What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Predict the opening day starters

QB - Lytle
RB - McMillian
TE - Bounds
WR - Shenault
WR - Nixon
WR - Winfree
OT - Moretti
OT - Kaiser
OG - Lynott
OG - Haigler
C - Pursell

NT - Edwards
DE - Mulumba
DE - Lang
ILB - Gamboa
ILB - Lewis
OLB - Callier
Buff - Davion Taylor
CB - Miller
CB - Udoffia
S - Fisher
S - Worthington

K - Stefanau
P - Keeny
PR - Nixon
LS - Bale
KR - Nixon/Blackmon

Lytle, Lang, and no Mac or Ento. Interesting. Very interesting.

QB - Lytle
RB - McMillian
TE - Bounds
WR - Shenault
WR - Nixon
WR - Winfree
OT - Moretti
OT - Kaiser
OG - Lynott
OG - Haigler
C - Pursell

NT - Edwards
DE - Mulumba
DE - Lang
ILB - Gamboa
ILB - Lewis
OLB - Callier
Buff - Davion Taylor
CB - Miller
CB - Udoffia
S - Fisher
S - Worthington

K - Stefanau
P - Keeny
PR - Nixon
LS - Bale
KR - Nixon/Blackmon

Lytle the week one starter with Montez going to media day? Stop

There are a few bold predictions in this... I know you’re a little more removed from the team than you used to be, but do you have any insight here that leads you to predict these, specifically QB and a DE spot?
Ran into some buddies Saturday night. Half on the team, half of left. Heard some interesting things that makes me believe it isn't a sure thing at either of those positions. I still think it is 80% Montez starts, but I think there is a chance that Lytle wins the job so I went with it. Lang I've heard is a monster and doing well. That's all I am basing those predictions on. J-Mac I don't think will be fully ready to go by the CSU game and they will be bringing him along slowly.

These are just hunches based off of a night drinking some beers with some friends. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Lytle, Lang, and no Mac or Ento. Interesting. Very interesting.
Don't take things too seriously. I don't have any real information on what's going on other than BSing on a Saturday night. Like stated earlier in the thread, I think we will see Ento, Winfree, Laviska and Mac/KD on the field all at once more often than not, with brown filling in as well.

Lytle the week one starter with Montez going to media day? Stop
I think Montez not being named a captain after they announced who is going to the media day changes things a bit. The media day stuff is planned way out in advance and things can change.

Don't take things too seriously. I don't have any real information on what's going on other than BSing on a Saturday night. Like stated earlier in the thread, I think we will see Ento, Winfree, Laviska and Mac/KD on the field all at once more often than not, with brown filling in as well.
Brown keeps getting lost in the discussion. Think he might be a stud this year.

I think Montez not being named a captain after they announced who is going to the media day changes things a bit. The media day stuff is planned way out in advance and things can change.
Not to get ahead of ourselves here, but if Lytle is legit and Montez doesn't have a year worthy of going to the draft, I think he could be a grad transfer possibility.

Nothing he did this spring says he deserves to be QB1.

But if he performs in camp and wins the team, he will get his chance.

Reminds me a bit of how Winfree was somewhat lost in last year's discussion. Our WR's are going to be great if the QB has time to get them the ball.
This is so spot on. Doesn't matter who the QB is if they have no confidence in the O Line their mentality is altered.
I wonder sometimes how much of Sefo's leadership qualities were measured by how many times he was sacked or ate the grass after a throw but he never bitched? I never saw a negative reaction from Sefo after a play never. He let Phil do his wet work, Phil would help Sefo up and then talk to a O lineman. I'm not shading Sefo's leadership qualities in the least he took a beating for almost 4 yrs and deserved a 10 win season.

There's nothing more I would love to see than a QB that has Koy D mentality and that person may be on the roster.

Look at the names he highlighted.
To be fair, Lytle as the starter makes sense based on him being in a battle for number 2 during camp. The coaches moving Haigler back to guard after working him out at tackle all off season would be weird and should piss people off.

To be fair, Lytle as the starter makes sense based on him being in a battle for number 2 during camp. The coaches moving Haigler back to guard after working him out at tackle all off season would be weird and should piss people off.
Our O-line coaching and movement makes zero sense. Haigler has still played inside some this off season.

It's mostly based on potential and staying injury free, but I kind of like our DL, tbh. Mulumba, Edwards, Mustafa, Tuiloma, Lang, Franke and Antwine is not the worst two deep CU has had, and top to bottom might be better than 2016. Tupou, Carrell and Samson were pretty solid, but there was a massive drop off after them. Again, I'm saying this based on potential, but I think that's a solid group that's deeper than I expected. Falo and Callier is a good two deep for that on-the-ball OLB position as well.

With the fact that this is a pencil chart in mind, I see a few things. 1) Laviska is not a starter at all. 2) Darrion Jones (as expected) is way behind the curve on learning the offense. 3) Kyle Evans ahead of Fontenot? I understand McMillian because he hasn’t been here long, but Evans as starter?

Interesting especially for points 1 & 3.

With the fact that this is a pencil chart in mind, I see a few things. 1) Laviska is not a starter at all. 2) Darrion Jones (as expected) is way behind the curve on learning the offense. 3) Kyle Evans ahead of Fontenot? I understand McMillian because he hasn’t been here long, but Evans as starter?

Interesting especially for points 1 & 3.
W/r/t Ento over Shenault, there is an "OR" next to Ento's name, which means that it's Ento OR Shenault as the penciled in starter. Viska is going to play a ton.

The pencil depth chart made me chuckle a bit, definitely more than one position where "or" was stated just to make the seniors feel ok about themselves.

I just don't see Ento starting for very long, plays weak when fighting for the ball and runs sloppy routes. Unless he is both significantly stronger and has had a serious attitude adjustment, I would expect others to get playing time ahead of him. @Bread said Shenault isn't a starter, but if I am honest, neither is Ento. Winfree won't leave the field very much when CU has the ball this year. Nixon and Jackson (if he can ditch that injury bug) are going to see tons of time. Macintyre is a good glue guy if he is healthy.

Morettie, Sherman, Pursell, Lynott and Haigler will be the starters on the O line. RT is a major concern.
I love hearing that Lytle is pushing Montez, but I suspect the 'or' for the QB spot is more to get Montez to keep pushing himself. Clearly the coaches think he needs to be pushed.

Don't be surprised if Callier and Falo end up the day one starters at OLB (one on each side)...not sold on Wells or Tchangam yet....but I am hopeful.

Despite being a captain Gamboa is going to have to yield some serious playing time to Landman. No way that guy doesn't see as many or more snaps as Gamboa this year. He is too good.

Taylor being considered the day one starter at Buffback either means he is very legit or CU has a problem. Miller, Worthington, Fisher and Abrams will be the other DB starters (Abrams is going to adapt to D1 fast).

Last edited:
Back