1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QB coach anouncement may be delayed, Seattle wins

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DavisBuff, Jan 8, 2011.

1. DavisBuff

DavisBuff Club Member Club Member

If it is Fisch, does CU have to wait until Seattle is out to anounce Fisch as the QB caoch? Of all the position coaches to have a delayed anouncement, this is probably the best. I doubt that we are recruiting anymore QB's now that we have the JC guy.

2. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

We may be recruiting a freshman qb as well.

This is going to give us:
    Senior: Hansen (1 yr to play)
    Junior: Brent Burnette (2 yrs to play)
    Redshirt freshman: Nick Hirschman (4 yrs to play)

Unless one of the other names on the roster ends up seriously as a surprise QB candidate (Moten or Gorman, for example), I think we'd be looking at having a freshman in this year to redshirt behind Nick. Having lost anyone who would have been a junior (Ballenger) or Sophomore (Lobato, Evans, Slota, Stanley, etc.) and seeing that big gap on the roster now makes me think they may offer someone from the class of 2011, if there is a guy out there they like.

3. DavisBuff

If we have a decent shot at Miles and he is as good as advertised (I have not seen him play), I would rather stand with what we have and offer Miles a chance to play early instead of picking up a freshman QB.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I don't think that competition will scare Miles away. If he's as confident as I think he is, he's not going to be scared off by a RS-Freshman quarterback who has never taken a game snap.

Truth is, if he is scared off by that then I wouldn't want him anyway.

5. AlferdJasper

A quarterback on the roster is worth two on the wish list.

Sometimes.

6. Buffsfan09

Buffsfan09 Member

I would rather not pick up another middle-grade QB that might scare off some real talent next year. We have Hansen, new guy who has playing experience, and Hirsh is going to be solid as a number two or three as well. I think we are fine at the position for next year.

7. DavisBuff

I have seen other schools offer a QB like Miles a year out with the promise not to recruit another QB this year or next if Miles were to commit. It has some risk, but it would be worth it to get a local kid, super star QB.

8. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

We are betting an awful lot on Hirschman being the man.

9. AlferdJasper

Those promises are hard to keep for both the school and for the athlete. What if he gets injured or has a terrible senior season? What if a new "star" with interest in CU emerges? What if we change coaching staffs again, and they want to go another direction?

I just don't think either side can make that promise with full confidence, that's why it's called a verbal.

A quarterback can size up the competition and bet on whether or not he'll see the field. Good ones aren't scared, they are confident.

10. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

You practically can't have enough capable QB's in college. Right now we have one, Hansen. We don't know about Hirschman or Burnette. We certainly don't know about any of the others. If there is a good QB recruit (incoming freshman) out there we need to take him.