1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positive signs from UCLA win

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

1. J-Hop stepped up and accepted the challenge to become a "stopper" as a perimeter defender. Alford was abused last night.

2. XJ brought an intensity that permeated the team. Leadership.

3. Ski continued to score and dictate action, this time against a team that usually gives him fits due to their length.

4. Wes went into BEAST MODE on the defensive end.

5. The return of "Tadball". Buffs managed to keep the rebounds even despite not having Josh and completely frustrated UCLA's offense.

This could be the beginning of something.

2. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

1. He was all over on the defensive end, liked his intensity on the defense.
    2. Intensity without his characteristic charge call for no sensible reason.
    3. One of his better games. Didn't commit a dumb **** that cost us. Nice shooting, drove the ball with a purpose, not just because.
    4. Great in the defensive end, would love to see some offensive confidence. He is like a deer in the headlights when the ball hits his hands on the offensive side of the court. I believe he has the capability to shoot the ball, I wish he believed that too.
    5. The defense came to play for 40 minutes. Nice to see. What would be REALLY nice to see as a compliment to solid D an an offense that:
    a. figures out how to pass
    b. has players that actually know what to do when they have the ball and quit getting themselves into trouble.
    c. actually looks as if they actually practice in-bounds plays.

6. We shot FTs very nicely last night... didn't look at the numbers, but I am pretty sure the difference between CU and UCLA accounts for the win.

3. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Last night was fun. I am past the point of being stressed about dance resumes and quality wins. I just want to enjoy the rest of the season.

4. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

dont need a good dance resume, just need the conf tourney crown.

5. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

Emergence of Miller, thrust into a must play role, exciting development. And held his own against thuggery from Parker.

Wes really progressing, gaining moxy. Fun to watch.

Really liked the three guard lineup with Hop. Helped free up Ski, and Hop is gaining some speed... Would be a huge plus if Hop could really find flight like a couple of the others. Would personally love Ski to be more of a shooting guard first, than primary distributor on offense.

Very fun night, excited about Sunday. Good stuff. Crowd was a fun mid second half on also.

Say, any recommendations on a great breakfast joint in Boulder?

6. Buffnik

Village Coffee Shop is always going to get my recommendation. Since it's Sunday, you've also got a ton of brunch options. Under the Sun (restaurant below Southern Sun in Table Mesa) is a really good Sunday choice that's usually not too busy.

7. Eggon

Cool. Thanks. Will check it out

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Should someone named Egg, be asking for breakfast recommendations? I considered you a SME in the breakfast threads because of your name. Now I don't know what to believe.

9. Eggon

Sorry to let you down SS :lol: Failed to live up to my namesake.

I will make up for it by predicting a conference win next year! :nod:

10. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

We should know what team we have mid-next week, after a road trip to Utah. Lets go Buffs

11. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Definitely hit The Village. So good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Eggon likes this.
  12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

That's alright. You're a good egg!

Eggon likes this.
  13. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

Not necessarily breakfast, but a hidden gem is in Niwot, in the strip mall on Niwot Rd. just east of the diagonal. In the grocery store, if you go all the way to the back right corner is a tiny little Japanese place. On Sundays, the Japanese owner/chef stays up all night making buckwheat ramen noodles from scratch, and serves authentic Japanese ramen with your choice of three broths (miso, shoyu, and I forget the third.) If you've ever been to Japan and had authentic ramen, this is the only place in the country that I have ever been that measures up. It is ****ing awesome!

Don't even think of dorm-room packaged ramen. This is gourmet food. I can't recommend it highly enough. Only available on Sundays and they usually run out shortly after noon. On a cold winter morning there is nothing better. Give yourself plenty of time, though. It is tiny and run by one guy and an assistant, so the wait can be a bit long.

Eggon likes this.
  14. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

On thing that impressed me was that the team was able the scratch out a win without Jelly.

15. Buffaloup

Buffaloup New Member

XJ at the 4. It spaces the floor and he can take almost any 4 that would be guarding him in that situation off the dribble. Lets see more XJ at the four and less Dustin Thomas there.

16. aghcsm

aghcsm Well-Known Member

Completely agree, none of us knows where this roller coaster will end up, so we should enjoy the moments. Surprising how much better Tad is at coaching after a close win than a close loss. And how many positives are uncovered about the team after a win.

17. HUFset

HUFset Well-Known Member

Moving on. CU won at the CEC...

18. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

My issue w Ski was shown the 1st time he had the ball and drove the length of the court, ignoring two open teammates and not scoring. Too anxious to carry the load sometimes

19. blynch32

blynch32 Member

My issue with Ski was the last minute of the UCLA game, he tried to throw a lob before even crossing half court up 7, then he tried to dunk the ball at the end of the game for no reason. Things you would expect from a freshman, not a senior, and things that drive coaches insane.

20. blynch32

blynch32 Member

Also, my patience has run out with Dustin Thomas....I can only dream of where Tad is at on the subject. He looks like he should be playing at a D2 school.

21. Quattro

You must be ignoring his defense, rebounding, and passing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

22. blynch32

blynch32 Member

I don't know if ignoring it is what I'm doing, I just don't think it makes up for how bad he is on the offense side, for a kid that is suppose to have some talent. This team is killing itself with turnovers, and he's got to be a leader based on minutes played.

23. Quattro

He's struggled with 3 point shooting and turnovers. He gets to the line at a good rate, shoots well from the line, has some post moves, moves the ball, and is solid on the offensive boards. It's WAY too early to write him off. He's improved in just about every category over last year, he like the other sophomores are progressing. Just because we don't see a Dinwiddie/Burks type jump doesn't mean it's time to write him off and relegate him as a D2 player.

24. blynch32

blynch32 Member

Dustin must've heard me talking about his lack of offensive game......

25. Quattro

It's all mental for him, he has all the tools

26. blynch32

blynch32 Member

Hmm, I may try the same thing with Fletcher soon.

27. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Lol. Hopefully today was just the start.

28. Buffnik

Please be strategically judicious. The strength of your reverse mojo powers is not something to be trifled with. :lol:

29. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Truth. Wait till P12 tourney time if you can. If we look likely to get into the tourney, that would, of course, be nice as well. Or, perhaps, save it for a starter in a funk/