1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rich Rod takes a page from the "Dan Hawkins Excuse Guide"

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by COTransplant, Dec 4, 2009.

1. COTransplant

COTransplant Club Member Club Member

This is from the team banquet, so not quite the same as justifying their 2nd half meltdown to the media, but still...

http://www.freep.com/article/20091203/SPORTS06/91203096/1354/SPORTS/Rich-Rod-U-M-survived-hurricanes

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Has the entire country bought into this quasi-feminist, new age, everyone is a winner bull****?

I hate to say it, but everyone isn't a champion. This nonsense that everyone's effort is equal or that "just trying hard" is all that is required is utter baloney. I don't want a brain surgeon, plumber, accountant or mechanic who tries hard, but rather one who succeeds. That is what made America great, rewarding excellence, not mediocrity. JMO.

I like the way Will Rogers put it: "We can't all be in the parade, some of us have to stand on the curb and wave."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Okay, what is wrong with this:
    “We didn’t end the season the way we wanted, and we didn’t win as many games as everybody would have liked. But don’t tell me this team is a failure. It’s a disappointment because we thought we could have won more and should have won more. But these guys are champions. I am proud of everyone.” - RR.

He is speaking to his team at the end of year banquet. He is saying that he wanted to win more games and so did they, but they aren't failures as long as they get up after they are knocked down. Isn't that pretty standard coach talk?

4. The Guest

The Guest Guest

dude. You're unamerican. Get that sally talk out of here.

5. COTransplant

COTransplant Club Member Club Member

I had no problem with that last part. I just found the Hurricane Katrina reference to be a little (or a lot) over the top. Reminded me of Hawk's 'whole place was burned to the ground' crap

6. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Look, if I'm a player on a 5-7 team, don't tell me I'm a champion, unless I'm under 12 years old.

8. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i agree with COTrans. winning 5 games at Michigan is not exactly the Hurricane Katrina metaphor i'd be using. it's like comparing making the minimum payment on your credit card to the war in Afghanistan.

9. HornBuff

HornBuff Horns Down

I agree but you have to consider the setting, the football banquet. That's typical fluff talk at that kind of function.

10. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

fixed

11. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

It's the Michigan code:

those who stay will be champions.

Not sure of what, or when, but nice sentiment I guess.

12. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

It's very Hawk-like for RichRod to compare his personal contract squabbles with W Va with a natural disaster. Anything but take personal responsibility.

13. RalphieSpeaks

RalphieSpeaks Club Member Club Member

it starts in summer league with kids....first place used to be a big trophy and now it is a participation trophy that proclaims your great (even though your team didn't win a game)