1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redshirt Freshman RT David Bakhtiari Will Start Against Colorado State

Discussion in 'CU Buffs Newsroom' started by RSSBot, Aug 31, 2010.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

More...

2. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

3. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Not totally unexpected with Givens' injury over the last couple weeks, but still pretty cool story for Bahktiari. If you had told me he would starting any games as a redshirt freshman when he was signed, I would have been shocked. Pretty amazing.

4. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

This is a move that I don't have a problem with.

Givens is a highly motivated guy with a nasty streak so he brings some good things to the table. At the same time he is still underweight to play tackle at this level and may always have to fight to keep his weight up. Worse is that he seems to have a real problem letting his emotions get in the way of playing steady, consistent football. Last year he had a number of ill-timed penalties and blew assignments in some other situations that killed drives at key times.

If Bahktiari can give us the physical presence needed to succeed and at the same time maintain the mental/emotional level to eliminate the major mistakes we will be better off for it. Both are young guys so this battle isn't necessarily over but for now I prefer this move.

5. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I see one of these guys moving to LT next year.

6. MtnBuff

I have heard that Danewitz is a very gifted LT and if not for Solder being here would be a better than average starter this year. I think with Givens mobility and nasty attitude I would like to see him end up a guard if he can get some weight to stick.

I also wonder if we continue to have a logjam of talented O-linemen if Givens might not be suited to be a big, nasty D-end. At 260-270 he could be a physical force on D and his aggression would be more of an asset.

7. Duff Man

If he stays healthy, Jack Harris will be the starting LT come 2011 IMO.

8. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

damn, apparently we have 4 bad ass tackles. now if only we had another guard.

9. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I would tend to think that you have to find a place on the field for Bryce Givens.

10. Duff Man

In all seriousness, the interior OL recruiting/development has been the major issue for a while. I think the OTs are good and the depth is pretty good. Not so much on the interior OL.

11. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

12. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I'm not an OL guru or anything, but we moved Miller inside, why can't we move one of the other tackles inside for a year?

13. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Might be that they're not big enough, weight-wise.

14. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

What is the difference between an OG and an OT? I always figured they were pretty similar, but OGs were just slightly heavier, and not athletic enough to play tackle.

15. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I suppose that's true, but aren't Dannewitz and Harris pretty hefty dudes? I just figured after all this crap we hear about how all of the OL can play any position, lets just play the best freaking people.

16. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

I could by very wrong, but I thought in the middle you want shorter guys for better vision from the pocket. Tackles move outside the view in the pocket pass protection so they can be taller.

17. Duff Man

Has something to do with matchups too. The interior linemen are matching up against DTs or NTs most of the time, players that are typically big bodies but not necessarily tall. It is about leverage, you want guards and centers that can get lower than those those DTs.

18. MtnBuff

It is a combination of things. Tackles need to have more lateral mobility, guards need more strength. The blocking techniques are different, especially in pass blocking. Guards tend to do more body to body blocking involving power against power, tackles use more arm technique idealy keeping the man at the end of your arms and away from the body, this way they can do all the moves they want and still end up with the tackle between them and the pocket. This is why tall tackles tend to have an advantage, they have long arms and can keep defenders off their bodies. Some linemen can adapt pretty quickly to the differences in the positions, some have a hard time.