1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Game Thread: CU 78 - UA 82 P12T

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Tough loss.

First half shooting and turnover problems dug too deep of a hole for the Buffs.

J40 was 5/9 in the 1st. Rest of team was 3/23. Didn't make a 3pt shot in the 1st.

Final team and player stats of note:

Team
    FGs: CU 26/77 (33.8%) / UA 22/48 (45.8%)
    3pt: CU 5/19 (26.3%) / UA 6/12 (50.0%)
    FT: CU 21/25 (84.0%) / UA 32/44 (72.7%)
    Reb: CU 52 (26 O) / UA 35 (9 O)
    Ast: CU 12 / UA 7
    Stl: CU 7 / UA 8
    Blk: CU 5 / UA 11
    TO: CU 13/ UA 15

Individual
    George King... 22 pts/ 5 rebs/ 3 asts/ 2 stls/ 2 tos
    Josh Scott... 18 pts/ 15 rebs/ 1 ast/ 1 stl/ 2 blk/ 1 to
    Josh Fortune... 10 pts/ 8 rebs/ 1 ast/ 3 stl/ 2 blk/ 0 to
    Tommy Akyizilli... 9 pts/ 1 reb/ 1 ast/ 1 stl/ 3 tos
    Wes Gordon... 7 pts/ 8 rebs/ 2 asts/ 2 tos
    Xavier Talton... 6 pts/ 2 rebs/ 1 asts/ 0 tos
    Tre Fletch... 4 pts/ 3 rebs/ 3 asts/ 1 blk/ 1 to
    Tory Miller... 2 pts/ 4 rebs/ 0 tos
    Dom Collier... 0 pts/ 2 rebs/ 2 tos

For Arizona, notable scorers were Trier with 23, R. Anderson with 17, York with 15 and K. Allen with 12. Zeus led the way with 11 rebounds.

Biggest thing was that CU couldn't make a shot for a good part of the game. Mostly that's just credit to UA. They came out with more intensity than CU and their defense was nasty. Lots of shots were rushed and contested, turning shots the Buffs usually make into misses. Also forced CU into a lot of early turnovers, with CU having committed 9 by half. So, combination of CU playing bad and UA playing great. Second half was a reversal of that. CU played well (not great) and UA let up its defensive pressure while getting sloppy on offense (10 2nd half turnovers). Buffs played pretty good defense the whole way, but Zona was hot from outside today. CU is actually better on the glass just like they were in the home game, which is surprising given UA's rebounding talent and size.

In short, I think these teams match up pretty closely. Today was Arizona's day, though. They showed themselves to be tournament tough while the Buffs are learning. No doubt that UA deserved the win in this one, but I'm proud of the Buffs for how they kept fighting and I think they learned a lot about what it's going to take to win next week.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Goose, Eggon, NiTownBuff and 2 others like this.
  2. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

we've got a fun team. the long dry spells on scoring are hard to watch, however. if they can win even 1 ncaa tourney game, it would be a great season, given expectations headed in, i think. of course, what do i know?

Goose likes this.
  3. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

j40's stat line doesn't look as bad as i thought. of course i missed a good portion of the first half. great runs at the end of the game, wish i could have made it over to the game. next week will be fun!

4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Woof. That hurt. They are good. Can't dig a hole that deep against a good team

5. cnbuff410

cnbuff410 Club Member Club Member

What was the general expectation on this team before the season starts?

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Most people were thinking between 17-20 wins and the NIT.

7. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

lot of fun to watch if you can drag yourself through the poor play on the way to the great come back effort. Hard to watch us continually dig holes for ourselves.

8. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

And also hard to see us continually get up double digits on teams and then collapse. This team is an enigma

9. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Another term for it is streaky

10. NBDefektor

NBDefektor Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. There's streaky, and there's the 2015-2016 CU Buffaloes.

Fight CU likes this.
  11. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Point Guard play was the difference. Dom: more fouls or minutes?

BUFFering likes this.
  12. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Man he's really stuggling. Just looks lost right now. Thankfully Yaz has been playing decent and can pick up some of the slack.

13. hoggin303

hoggin303 New Member

Dom looks completely overmatched cant stay in front of his man on defense, and on offense thats a whole other issue

14. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Talton really played the point a lot, and had Zero turnovers. He has improved thru the season so much.

Yaz had some out-of-control problems, but played really hard and I can live with some rookie mistakes and his 3 turnovers. Dude does not back down.

Dom: 12 minutes, 0-4 FG, 0 points, 0 assists, 4 fouls. I will say that Dom played hard and his last foul where he bumped heads going for the steal was a high effort play.

Josh Fortune: had his second straight game with no turnovers, and has just five in his last seven games. per cubuffs.com

Gramburglar likes this.
  15. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Yeah those games where you are up 17 at half the other team charges back cuts it to 2 and you barely survive are brutal.

Fight CU and Goose like this.
  16. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Sometimes it's just not your night. Missed all of our threes in the first half and Arizona couldn't miss in the first half. Played much better defense in the second which was good to see them battle since they would not have done that in years past. I am hopeful they got their bad shooting game out of the way before the tourney.

One of the best parts of yesterday was GK. He got pissed in the second half and started taking the ball to the basket. Yes he turned it over a couple times but more times than not he was successful. Sort of took ownership and the lead there which was needed. GOOD for him.

17. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Agree with your take-away previous teams would have folded like a cheap tent.

18. pcbuff

pcbuff Club Member Club Member

I hope the egg they laid in the first half prepared them and taught them the level they need to come out at in the tournament.

19. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

IDK if you can change an ingrained pattern like that after one game so late in the season. The football team proved that to me.

20. aghcsm

aghcsm Well-Known Member

Yes it's just chatter and hope. Various games we've started hot, cold, lukewarm - same for closings although I do think there were some psychological issues, at least with some players at USC and Utah. Need to have the mental control to block out the situation and just play intense, quality basketball to maintain a lead. Unfortunately when there are 15000 screaming opponent fans trying to remind you they're coming back it's a real mental challenge...the psychology of coming back was great yesterday. Not sure if AZ got rattled or we just played good, focused intense ball.

21. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

The second half was an incredible display. 58 points in a half is insane. Two big of a hole though. I think the UofA crowd rattled them at the beginning. They were fired up and packed in as usual. Definitely unsettled the team.

Overall impressed with the fight this team showed and I think it sets them up nicely to make some noise in the dance.

I wish we were playing today, but scalping the ticket for the game today for what I did, almost makes up for it.

Those that missed the tourney really missed out. It gets bigger and bigger every year. So much fun. Put it on your calendars for next year

22. Da Lama

Da Lama Well-Known Member

Yaz and Talton should start our NCAA game. EOS.

BUFFering likes this.
  23. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Re-watching. Man, we had 3 or 4 lay ups roll out during the last 5 minutes.