What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George releases a statement

As someone who struggles with using too many clauses and commas, that statement was difficult to read.

This sentence in particular is a ****ing train wreck: "I recognize and understand your disappointment and frustration and perhaps, even anger." Get someone to proofread your statement, Rick.
The RG statement perfectly highlights the complete lack of detail that has plagued CU football for a decade.

Hey Rick maybe Hawkins was right when he said this ain't intramural, CU has become little more than a glorified intramural team with the best live mascot.
Nut up dude and admit you screwed up (how novel would that be?).
In all fairness Rick can't be blamed entirely for the state of the program we all know this and changing the coach isn't going to undo all that ails.
The high road mentality CU has chosen regarding NIL has become another nail in the coffin known as obscurity.

I understand why everyone thinks someone like RG might not care about stuff, but I have seen him at games. You are keenly aware that he feels the stares and mood of those around him (who wouldn't?). It has to be very uncomfortable. He has to know people are thinking "why doesn't he do something?" Some people can probably deal with that better than others. I imagine it depends upon ego and one's sense of self worth/self importance. I think he feels the pressure and still has a high enough sense of self that he doesn't want this to be his legacy.

Obviously he has contraints from the higher ups and the financial situation, but I don't believe he's ok with this...even if it is just for personal ego reasons. I hope he's working on something.

I know this sounds crazy but I wouldn't be so sure that UCLA is going to just roll over us. After all they did just need a last second FG to beat South Alabama
Read some chatter on Twitter that South Alabama is one of the better teams in the Sun Belt.

If i ****ed up as badly at my job as RG did with that Karl contract, I'd not have gotten a 25% pay raise and an extension. I imagine what he's feeling is the stress of thinking about the next fruitless donor meeting where he gets asked WTF he was thinking and then told no, he is not getting another DIME. Lucky for him he can assuage his demons by drying his tears with $100 bills.

If i ****ed up as badly at my job as RG did with that Karl contract, I'd not have gotten a 25% pay raise and an extension. I imagine what he's feeling is the stress of thinking about the next fruitless donor meeting where he gets asked WTF he was thinking and then told no, he is not getting another DIME. Lucky for him he can assuage his demons by drying his tears with $100 bills.
Yeah, I don't understand why KD's contract was structured the way it was. If I had to guess it was probably part of arranging it to disuade KD from pulling a Midnight Mel if he turned out to do well...but I don't understand it well enough to say that. Otherwise a buyout that ties the university's hands like that is inexplicable.

BUT, those who suggest it is because RG is a fool or something I think are underselling the guy. Many of you work at high level outfits. You have run into people like this. A guy like RG would have already fouled out long before this at a previous gig (remember what those were) had he been incompetant.

The suggestions that it is structural/institutional seem more on point to me than thinking the AD is an idiot.

Pity the contract couldn't have been heavily weighted towards incentivization based on wins. But when you are negotiating from a position of weakness that can really limit your talent pool options (coaches willing to put up with an incentives-based deal like that).

I’m honestly a little confused what you guys expect a statement like that to say. I thought it was fine as long as it didn’t say he backed Dorrell and believes he is the right coach
It's venting pure and simple, but it isn't without purpose. CU only acts when forced. Even then, the bandaid on the headwound approach prevails.

RG is getting roundly criticized, and he should. He blew it by hiring a HC nobody else wanted and hanging an albatross around the AD's neck at the same time with that ridiculous guaranteed contract. He failed catastrophically and he should get every bit of the grief he is getting.

While we may feel good about getting rid of HCKD, I cannot fathom why anyone would want RG, LC or Dr. Phil anywhere near the hiring process. There is no guarantee the clown show doesn't repeat their catastrophic decisions. RG should be fired. LC should be fired. Dr. Phil should be fired, allowed to go on the ice floe, retire, I don't care as long as he is gone.

Pity the contract couldn't have been heavily weighted towards incentivization based on wins. But when you are negotiating from a position of weakness that can really limit your talent pool options (coaches willing to put up with an incentives-based deal like that).
You’re not negotiating from a position of weakness when talking to a retirement aged burnout without employment options. Karl had 0 leverage. We gave up the world for nothing. Very poor decision making at all levels from admin and AD

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't understand why KD's contract was structured the way it was. If I had to guess it was probably part of arranging it to disuade KD from pulling a Midnight Mel if he turned out to do well...but I don't understand it well enough to say that. Otherwise a buyout that ties the university's hands like that is inexplicable.

