twitter account where they first characterized the reports as "false" and then "unconfirmed" at a time when police were actively clearing buildings on campus. When there were later reports of an active shooter at the UMC (which turned out to be a hoax) Phil again refused to close campus.
    2. In 2019, a person on CU's campus yelled slurs and confronted a black student. Phil responded by putting blame on the staff for "not moving fast enough" on anti-racist training and policies, and said he was "ready for a dialogue" on the subject. Black student groups offered a list of demands, which he ignored.
    3. In 2022, there was a credible threat to both CU and UCLA from an armed ex-UCLA professor. Social media posts showed him to be armed and located near the CU campus. UCLA moved all classes to Zoom in order to keep students safe. Phil did not follow suit.
  4. Phil has embarrassed the university with actions and inactions
    1. He barred reporters from his office during the "Freedom from Fossil Fuels" protests in 2017
    2. He presided over the hiring of John Eastman as temporary faculty, and then declined to take action against him after the events of January 6th.
    3. Tangentially related to athletics, he failed to take any action after Joe Tumpkin's incident was reported up the chain from MM to Rick George, to Distefano. The buck stopped with him and it's unclear why his head didn't roll after that incident.

I'm sure there's a number of things that I'm forgetting, but Phil D has been an unmitigated DISASTER for CU Boulder.

On the radio this morning, I heard an interview with him about what he will be doing starting next year. I paraphrase:

"I'm going to work in the center for leadership, doing research on leadership."

Maybe he'll finally understand what he wasn't. Somehow, I doubt it.

1. As others have also mentioned, since he was hired as Chancellor in 2009, CU has seen its academic ranking in USNWR consistently decline. Many argue (rightfully) that USNWR uses a poor methodology to arrive at their rankings, but prospective students and their parents use those rankings when considering schools and failing to play the games to achieve better rankings is foolhardy- at best.
  2. Phil has taken a pro-diversity stance while delivering platitudes and no meaningful results.
    1. There was this video from 9 years ago, where he announced a "re-commitment" to improving the campus climate with respect to diversity.
    2. Nothing else happened, so then there was this video from 7 years ago, when Distefano vowed to "start the conversation" with regards to improving campus diversity.
    3. Nothing happened for four years, until Phil was finally harassed into approving the half-assed "IDEA" plan, and then being shady and transparent about who was appointed to the board. He was criticized for this, responded, and then nothing else happened.
    4. The numbers would seemingly be in his favor- ethnic minority enrollment has increased at CU from 15.1% in 2009 to 27.0% this year. However, at 4 year peer institutions, minority enrollment has gone from ~36% in 2010 to roughly 44% this fall. During his time, CU has gone from distantly lagging peer institutions to...distantly lagging behind peer institutions on this topic.
    5. Combine this with his "Plantation" remarks at the diversity summit- this was clumsy at best.
    1. In 2016, there was an armed man on campus. He was later shot and killed by police. Distefano elected not to close campus, and presided over official communications from the CU twitter account where they first characterized the reports as "false" and then "unconfirmed" at a time when police were actively clearing buildings on campus. When there were later reports of an active shooter at the UMC (which turned out to be a hoax) Phil again refused to close campus.
    2. In 2019, a person on CU's campus yelled slurs and confronted a black student. Phil responded by putting blame on the staff for "not moving fast enough" on anti-racist training and policies, and said he was "ready for a dialogue" on the subject. Black student groups offered a list of demands, which he ignored.
    3. In 2022, there was a credible threat to both CU and UCLA from an armed ex-UCLA professor. Social media posts showed him to be armed and located near the CU campus. UCLA moved all classes to Zoom in order to keep students safe. Phil did not follow suit.
    1. He barred reporters from his office during the "Freedom from Fossil Fuels" protests in 2017
    2. He presided over the hiring of John Eastman as temporary faculty, and then declined to take action against him after the events of January 6th.
    3. Tangentially related to athletics, he failed to take any action after Joe Tumpkin's incident was reported up the chain from MM to Rick George, to Distefano. The buck stopped with him and it's unclear why his head didn't roll after that incident.

I'm sure there's a number of things that I'm forgetting, but Phil D has been an unmitigated DISASTER for CU Boulder.
Probably already mentioned, but he was the decision maker on the determination to not change Coloradoā€™s academic requirements for transfer athletes, despite overwhelming evidence and pressure to do so( until Saliman shoved it down his throat) causing enormous unnecessary disadvantages to CU athletics.

No kidding! Didnā€™t he announce a retirement before Prime was hired?
Sort of. He said he was ready to retire and then felt he should stay through the transition at CU President. I thought he was going to be done at the end of the previous fiscal instead of staying through this year.

And this is how one keeps receipts.

On the radio this morning, I heard an interview with him about what he will be doing starting next year. I paraphrase:

"I'm going to work in the center for leadership, doing research on leadership."

Maybe he'll finally understand what he wasn't. Somehow, I doubt it.
CUā€™s USNWP ranking from 2008 to 2022:
2008 - 79
2009 - 77 (PD Hired)
2010 - 77
2011 - 86
2012 - 94
2013 - 97
2014 - 86
2015 - 88
2016 - 96
2017 - 96
2018 - 94
2019 - 106
2020 - 97
2021 - 103
2022 - 103

So, overall, a 26 place drop from the year he was hired. Also, the range is a drop of 29 places. Pretty awful.

CUā€™s USNWP ranking from 2008 to 2022:
2008 - 79
2009 - 77 (PD Hired)
2010 - 77
2011 - 86
2012 - 94
2013 - 97
2014 - 86
2015 - 88
2016 - 96
2017 - 96
2018 - 94
2019 - 106
2020 - 97
2021 - 103
2022 - 103

So, overall, a 26 place drop from the year he was hired. Also, the range is a drop of 29 places. Pretty awful.
"Leadership"

Good thing he's going to be teaching and researching it

Probably already mentioned, but he was the decision maker on the determination to not change Coloradoā€™s academic requirements for transfer athletes, despite overwhelming evidence and pressure to do so( until Saliman shoved it down his throat) causing enormous unnecessary disadvantages to CU athletics.
The list of damages he inflicted on athletics could fill it's own thread.

We are fans so that is where our interest lies but it is important to point out that the mission of the school is teaching and research and he oversaw a significant deterioration of both of those.

Another thing of note, though youā€™d have to compare numbers with similar universities, our endowment has grown from under $900 million in 2013 to $2 billion currently. The 2023 equivalent of $900 million is a hair under $1.2 billion.

But, again, Iā€™m not sure how this number compares. I also think the credit lies more with the President and other factors than with a Chancellor.

And itā€™s probably even a negative on PDā€™s performance. Heā€™s done less with more.

Another thing of note, though youā€™d have to compare numbers with similar universities, our endowment has grown from under $900 million in 2013 to $2 billion currently. The 2023 equivalent of $900 million is a hair under $1.2 billion.

But, again, Iā€™m not sure how this number compares. I also think the credit lies more with the President and other factors than with a Chancellor.

And itā€™s probably even a negative on PDā€™s performance. Heā€™s done less with more.
University of Marylandā€™s endowment was $867M vs $885M for CU in 2013. In 2022, it was $1.965B for UM vs $1.975B for CU.

NC State was $769K in 2013 and is $2.019B now.

Alabama, nubs, and Mizzou have grown at slower rates than CUs endowment.

I would say CUs growth performance is slightly above average. Which, for Phil, is amazing performance relative to his other areas.

Back