What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RIP Drew wahlroos

Drew's death shall not be in vain.

Drew and Rashaan are two very real and special examples of why fans should be on board with minimizing concussion risk.

I just don't know what they are gonna be able to do to minimize it really. Hope they know.
They are obviously trying to legislate damaging hits out....to what effect, we will see. But IMO, allowing for the use of cannabanoids would be a start.

Concussion protocols.
Already have rules in place to assess players who have had their bells rung. Coaches are less prone to let players keep playing after a violent head impact.
Need to get better at assessing head injuries. At some point, diagnosis will get better, cheaper. Hard to justify running players through MRI or CT scans after games and practices. But some say that might be doable.

Rules
Already seen modifications to KO at the 35 to de-emphasize returns. Maybe KO gets removed all together some day.

Already seen modifications on rules specific to targeting. Head to head impact equals ejection. Helmet comes off, player sits a play out.

Anticipate more rules around tackelling, maybe modifications to punt returns.

Practicing
Less contact during practice. Fewer drills involve tacking and violent collision

More emphasis on tackling technique - rugby style.

More focus on allowing brain to heal. Less stigma when players sit out plays or retire early.

Equipment
Development in helmet design to include more cushion.
Future might include G-sensors that trigger a notification when forces exceed safe thresholds

Some discussion about soft helmet or no helmets which forces players not to use their heads to tackle.
Future - hopefully not flag football.

I'm telling y'all it's not just helmet to helmet causing concussions.

True. Some marathon runners get concussions from the repetitive low impact of running causing their brains to slosh around.

Really, what else does? I'm actually asking because Idk.

CTE has been found in the autopsies of people who did not have concussions, but who were exposed to regular blows to the head. The theory is that a lineman taking hundreds of small hits every game is as much at risk as someone who suffers severe concussions.

CTE has been found in the autopsies of people who did not have concussions, but who were exposed to regular blows to the head. The theory is that a lineman taking hundreds of small hits every game is as much at risk as someone who suffers severe concussions.
I see, thanks for that. The little adds up to alot.

Interesting new helmet innovation discussed during the game tonight. It's flexible with a shock absorbing cushion. They also mentioned many concussions are caused by head to ground contact.

Saw that interesting. Also mentioned the ground causing a lot of concussions, knew that one already unfortunately.

In 10 years it will all be flag football
In 10 years, there may be an effective treatment. Never doubt science and its ability to make breakthroughs.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...or-a-concussion-pill-as-new-nfl-season-begins
http://news.miami.edu/stories/2016/10/could-a-pill-treat-concussions.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/12/cannabinoid-concussion-pill/511508/

Not only does this kind of research have major implications for the future of contact sports (including soccer), it could have major benefits to furthering research in neurodegenerative diseases like dementia and alzheimer's. I also have a feeling that more money will be put into R&D on engineering solutions for safer, more effective headgear. We all know that brain injury occurs from the brain hitting the inner wall of the skull. So the headgear of the future will be able to sense the force of the impact and adjust the damping ratio to allow the head to decelerate at a rate that allows the cranial fluid to protect the brain.

In 10 years, there may be an effective treatment. Never doubt science and its ability to make breakthroughs.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...or-a-concussion-pill-as-new-nfl-season-begins
http://news.miami.edu/stories/2016/10/could-a-pill-treat-concussions.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/12/cannabinoid-concussion-pill/511508/

Not only does this kind of research have major implications for the future of contact sports (including soccer), it could have major benefits to furthering research in neurodegenerative diseases like dementia and alzheimer's. I also have a feeling that more money will be put into R&D on engineering solutions for safer, more effective headgear. We all know that brain injury occurs from the brain hitting the inner wall of the skull. So the headgear of the future will be able to sense the force of the impact and adjust the damping ratio to allow the head to decelerate at a rate that allows the cranial fluid to protect the brain.
Many will not understand this, but I am telling you, I really think Cannabanoids might be the answer. I don't smoke weed, never have, but I have personally seen it do some amazing things in this area. Quite ironic actually...

Do we see as many issues with athletes in other heavy contact sports without helmets? I'm thinking rugby specifically.

The theory would be that wearing a helmet enables a player to be more risky and aggressive with the head. Lose the helmet and they'd all be more careful. No idea if that holds water.

I was reading on popular science about concussions and helmets etc, you guys should check that out. Some weird ass helmets on there for sure. One of them looked like rubber.

Do we see as many issues with athletes in other heavy contact sports without helmets? I'm thinking rugby specifically.

