1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rule on penalty and starting the clock when in kicking formation

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by MSBuff, Nov 11, 2007.

1. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

:wow:Early this morning I was running through the threads and saw one where the original post stated that when I penalty is called on a team in a kicking formation the clock will start not on the official placing the ball in play but on the snap of the ball.

Anyone else see it? I can not find it now. :confused:

2. BeachBronco

BeachBronco Active Member

I read the same thing when I read the 2007 NCAA rule book today, I was pissed, but I did not see the game and I was told they snapped the ball on the whistle, but there is potential that the retards actually made the right call.

3. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Even if they did make the right call, we wouldn't be talking about it if they could spot the damn ball in 15 seconds.

4. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

Thanks. Do you happen to remember just where that rule is? I was going to start looking when I had time. I am not sure why, but for some reason the post I saw was quickly eliminated. I when back in about an hour to find it and could not find it. Took to long to get the coffee on I guess.

5. AustinTxBuff

AustinTxBuff Well-Known Member

Page FR-68, Rule 3-2-5-a-4.

If the game clock was stopped to complete a penalty, then it will be started at the ready for play. The only exception is after a delay foul by Team A in scrimmage-kick formation.

If the penalty was delay of game, then it looks like by rule the clock should have re-started on the snap, not the ready.

6. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

This makes sense. When the whistle is blown for the ready a ref is standing right next to the ball. If the snap must happen immediately after the whistle he would get crushed by the rush so the refs would want, in that situation, for players to have the time to wait for him to exit the line of scrimmage before they have to snap the ball. Hence, the clock should start on the snap.