1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reality Check for the Huskers

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Idot Buff, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

I don't agree with people when they judge a class by how many blue chippers they have. Don't get me wrong, you have to go after these top guys to build a successful program. Look at Callahan. No one could knock him for his recruiting. He, year after year, put together top classes at UNL. Look at where that landed him. You have to look at character and talent together. Not just how many stars does the kid have. One thing about Pelini is he knows how to get the best out of his kids. Don't underestimate him.

Hawkins recruiting classes at Boise St were decent, but never at the top 25 like he is now. His classes at BSU knocked off the top talent OU pulls in every year. I think Zambranski was a 2 or 3 star kid, that didn't have that many offers out of HS. I think you have to get the role players. Those kids like Paul Vigo and Vince Ewing. I don't think everyone was too excited about these young men when they committed to CU. But they can be the differencemakers that don't receive any of the press. Just your everyday roleplayers that make a HUGE difference.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  3. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

The point for me was....Husker fans need to ratchet back their expectations. The college football landscape has changed. Bo cannot rely on Husker lore to lure the blue-chippers to Lincoln...these players have many more options these days....

4. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

62-36. The end of a dynasty. :thumbsup:

5. canuck_buff

canuck_buff Active Member

Sadly Husker fans do not realize the end of the massive walk on program was the end of what they were and will ever be again.

6. The Monk

The Monk Club Member Club Member

What is the word from Dusty's super secret recruiting site?

7. BIGREDIOWAN

BIGREDIOWAN Well-Known Member

Bo is bringing it back though and that's good. I understand what you are saying though.

8. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

Thats why Nebraska is using hearts instead of stars to rate their players now. :smile2:

9. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

hand in hand with the walk on program - and critical to its success - was funding the walk on, in-state boys with academic schollys.

when the NCAA smote that practice (and nu was by far not the only school to do it - just the most successful at it) to increase parity, dr tom boogied out of there. in my opinion, he had coaching left in him - but he saw the writing on the wall; the ramifications of that one rule.

indeed, the timing of his departure and the adoption of the rule was one and the same year.

10. BIGREDIOWAN

BIGREDIOWAN Well-Known Member

I can definately see your point and I don't think any team will ever be as dominate as NU was in the 90's ever again. The face of college football has changed to make it more competitive.

11. coyeote

coyeote New Member

I agree. Besides I don't ever remember Nebraska having highly ranked recruiting classes back in the day. They had some key players that fit thier system that to be honest not that many people wanted. Option quarter backs just weren't that big of deal in the 90's. A few teams still ran the triple option but NONE of the top 20 outside of Nebraska. Running backs were kinda the same way. It seams as though so many of the highly recruited backs didn't pan out and the not so highly recruited rose to the challenge. Point being that if all the recruiting experts were really experts they'd be in coaching and not pedling someone magazine or recruiting service.