1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revenue Question

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buff_since76, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Buff_since76

Buff_since76 Still a fan... Club Member

I have a question regarding ticket sales, revenue distribution from games, and how it works. I know in the NFL the visiting team gets half the ticket revenue of each game, excluding luxury suites. In college the visiting team is allotted a certain number of seats to games. If they sell those tickets do they get to keep the revenue? A percent of the revenue? Does all revenue for a game only benefit the home team? I was curious as to whether our new conference would allow us to not only show better when traveling, but help provide revenue for the program (other than potential donations).

Thanks

2. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Interesting question I look forward to the answer.

3. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

I just finished working nearly 2 years in the ticket office of a D-I BCS conference school, and I can tell you that schools do not get to keep the revenue from away game tickets - it goes straight back to the school that is hosting the game. Now, any processing/handling fees or any other fees that the visiting school wants to add on above the face value of the ticket - the visiting school gets to keep that to use as it wishes, but that is usually a fairly insignificant amount of revenue...at the school I just left, we tacked on $5 extra per ticket as a "handling" fee (not nearly enough IMO given the complete PITA that dealing with away game tickets is!)...on the message boards of the school I left, it's a common sight during football season to see fans brag of committing exactly this fallacy: "Oh, I know the seats that school X gives us for our game there suck, but I bought through our AD cause I wanted to support us instead of school X"...little do they know that their money ultimately goes to school X anyways!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  4. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

What school were you at? ****stone State?

5. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I know there are guaranteed pay-outs for visiting teams, particularly in OOC. Otherwise, teams like the nubbies couldn't get St. Martha's School for the One Legged and Blind to come play in stincoln in September. Not sure how the confernece gates are distributed, tho.....

6. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Each conference is different, of course, on how their revenues are distributed.

Here is the Pac-10's bylaw on Football Finances:

OOC games, as mentioned, typically have a specified payout for traveling teams, most likely for the 2/1 or 1 and done type deals. Home and Home games with major programs usually do not have a payout, but a penalty in the event one side cancels their return trip.

7. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

My question is-- will the new tv contract give CU the income to perhaps bring back CU baseball?

8. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Very likely, but probably take a few years.

I think the Alumni support for adding the sport with the "energy and momentum" of joining the Pac-10 will be what brings a high-dollar sport like baseball back.

The new TV contract would be more than sufficient to cover operating, travel, and scholarship costs until endowments can be established.

The facilities and up-front costs would need to be covered by major donor support, or at least significantly covered.