1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Hi.O, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Hi.O

Hi.O Member

Okay so after the Alabama game I was kind of wondering, is it possible to block a long field goal by putting a player back there with ridiculous hops and having him bat the ball down if it's near the crossbar? Or is that like football's goal tending?

2. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

It's legal in the NFL, not sure about college.

3. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

dont know. what i do know is that the uprights seem to be batting down a lot of our kickers attempts. that should be against the rules. :huh:

4. Hi.O

Hi.O Member

Since it's legal, another question. Has it ever happened?

5. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

I do remember waaaaaaay back when that the Chiefs under Hank Stram would put the 6-10 Morris Stroud under the goal post on long FG attempts. I do not know if he ever batted one down.

EDIT: I guess the NFL did outlaw the practice:
    Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1 (informally known as the "Stroud Rule"): "Goal tending by any player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the crossbar of a goal post is prohibited. The referee could award 3 points for a palpably unfair act".

6. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

R.C Owens from the 49ers is the only one to block a FG in that manner before it was banned in the late 60's (in both college and NFL).

7. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

I believe its illegal. The reason you'd put someone back there is in case the kick came up short. You could then try to catch the ball and make a return on it.

8. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

I think it'd be a fun skill to put on the field.

But from a practical stance, it's a very if-fy chance. If you've ever attended men's VB matches, that net is 'only' 8-feet and a lot of players can touch the ball at 12-feet. But generally without significant re-direction capabilities.

("Significant re-direction" - as in 180-degree block, or a deflection that would positively prevent it from crossing over.)

The football crossbar's height is 10-feet, yes? So the VB leapers' are really stretching it to reach 12-feet. How many FGs are only at 12-foot levels? Not many.

I use VB instead of basketball because the skillset to intercept a falling ball is more accomplished in VB - in fact, every set to a hitter is that 'aimed and falling ball' skill. The basketball's Alley-Oop pass is comparable, but very very few of those are done at a 12-foot height - I'd guess 95% of those are in the 10'6" or maybe 11'0 height - anything more, and the 'significant re-direction' of catching and dunking is more difficult.

9. Hi.O

Hi.O Member

Volleyball players can get up to 12 feet? That's impressive
    Isn't that like a 6ft jump for the average person?

10. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Arms extended. I think it's less than 6'. I can reach 8'3" arms extended, so that would only be 3'9". Not too hard for an athlete. Especially with an approach.