What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB depth at Cal

I read a bit but the site kept freezing up on me. The one thing I got out of it was......for many Cal fans, thier first impression of CU will be .....Creatini. So we should be able to start a rivalry / hate relationship with them pretty quick. At least until they figure out all CU fans are not like Creatini. Most of us have figured out the fruitless endeavour that battleing opposing fans on message boards is. If you are a democrat, why sit and scream and yell and shout stats at a republican? (and vice versa). It is what it is-- you two beleive diffferent things and nobody is going to change their mind. Same with differing religons, and same thing with teams people support. It is an exercise in futility.

But you go boy. Knock yourself out.
It's not like I'm sitting there saying how bad Cal is, I'm just stating reasons why CU will beat Cal where as the other person has no stats or anything to back up his argument so I'm not sure how I'm putting CU in a bad light.

I don't think our QB situation is quite as dire as it's being made out to be. We have a one year gap between Burnette (who will probably never see the field anyway) and Hirschman. After that, there's Dorman and Dillon with no class gaps inbetween. We'll have three non-redshirted quarterbacks available for the next three years, and who knows what the situation will be after that. I don't think you can realistically expect anything better. Much like Cal, depth isn't an issue for us, it's quality. Burnette has been nothing special through the Spring. But from what I could see of him during the Spring game, Hirschman was pretty solid.

Well if Hirschman turns out to be much better than his recruiting ranking would suggest, we are probably ok. Still, in 2011 if Hansen were to go down with an injury, we will be likely playing a RS freshman who's only other offer was Harvard. Cal has at least 3-4 guys on the roster with more cred at this point. But I do think Hirschman may have what is needed here. But I'm not sure.

As for clicking on Creatini's link, how one can begin to defend we will beat Cal this year is mind boggling. We got wupped. I think we can beat them, but I can't begin to make a coherent argument based on logic that would support that.

Well if Hirschman turns out to be much better than his recruiting ranking would suggest, we are probably ok. Still, in 2011 if Hansen were to go down with an injury, we will be likely playing a RS freshman who's only other offer was Harvard. Cal has at least 3-4 guys on the roster with more cred at this point. But I do think Hirschman may have what is needed here. But I'm not sure.

Hirschman was a 3* recruit. Not exactly awful.

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....(Signed-to-Colorado)?highlight=nick+hirschman

Our existing QB's had a total of ZERO BCS offers outside of CU.
Only Hansen has taken a single snap at this level, so we don't have much else to go on other than recruiting rankings, and years in the program.

CU's backups:
Burnette: 4th year Junior, 1st year at CU. Offers: none
Hirschman: 3rd year Soph. Offers: Harvard
Dorman: True Frosh: Offers: none

Cal's backups:
Mansion: 5th year senior, started 4 games last year. Offers: Alabama, Baylor, Indiana, Tenn, and Texas...
Bridgeford: 3rd year Soph. Offers: Arizona, Ariz St., Nebraska, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas Tech, Utah...
Hinder: 2nd year RS-F. Offers: Alabama, Ariz St., CU, FSU, KU, Nebraska, Notre dame, Purdue, Stanford, UCLA.....
Boehm: True Frosh. Offers: ASU, CSU, Illini, KSU, Northwestern, Oregon St., SDSU, Texas Tech, Wash...

I think my original point stands and our QB pipeline is as bad as it sounds. Actually, it's possibly as bad as any D1 college out there, including non-BCS. Hirschman was a 3-star with one other offer being from Harvard. Perhaps he could have pulled in more if he would have waited on his commitment, but there was less than a consensus on this guy. He attended several high level camps including the LA camp in Los Angeles and at least 2 elite 11 QB camps. He didn't get offers anywhere else. I think his abilities will need to be judged on the field, but I liked some of what I saw in the spring game. I hope everyone else in the program is "hidden gem".

Lastly, a transfer from Buffalo beats all these golden boys out and it means they suck? I think he's pretty highly regarded by Tedford right now.

We are pinning our hopes on youth in 2012 and hopefully not in 2011 if Hansen can stay healthy. QB is an important position. Fill the pipeline with guys with lots of other offers, and you will create competition and you are statistically likely find some QBs who can get it done. After all, Tedford has put I believe 6 in the NFL at last count.

Embree is up against it big time the same way Hawkins was and Barnett before that. No blue chip QB's in the pipeline. Barnett relied on a series of JC guys (Hodge, Pesavento, Moschetti), and then got Klatt here as a walkon. Hawk brought Cody in. In a perfect world, Dillon gets a couple years before he starts and I hope we can afford to wait at the position.

My point to all this? Embree inherited some big holes in the pipeline. However, many you can fill quickly. It's tough to fill the QB holes quickly as guys need 2 full years generally to start to get it. Look at first year starters recently at Texas and USC, and before that Prior at OSU. They were #1 type of kids in their class and still had painful rookie years.

Back