BUT, those who suggest it is because RG is a fool or something I think are underselling the guy. Many of you work at high level outfits. You have run into people like this. A guy like RG would have already fouled out long before this at a previous gig (remember what those were) had he been incompetant.

The suggestions that it is structural/institutional seem more on point to me than thinking the AD is an idiot.
The only way RG is absolved of this is if it ever comes to light that Phil DeStefano gave him a mandate to give the next coach a contract that would deter the University from having to go through yet another coaching search prior to Phil, himself, retiring. However, I don't even think the buyout terms if KD was to leave for another job on his own accord are anything too favorable for CU, so all it really did was make it so the University had to pay more money for longer than it would like if he sucked, so I find this theory highly unlikely.

The hiring of KD is bad enough, but you can probably squint to justify it in the name of stability and someone who isn't going to leave. However, the contract is really inexcusable, no matter how hard you try to justify it, and RG has a history of giving out bad contracts to football coaches that come back to bite them. As the tweet response in the other thread said, it's as if they had a contract for Steve Sarkisian ready to go, and when he declined, they just crossed his name out and wrote in Karl Dorrell.

You’re not negotiating from a position of weakness when talking to a retirement aged burnout without employment options. Karl had 0 leverage. We have up the world for nothing. Very poor decision making at all levels from admin and AD
I think you may be forgetting how we had to scramble when Mel left us high and dry and unexpectedly (wasn't he basically assuring RG until the last minute that he was good with staying at CU?). And when your coach leaves after one season the way Mel left, it doesn't exactly make the university look like a place a coach with any shine to them would want to end up. Yes, there was the scent of desperation. Perhaps a desire to somehow hold on to whatever recruiting momentum Mel seemed to have generated.

I don't want to seem like an RG fanboy. But I don't think he's a fool (and we have thought past AD's were idiots...until they left and seemed to do well elsewhere. Mike Bohn comes to mind...).

It's venting pure and simple, but it isn't without purpose. CU only acts when forced. Even then, the bandaid on the headwound approach prevails.

RG is getting roundly criticized, and he should. He blew it by hiring a HC nobody else wanted and hanging an albatross around the AD's neck at the same time with that ridiculous guaranteed contract. He failed catastrophically and he should get every bit of the grief he is getting.

While we may feel good about getting rid of HCKD, I cannot fathom why anyone would want RG, LC or Dr. Phil anywhere near the hiring process. There is no guarantee the clown show doesn't repeat their catastrophic decisions. RG should be fired. LC should be fired. Dr. Phil should be fired, allowed to go on the ice floe, retire, I don't care as long as he is gone.
You're 100% right-but I'd be floored if they dumped RG right now. Sending Lance Carl packing might be a completely different deal though.

My guess is a search firm is involved in the search for Dorrell's replacement and RG is somewhat of a rubber stamp.

I think you may be forgetting how we had to scramble when Mel left us high and dry and unexpectedly (wasn't he basically assuring RG until the last minute that he was good with staying at CU?). And when your coach leaves after one season the way Mel left, it doesn't exactly make the university look like a place a coach with any shine to them would want to end up. Yes, there was the scent of desperation. Perhaps a desire to somehow hold on to whatever recruiting momentum Mel seemed to have generated.

I don't want to seem like an RG fanboy. But I don't think he's a fool (and we have thought past AD's were idiots...until they left and seemed to do well elsewhere. Mike Bohn comes to mind...).
I don't think RG is a fool, either. I want to believe that some of the rumors of Mel Tucker's transgressions in Boulder are true, leading to the administration forcing the next hire to be squeaky clean and someone who wasn't going to leave. That doesn't really jive with the Sarkisian courting, though, so I doubt that's true.

However, MT bailed in February. Yes, that's late in a typical coaching search and might have cost CU some of the (at the time) solid recruiting class he put together, had they taken a bit more time, but they had interest from Steve Sarkisian, along with rumors of Bret Beilema, Jim Mora Jr, Troy Calhoun, maybe Bienemy and a few others I'm forgetting. There was zero reason to panic and go from one of those kind of candidates to Karl Dorrell and give him the contract they did.

I’m not forgetting the circumstances. There is literally no basis for giving Karl Dorrell this type of contract. There simply is no justification

You're 100% right-but I'd be floored if they dumped RG right now. Sending Lance Carl packing might be a completely different deal though.

