1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

return game notes

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by absinthe, Aug 31, 2010.

1. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Adam from rivals reporting that:

adamcm777

Brian Lockridge and Arthur Jaffee will return kicks, and Travon Patterson will return punts for Colorado in their opener.

2. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Me likey. Talk about a nice upgrade on PR. I like Lock in the back, and Jafee didn't have a bad return at all last year when given the chance.

4. Buff_since76

Buff_since76 Still a fan... Club Member

Looks like an updated depth chart and injury report are now up on at:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3843&SPID=255&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204983158

No big changes to the prior chart, except Bakhtiari is the starting RT (although I believe Givens ankle is slightly bothered at this point). They also have the game notes up. I can't believe the name of Saturday's game is really:

Cinch Jeans Rocky Mountain Showdown presented by Dr Pepper and Ultimate Electronics

god thats terrible​

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Simmons is playing. I guess the NCAA cleared him. An announcement would have been nice.

6. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

I like it and I agree with Snow that Jaff did a solid job on return. Im pretty sure he made some good tackles on the coverage unit too. If Travon returns a punt for six, Ill probably have a heart attack.

7. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I like, I suppose - but why wouldn't Travon be returning kickoffs, too?

8. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

Six yards and I'll be happy.

9. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

signed,

Dan Hawkins

10. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

**** you. Signed 2009 entire season.

11. BuffLuKe

Travon is one of our starting receivers correct?

12. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

If you're implying that using him as a punt returner is too risky, given his status as a starting WR, I couldn't disagree more. Patterson is looking to show off his talents to hopefully get a shot in the NFL. Being a punt returner might get him that chance. Playing back-ups on special teams just because you are afraid of injuries gets you craptacular special teams play.

13. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

did Travon return punts and/or kicks while at USC or is this his first time ?

14. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

Moreover, using backups on special teams to "protect" players ignores the fact that special teams still constitutes 1/3 of the game. Scotty was our leading receiver last year with 76 catches in 12 games--roughly 6 catches per game. If our defense is any good, our punt returner is going to touch the ball at least 3 times and perhaps as many as 6 or 7 times a game. That's 3 to 7 times per game our returner has a chance to to significantly affect our chances of winning the game by making the right decisions on fielding the ball (e.g. fair catch, let it bounce, return it, etc.), by actually fielding the ball (nothing worse than a special teams fumble), and by setting up our offense with a short field or potentially scoring. That's certainly as important, IMO, as the contributions any single WR makes to the offense. If you have literally only one talented WR, maybe the calculations change, but when you're going into the season with a number of WRs that you expect to perform well on offense, protecting any single one of them is absolutely stupid if he is the best returner you have.

15. Buffnik

They had a couple superstars who shared PR duties (Damian Williams and Joe McKnight). Patterson had been the PR coming out of the spring, but never got a game chance. I'm not sure how in the mix he was for KR, but CJ Gable and the other guys who handled KR duties for USC last season had significantly worse numbers than B-Lock, Scott and Jaffee had for CU last season (about 5 yards less per return).

16. BuffLuKe

Umm no thats not what Im implying if you woulda saw that I said "i like it" above. Simply saying, if he is a starting receiver and punt returner, then maybe thats why hes not returning kickoffs too. Im all for letting him do all three but its not up to me.

17. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Nice! Now we just need our kickers and punters to be better than awful and our special teams might be decent.

18. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Fair enough. I've seen the argument made before, which is why I asked.

19. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I'm glad we have ditched the "catching the punt as the punt returner is all that really matters" strategy. Quite frankly, it sucked.

20. Buffnik

^^^This^^^

And, hey, I'm in total agreement with that concept. The most important thing is to catch the ball on punts because you can't afford fumbles and a ton of yards are usually lost when it hits the ground. But it really pissed me off that we didn't have anyone on the roster who could be both trusted to field punts -and- have the ability to make a few yards on a return. It's Division 1 football, baby! It's the Big 12!