What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Reduce the number of football scholarships?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
A signing day column by USA Today's Dan Wolken proposed the following:

• No more than 70 scholarship players on a roster
• No more than 20 players signed in each recruiting class
• Get rid of the redshirt rule and give players five years of eligibility to accommodate for injuries or attrition during the season.

He also talks about having coaching scholarships, which we already have with GAs. That doesn't need to be an undergrad program, imo. I could get behind increasing the number of GAs allowed, though, from 4 to 6.

Foundations of reductions come from Title IX imperatives of trying to balance the number of athletic scholarships for men & women at universities:

The NCAA first put in a 105-scholarship limit for football in 1973 after Congress passed Title IX and has reduced it periodically to 95 and then the current 85 in 1992.

I think the general idea has merit. I wouldn't go down to 70, though. 75 would be a better number. With the new rule that a player can play in up to 4 games without losing the redshirt, the rosters can accommodate a scholarship reduction without hurting the quality of play.

Also, I don't see a need to reduce the size of recruiting classes to 20. Who cares? As long as you can't go over 75, I don't really care if someone is signing 20 or 25 or 30. It's largely irrelevant.

I don't think it would impact competitive balance like Wolken thinks it would by hurting the Alabama type dynasties. That's not what happened before. What the past has shown is that the elites remain elite when you reduce scholarship numbers in football but that the depth of the power conferences gets better. You don't have those absolute, perpetual doormats in P5 conferences like you used to have. This reduction would likely take us farther in that direction with better quality football on average and a more realistic opportunity to be successful at any P5 program - but the elites would still be the elites.

Have always thought 85 was too many. I was baffled a few years back when Urban Meyer suggested 85 scholarships isn't enough for a D-1 football program. Would definitely make the sport more balanced at the P-5 level.

Lowering the scholarship limit won’t hurt Alabama and OSU one bit. It will push a few kids who might have gone to those schools to places like Tennessee, Michigan State and... wait for it... Colorado.

I would support a reduction. Although I agree that 70 might be a bit on the low side given injuries and attrition.

It would definitely hurt OSU and Alabama, if there's more parity, there's a higher chance they lose and the more they lose the worse their recruiting and fundraising.

I think if the NCAA wanted parity they should go to something closer to 50-60 scholarships, but I'm not a big fan of cutting up to 5000 scholarships for people who may not have a realistic or affordable shot at higher learning.

I would reduce it to 75-78 and tighten up the loopholes. It would make things more competitive throughout leagues.

I would reduce it to 75-78 and tighten up the loopholes. It would make things more competitive throughout leagues.
78-80 would spread talent a little bit more without making rosters too thin.

One other thing I would still like to see is a limit on early signings. If each school had a limit of say 10 or 12 early signings it would spread talent. Now a top school can sign four RBs and tell each one he is their number one priority at the position. With a limit of 10 those 3rd and 4th guys would be able to ask "If I am you number one guy why are you signing that other guy right now and telling me I need to wait until February, X school is offering me to sign right now and I will be their only RB in the early group?"

70 is better for competitive leveling. Plenty for depth given the 5 year, no RS adaptation. I likey.

650 fewer scholarships per year, on average, in FBS alone. A lot of kids would be denied a chance for college. That’s a tough one.

I’d rather see some sort of Title IX exception for revenue sports. Of course, that will never happen.

650 fewer scholarships per year, on average, in FBS alone. A lot of kids would be denied a chance for college. That’s a tough one.

I’d rather see some sort of Title IX exception for revenue sports. Of course, that will never happen.

If Football used Partials like the other sports, or some type of Net scholarship rules minus financial aid, then you could actually count about 65 net scholarships. Same amount goes to school, just calculate the cash flow differently

I'd also get rid of FCS. Those schools can choose to either come up to the number of FBS scholarships from their current 63 or they can drop down to D2 with the 36 full scholarships at that level. I've never understood why we have 2 levels of D1. D2 could get bumped up to 48 from the current 36.

I'd also get rid of FCS. Those schools can choose to either come up to the number of FBS scholarships from their current 63 or they can drop down to D2 with the 36 full scholarships at that level. I've never understood why we have 2 levels of D1. D2 could get bumped up to 48 from the current 36.

Pretty sure that D2 voted a few years ago to stay at 36 rather than dropping to 24 schollies. Many of the schools and conferences aren't offering even close to 36. Only the "power" programs can afford that many at that level. The RMAC just moved from a limit of 28 to expand by 2 every year until they are up to 36 and that was a tough sell for those programs and not all of the teams can even swing that with their budgets.

I'd say rather than getting rid of FCS would be to move weak programs/conferences out of FBS, and put harder criteria on the programs to meet or maintain FBS status: like averaging 15k sold tickets for 3 years (not counting students). The economics of the sport are too much for programs in the MAC to be meaningful "FBS" members and they are no different than teams in the Big Sky Conference at the FCS level and should compete against those similiar programs.

