1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QB Everett Golson no longer at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, May 25, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

http://espn.go.com/college-football...erett-golson-leaves-notre-dame-fighting-irish

Starting quarterback Everett Golson is no longer enrolled at Notre Dame, the university confirmed in an email to ESPN.com on Saturday night.

"Everett is not enrolled at the university. Federal law and our own polices preclude us from discussing specifics," spokesman Dennis Brown said in an email.

The Chicago Tribune, citing two sources, reported that Golson is no longer enrolled at the university due to a resident life violation.

2. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Well-Known Member

That's crazy, I saw it watching the bball game. They have a highly rated freshman qb but Rees will get the reigns I'm guessing.

3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Apparently was caught cheating, must not have been the first time if he got kicked out.

4. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Lets bring him in.

5. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

Took about as long as expected

6. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Well, you can remember how long Colt Brennan was haunted by his past at CU, announcers always bringing it up and people taunting him at games. And PRich is experiencing something similar for what happened when he was at UCLA.

Oh wait, nevermind. Nobody cares...

7. Swish

Actually I do care about who puts on a uniform and represents the Buffs on the field.

8. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I do too. However, if the worse thing he's done is cheat on a test, then bring him in!

9. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Transfering to Nebraska?

10. Swish

To some degree this is a pointless debate with so little facts on this kids situation at this point. Someone else on this board suggested a kid doesn't get booted for cheating once which makes sense to me.

I don't have a problem giving someone a second chance depending on the circumstances of the misdeed. But if it is indeed multiple counts of cheating then we have enough to worry about as a program.

11. MtnBuff

He should have gone to an SEC school. Can't get caught cheating when you never have to go to class.

12. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

As do I. But I also believe in growth and redemption. It really depends on the whole situation here.

I'm glad we booted Colt, and I'm glad we gave PRich a second chance.

13. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

second chances are good but part of college is where you stop being a kid and start being an adult. academic cheating is easy these days. digital information. but if you are paying someone to go to school...they should do the minimum work.

making a C is not that hard in today's world of grade inflation. if the almighty Notre Dame accepted him, Golston could have done that. right?

14. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

15. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

He's married?

16. MtnBuff

17. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Golson has signed on at FSU.

18. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

This could get entertaining

19. MtnBuff

Does he like crab legs?

20. Buffnik

Makes sense. That was probably the best game he played last season, so their impression of him would be sky high.

21. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

So at what point does the graduate transfer rule get changed?

22. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Why shoud it? He graduated in before his eligibility ran out. Good for him.

23. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Whine.

Dude paid for his own way at ND after he ran into some issues. **** happens. He made it through and did what he had to do and now graduated. Good for him.

Student athletes get bones harder than any other students on scholarship. While the dude was a TO machine (that ASU game), I wish we could land some good transfers.

24. MtnBuff

Grad transfer rule is one of the few NCAA rules that actually works in favor of the student athlete. I agree with you, he did what he had to do, now he is working within the rules.

It also isn't like him going to FSU is a giant change in the balance of power. If he wasn't taking up that scholly FSU wouldn't be giving it to some 2* from a small school in Iowa, they would be using on a top quality HS kid who wouldn't be coming our way either.

If we want to attract quality transfers we have to give them a reason to come here. Win some games and we will get their attention.

25. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

I don't think the new rule wouldn't allow them to transfer, they just wouldn't be able to play right away.

26. Buffnik

I don't understand what is wrong with the grad transfer rule.

1. Player signs with a program.

2. Player earns degree while fulfilling scholarship obligations.

3. Player finds that his/her situation would be better somewhere else and decides to take a grad school scholarship to play elsewhere.

What's the problem with that?

Golson, for example, wouldn't be transferring if he was going to be a starter at Notre Dame. Why shouldn't he get to play somewhere he has his best chance to showcase his skills and get his best shot at the NFL? CU has gotten a QB and a couple WRs this way in recent years, too. Didn't seem to hurt anyone while benefiting the players.

27. SerenityBuff

SerenityBuff Club Member Club Member

I don't think anyone said there was a problem with it. A question was asked of when it might be changed since the NCAA likes to close loopholes that benefit "student"-athletes. I took the question as an indictment of the NCAA more than anything. With that in mind, I think it probably does get changed at some point since that's the NCAA's M.O.

28. Buffnik

The transfer thing seems to be much more of a problem in basketball than football. There's a mess on that side with the one-and-done rule, hardship waivers and grad transfers all resulting in a complete erosion of program continuity. It's hurting the game.

I see why the NCAA is addressing it from that standpoint.

But in football we're not seeing the same problem and I think that the NCAA is going to cause harm to football players in order to try to fix problems in men's basketball.

Interestingly, other college sports work just fine with much looser transfer rules. In Olympic sports, we see players transfer with no restrictions and immediate eligibility at their new home. College volleyball is just fine. And in that case, we see some players who transfer more than once during their college careers.

29. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

I don't think you can fairly change the grad transfer rule unless you also eliminate 5 year scholarship eligibility. The two concepts are pretty closely related.