My guess is a search firm is involved in the search for Dorrell's replacement and RG is somewhat of a rubber stamp.
I think if RG was in danger of getting canned, you'd see a statement like that from Todd Saliman, instead of RG. I'm guessing RG is here through his contract and will be involved, with Saliman, in firing and hiring a new HC.

, but they had interest from Steve Sarkisian, along with rumors of Bret Beilema, Jim Mora Jr, Troy Calhoun, maybe Bienemy and a few others I'm forgetting. There was zero reason to panic and go from one of those kind of candidates to Karl Dorrell and give him the contract they did.
If Bieniemy wanted the job, he would have been here. He absolutely, positively turned down every opportunity to interview for the CU HC position. He is holding out for a shot at a HC position in the NFL.

Don’t forget that RG had a good chance of hiring Sarkisian until he added a stipulation that he’d have to keep Chev and Hagen. DiStefano had a hand in that I think.

The only way RG is absolved of this is if it ever comes to light that Phil DeStefano gave him a mandate to give the next coach a contract that would deter the University from having to go through yet another coaching search prior to Phil, himself, retiring. However, I don't even think the buyout terms if KD was to leave for another job on his own accord are anything too favorable for CU, so all it really did was make it so the University had to pay more money for longer than it would like if he sucked, so I find this theory highly unlikely.

The hiring of KD is bad enough, but you can probably squint to justify it in the name of stability and someone who isn't going to leave. However, the contract is really inexcusable, no matter how hard you try to justify it, and RG has a history of giving out bad contracts to football coaches that come back to bite them. As the tweet response in the other thread said, it's as if they had a contract for Steve Sarkisian ready to go, and when he declined, they just crossed his name out and wrote in Karl Dorrell.
I for one believe that was RG's mandate, still was KD the only choice he had to fill the position? Hell he/we might've been better off hitting the G5 pool and snag an up and comer....sure couldn't be any worse than what we've had.
I'm an old fart and I know the marketing, reactive vs proactive and the lack of responsibility taking have all played a part in where we are in today's CFB era. Get out of the cave and embrace the now and future.
I've never advocated not going to games or donating to affect change...having second thoughts.

If Bieniemy wanted the job, he would have been here. He is holding out for a shot at a HC position in the NFL.
All of those guys I listed were reportedly interested in the job at some level, but rumors that both Chev and Summers (and probably Hagan) were required to be retained, along with specific demands for assistant coach salaries and recruiting operations not being assured, basically turned them away.

If Bieniemy wanted the job, he would have been here. He absolutely, positively turned down every opportunity to interview for the CU HC position. He is holding out for a shot at a HC position in the NFL.
In fact, I know for certain, he was hoping for the Philadelphia Eagles position when Doug Pedersen was let go and he was extremely disappointed that Duce Staley received more of an interest than he did. Duce and Eric were both interviewed. I was lobbying HARD to someone in the Eagles organization that he be given a fair shake, but that did not happen.

I might be a masochist, but I’d kind of like to see what RG can do without Phil yanking his chain. Mike Bohn’s name has been tossed around a lot as an example of a guy who couldn’t make it work here but was very successful everywhere else. It’s possible - likely even - that RG is similarly handicapped.

I don't think RG is a fool, either. I want to believe that some of the rumors of Mel Tucker's transgressions in Boulder are true, leading to the administration forcing the next hire to be squeaky clean and someone who wasn't going to leave. That doesn't really jive with the Sarkisian courting, though, so I doubt that's true.

However, MT bailed in February. Yes, that's late in a typical coaching search and might have cost CU some of the (at the time) solid recruiting class he put together, had they taken a bit more time, but they had interest from Steve Sarkisian, along with rumors of Bret Beilema, Jim Mora Jr, Troy Calhoun, maybe Bienemy and a few others I'm forgetting. There was zero reason to panic and go from one of those kind of candidates to Karl Dorrell and give him the contract they did.
I'm just retroactively happy we didn't end up with Food Cart. We dodged a bullet there.

I recall the sentiment of RG/CU feeling very jilted when mmt bolted in February. That was the prevailing thought in their heads when they hired Dorrell and gave him that contract. They wanted a Buff who would be committed and hard pressed to leave if poached. I also agree with those who say RG sort of panicked and took the easy choice. As for Distefano, I see him as pure bureaucrat very uninterested in ever doing any heavy lifting for athletics. And as for new president Saliman? Not going to be helpful. Life long budget/policy wonk. Not adept at high level competitive hiring. And not sure his rolodex is dialed into the big donors needed. Call me chicken little.

Back