There is a pretty big jump from D2 to FCS though, as UNC can attest; and it's not all about the competition on the field, it's the investment in schollies, coaches, stadium/field requirements, etc as well.

Going from a good FCS program to a low-tier FBS program however is not that much of a jump: as Appalachian State, etc can attest.

I agree about the "two levels" of D-1; and I had hoped that the P5 group would truly break away formally for football leaving the lesser of the G5 programs to merge with the FCS and have a bigger division also with a playoff.

This is going nowhere. Nice article, but who is in favor among FBS prez and ADs? What will be the catalyst for this change?

I don’t see it.

FCS isn't going away, in fact I I would expect that in the future the FCS is going to get stronger.

We have a bunch of BCS level programs, some whole leagues that are only pretending to compete at the top level. Schools that average well under 25k per home game even at significantly lower ticket prices than the majority of P5 teams get. The teams are in leagues that have a total media yearly payout less than the P5 teams get for one game.

There are a bunch of G5 teams that the school is subsidizing at least 1/2 the total cost of running a football program.

These schools don't want to be D2, they don't want to give up on having a significant football presence but the economics of BCS football are going to force them to move.

I would argue that CSU and Wyoming and half the MWC are closer to the top level Big Sky programs than they are to the bottom PAC or B12 programs in terms of resources and revenue potential.

I could easily see a re-organization of college football with about 80 teams staying in the top classification, the current BCS. The rest of the current BCS including almost all the G5 programs along with the top half of the current FCS would become the new FCS. The remaining current FCS schools would move to an expanded D2 with some D2 schools moving to D3 or even going out of the football business.

FCS isn't going away, in fact I I would expect that in the future the FCS is going to get stronger.

We have a bunch of BCS level programs, some whole leagues that are only pretending to compete at the top level. Schools that average well under 25k per home game even at significantly lower ticket prices than the majority of P5 teams get. The teams are in leagues that have a total media yearly payout less than the P5 teams get for one game.

There are a bunch of G5 teams that the school is subsidizing at least 1/2 the total cost of running a football program.

These schools don't want to be D2, they don't want to give up on having a significant football presence but the economics of BCS football are going to force them to move.

I would argue that CSU and Wyoming and half the MWC are closer to the top level Big Sky programs than they are to the bottom PAC or B12 programs in terms of resources and revenue potential.

I could easily see a re-organization of college football with about 80 teams staying in the top classification, the current BCS. The rest of the current BCS including almost all the G5 programs along with the top half of the current FCS would become the new FCS. The remaining current FCS schools would move to an expanded D2 with some D2 schools moving to D3 or even going out of the football business.
Probably right. I guess my thing is more that I'm kind of anal about this stuff. Really should be:
FBS = D1
FCS = D2
D2 = D3
D3 = D4

I really hate that there are 2 sub-divisions to D1.

What's a BCS?

Probably right. I guess my thing is more that I'm kind of anal about this stuff. Really should be:
FBS = D1
FCS = D2
D2 = D3
D3 = D4

I really hate that there are 2 sub-divisions to D1.

I agree with you but I don't see the FCS schools letting that happen. Almost all of those schools play their other sports in what are considered D1 leagues.

We all know that the Big Sky, The Missouri Valley, etc. all compete for an autoberth in the NCAA basketball tourney and other sports. We all know that for the most part these schools compete in these sports at a lower level as well but it is important for the schools to be able to tell donors, alumni, and prospective students that they compete at "the top level."

We have seen CSU be willing to put about $15 million a year into being able to pretend like they are big time.

North Dakota St is a perennial top 25ish team. CSU got bitch-slapped at home by a mid-level MVFC team. I don't think you can tell those schools to go away. Didn't Va Tech get beaten by an FCS team, too?

In '14, '15 & '16, NDSU was paid more than $2 M to go on the road and beat Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas St, Iowa St, and Kansas. Good work if you can get it.

Last edited:
I don't think it would impact competitive balance like Wolken thinks it would by hurting the Alabama type dynasties. That's not what happened before. What the past has shown is that the elites remain elite when you reduce scholarship numbers in football but that the depth of the power conferences gets better. You don't have those absolute, perpetual doormats in P5 conferences like you used to have. This reduction would likely take us farther in that direction with better quality football on average and a more realistic opportunity to be successful at any P5 program - but the elites would still be the elites.

Like when Mike Shula was coaching Alabama? Or Mike DuBose? All kidding aside they did obviously get back to elite by hiring Saban. tOSU had a long crappy run until Tressel. But what youre getting at is what the ncaa is getting at; leveling the playing field for its other 115 members who can’t afford 15 quality control assistants.

Back