1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ralph Friedgen Fired

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Being named ACC Coach of the Year wasn't enough to save his job.

Friedgen was entering the last year of his contract. In 10 seasons, he went 74-50 with 7 bowl appearances and 2 ACC CotY awards.

Maryland decided it didn't want to give him an extension. Friedgen refused to retire. So, rather than having a lame duck coach, Maryland fired him.

Mike Leach is assumed to be the leading candidate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5938838

2. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Stories I was hearing this weekend were mentioning Leach as the leading candidate to replace Fridge. I'm sure they'll love him back there... :lol:

Also mentioned were, believe it or not, Ty Willingham and New Mexico's Mike Locksley.... :wow:

3. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Locksley is mentioned because of his Wash DC ties, and his former time at UMaryland. There is no doubt that he would chalk Maryland's roster full of 5-star players from the East Coast. If he could get some good assistants to actually coach, then that might be lightning in a bottle.

Lots of people questioned Locks taking the UNM job to begin with, because its so far from his roots. Despite that, the number of DC-area kids that he pulled out to Loboland is staggering.

4. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I don't get it, I'm a fan, but not really a student of the game, but it seems like Locksley is thought of as the next Gene Chizik. Why is everyone so high on him?

5. C(U)3PO

C(U)3PO Member

WOW what a tumultuous off-season for college football.

legendary urban meyer steps down, friedgen gets fired, and dan hawkins is forced out. the landscape will be much different next year... wait a second, one of these don't belong...

6. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

So the fridge is gone. They need to replace him with Jabba the Mangino. Ya know, keep the training table attendants in shape.

7. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Not sure of the Chizik comparison, but I'd say he's the next Zook or Butch Davis. Guy can recruit his ass off, but can't coach a lick. Not surprisingly, he was Zook's OC for a few years. Some down-trodden programs like to take a flier on good recruiters in the hopes that talent will win out. In many cases, it does... as they say, college football is more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than the X's and O's.

8. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

I hate it when a guy comes in and does great things for a program, and after some losing seasons, in spite of what he did, the school wants more. Maryland is nothing without Friedgen...they can go **** themselves. They are horrible fans and apparently idiotic administration. I wouldn't be surprised if Gary Williams is fired, as he's rumored to be, after a poor season this year. Maryland's dumb...fear the turtle my ass...it's a ****in turtle...

9. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

It sounds like Frankling getting the Vandy job and taking some assistants with him played quite a bit into the decision to fire Friedgen.

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Maryland was probably tired of paying his food bill.

11. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Hmmm, do I smell age discrimination?

12. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I think a combo of that and weight discrimination.

13. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I think it's just weight. You can be fat at any age, trust me.

14. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Ralph Friedgen burned his Maryland diploma, doesn't care about Maryland football

I guess he's still angry.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...rmer-coach-ralph-friedgen-says-burned-diploma

15. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

I think he probably cooked it, then ate it.

[​IMG]

16. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

Friedgen, whose a Maryland alumn, said this week that he burned his degree from the school and now considers himself a Georgia Tech fan.

I don't blame him, he took them to 7 bowl games in 10 years and then last year he went 9-4 and won ACC coach of the year but was fired after the season.

On a related note the uniforms that UM wore against Miami with the Maryland flag on the helmets and shoulder pads were legendary but their other new unis are just awful.

17. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

fify...

18. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Looks like they have really turned the program around by changing coaches.