The theory would be that wearing a helmet enables a player to be more risky and aggressive with the head. Lose the helmet and they'd all be more careful. No idea if that holds water.
Boxing

It'd be interesting to see stats from rugby and Aussie football.

Found this in a Brain Injury Law Center blog:

New Zealand journalist Ben Heather wrote a thorough exposé of the issue, speaking with current and retired rugby players about their experiences with injuries and treatment. He cited the following sobering statistics:
  • About 1,200 people suffer head injuries while playing rugby each year.
  • About two-thirds of these injuries are either concussion or brain injuries.
  • The figures do not account for ongoing health problems which cannot be directly linked to rugby injuries.
  • In total, more than 50,000 people seek medical attention for rugby injuries each year, costing about $60 million.
In 2011, Heather wrote, the Auckland University of Technology compared the number of catastrophic incidents (i.e., resulting in paralysis or death) in rugby with other sports between 1975 and 2005. It found that with the exception of England, rugby incidents worldwide showed 4.6 catastrophic injuries for every 100,000 players annually.
Confronted with these statistics, the response of a rugby official was terse: “Rugby is not NFL football.”
How Does the NFL Compare?

Comparable statistics from the NFL look like this:
  • 228 diagnosed concussions were reported during preseason and regular-season practices and games in the 2013 season.
  • However, one-third of all NFL concussions are left off the injury report.
  • Half of the time, injured players go right back to playing after an injury without missing a game.
  • Since the NFL redrafted its injury-related rules in 2009, the league saw a drop in the number of players placed on the injury report because of a concussion.
  • Week 12 of the NFL season is notorious for showing a sudden increase in concussions — experts speculate it has to do with how small, consistent blows to the head lower the threshold for concussion occurrence.
  • The same Auckland University of Technology report showed American football resulting in 1.0 catastrophic incidents per every 100,000 players between 1975 and 2005. That’s more than 75% fewer incidents than the index tallied in rugby.
While it can be argued that professional players of both football and rugby are ultimately responsible for the risks of their job, the precedent set by professional sports has a chilling trickle-down effect to amateur, college and children’s sports. Only last May, Canadian Rowan Stringer fell unconscious after a tackle in a high school rugby match…and never woke up.

i've heard some talk from some smart football people on how to address the CTE stuff, possibly. and, possibly save guys like this (if it was CTE related).

i am not quoting as gospel, but the suggestions i've heard are as follows:

1. soft helmets.
2. no face masks.
3. legislate rugby style tackles (shoulder first, not head first).

RIP DW. i hope his family finds some peace.

Cannabis may help with week-to-week recovery. Maybe. The idea that it could cure or prevent CTE is rubbish.

I had a severe head injury in grad school. Just one. And in retrospect, my mind, my thought process, has never been the same. I cannot imagine the cumulative effect of many, many head injuries. I am torn, because football is the greatest team sport in the history of man. But, if it is killing its players, I have to consider whether I have some moral responsibility here. My son died last year (he was 2). Knowing that pain, knowing what we know about football and CTE, there is no chance in hell I would let a second son play football. So how can I rationally support the sport I love most? I rationalize it the same way others reference in this thread. The tech is better, the medicine is better, the protocols and procedures are better. But what if fifteen years from now, a senior on this year's team kills himself with a gunshot to the chest? Will we allow ourselves to rationalize it the same way? I don't know. I'm not making a point, but thinking out loud.

I don't want to deter this thread from Drew, who I did not know personally at all, but time at CU slightly overlapped with mine. As a fan, however, for those who do not recall, he was a warrior. For current students, he was a soft-spoken PL. Many thoughts and prayers to his family over the last couple days.

Count me as officially being worried now. When you can't recall playing one of the best games of your career there is a problem

I think anybody that has played for several years has thought about it. I'm no exception, I have quite a bit the more it's been brought to light.

Drew's death shall not be in vain.

Drew and Rashaan are two very real and special examples of why fans should be on board with minimizing concussion risk.

Reading Ryan Miller's story showed me a lot about the severity of head injuries as well. Really crazy and horrifying.

“I couldn’t even open my phone to dial 911,” he said. “… I had felt like you filled (my head) with hot sulfur and somebody had taken an anvil and was slamming my head against that anvil. All I wanted to do was die. Then I woke up two days later on the bathroom floor, no idea really what happened.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/07/ryan-miller-cte-post-concussion-syndrome-brain-research/

Back