What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ranking the Coaching Hires this off season......CU #23 out of 26

Wisconsin's, UT's, Auburn's, Cal's, and Arky's search took nearly, if not as long with multiple people turning them down.

Wisconsin hired Anderson who CU did reach out to but was rejected. CU was actually offering more money than Wisconsin but was still jilted. Anderson was higher on my list than McIntyre. Who knows how it will turn out but CU did not have a compelling sell to candidates.

Wisconsin hired Anderson who CU did reach out to but was rejected. CU was actually offering more money than Wisconsin but was still jilted. Anderson was higher on my list than McIntyre. Who knows how it will turn out but CU did not have a compelling sell to candidates.

Yeah you're right, $2M+ salary, $2.6M+ assistant coach salary, and be facilities are not compelling at all.

I'm not sure who turned those other jobs down other than Les Miles and Arky and Chris Peterson and everybody but regardless I think it's not a stretch to say each one if those schools hired someone more highly sought after than CU.

Dykes and Malzhan? Nah. Jones? Debatable. Bielma? Absolutely.

Yeah you're right, $2M+ salary, $2.6M+ assistant coach salary, and be facilities are not compelling at all.

It should be pretty telling all that got us pretty much nowhere in trying to attract many candidates.

It is pretty hard to say Jones being more highly sought after is debatable. He was offered by four (counting Cincy) different BCS schools in four different conferences. Not to mention one of those schools was CU. Seriously Tini?

It should be pretty telling all that got us pretty much nowhere in trying to attract many candidates.

It is pretty hard to say Jones being more highly sought after is debatable. He was offered by four (counting Cincy) different BCS schools in four different conferences. Not to mention one of those schools was CU. Seriously Tini?

Fine Jones was more. Happy? The other two absolutely were not.

:yeahthat:

If MM ends up winning then everyone will forget how inefficient and clumsy the search was.

I don't know how clumsy the search was. It iseems it looked clumsy because the agent leaked info to make sure his client got tons of press and tried to make him as much leverage as possible for other schools. Which worked. Never seemed clumsy with any other coach. My guess is Bohn and them didn't do anything different. The firestorm was all on Ashwipes agent.

I don't know how clumsy the search was. It iseems it looked clumsy because the agent leaked info to make sure his client got tons of press and tried to make him as much leverage as possible for other schools. Which worked. Never seemed clumsy with any other coach. My guess is Bohn and them didn't do anything different. The firestorm was all on Ashwipes agent.

It comes down to the fact that once everyone knew Butch Jones was in Colorado and had been offered the job (including public numbers), CU had to close the deal or they would look bad. Just the way it is and blaming it all on the agent does not change anything.

It comes down to the fact that once everyone knew Butch Jones was in Colorado and had been offered the job (including public numbers), CU had to close the deal or they would look bad. Just the way it is and blaming it all on the agent does not change anything.

And who released those numbers? Who released the info that he had accepted the job? His agent.

LeBron was offered a lot more money by Cleveland. Money has gotten so stupid that it is getting to where it isn't as much a factor in a decision anymore.

LeBron was offered a lot more money by Cleveland. Money has gotten so stupid that it is getting to where it isn't as much a factor in a decision anymore.

I don't buy that when speaking in generalities.

And who released those numbers? Who released the info that he had accepted the job? His agent.

I am not even talking about the leak he had accepted the job. Once the photo of Jones and Solich at Folsom Field was on the front page of the DP sports page, the only way CU could come out of the saga looking good was if Jones accepted the job. We can debate the nuances of what happened over the 3-4 day period, but once it became clear Jones was our top choice to pretty much the entire country, we had to land him to look good. It is that simple.

I don't buy that when speaking in generalities.

Given that you are a broke college student you don't get it just yet. More money is always better, but given the state of affairs and looking at long term stability I would have chosen to Wiscy over CU as a coaching job. I've been offered more money to work at a new job, but 10% raises are nothing when I considered the cons of accepting a job. When you are earning pretty good money going from 1.5MM to 2MM doesn't really change too much. Going from 1.5MM to 2.5MM or 3MM changes a lot. Effectively you have to make 80% more at your next job than your new job to have it really affect the quality of your life.

I didn't take those other jobs that offered me 10% more and had more perks because I would have had to work more, had less free time and be under a lot more stress. I know plenty of others in the same boat.

Look, this thread was about people being shocked that our hire would be ranked so low compared to the other offseason hires. We were one of the last schools to make a hire meaning there wasn't a ton of demand out there for coach Mac by other schools in the market, we arguably had to overpay just to get him (by way of comparison, Doeren who just took NIU to a BCS bowl accepted $1.8m from NCSt), and we were very publicly rejected by a MAC coach that not many people had even heard of until this offseason. So I can see why it may not look like a great hire.

Look, this thread was about people being shocked that our hire would be ranked so low compared to the other offseason hires. We were one of the last schools to make a hire meaning there wasn't a ton of demand out there for coach Mac by other schools in the market, we arguably had to overpay just to get him (by way of comparison, Doeren who just took NIU to a BCS bowl accepted $1.8m from NCSt), and we were very publicly rejected by a MAC coach that not many people had even heard of until this offseason. So I can see why it may not look like a great hire.

What MAC coach?

And this isn't about who made the best hire, it's efficiency and we sure as hell were not the #23 team in that category and neither was Utah State.

What MAC coach?

And this isn't about who made the best hire, it's efficiency and we sure as hell were not the #23 team in that category and neither was Utah State.

Sorry Big East, I was still thinking of him as the CMU coach, but the point remains.

I'm not sure how you rank efficient hires, so I'll just take your word for it that the rankings are bulls**t and the guy who wrote the article is a moron.

A completely irrelevant column, who cares? All that matters is how successful the coaches are on the field.

Back