1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumor mill CU vs Hawaii soon

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by SJBuff, Jun 2, 2007.

1. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

I just got off the phone with my Dad. He played golf today with a CU grad who has friends in the CU Athletic department. He told my Dad that a deal was just worked out for CU to play Hawaii in the near future. I looked at our future schedules and we still have some holes in 2008, 2010 & 2011 which is the time frame my Dad believes the deal was made for. I believe it will be 2 home games for CU and one Home game for UH. I know the three holes in those schedules are all for home games but my Dad was positive that the deal included the Buffs making one trip to Hawaii to play the Warriors there.

Personally I don't like this move. UH is a WAC team but they are a dangerous WAC team and are no cream puff. Their offense can be a handful and usually requires extra time for the D to prepare for. If UH gets hot, watch out. Theoretically we should beat them hands down every time and because that's what the CFB world believes we will get no credit for doing so but they are also a good enough team that an upset is within their reach and to lose to a WAC team early in the season would be devastating for the Buffs. My take (even though the buffs are finally playing the team I grew up watching), bad move - little to no upside and big downside risk.

This is just what my Dad's friend said a friend of his in the AD told him. I have no idea how credible this info is but I thought I'd share it.

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

I have heard this rumor also. I think it will happen. And your spot on about the risk factor in this game. I don't like it.

3. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

good recruiting tool? that what's they used to say. i never understood how being in Hawaii for 48 hours could cause a student-athlete to make a 4 year commitment to an institution....but, hey?

4. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

we've done fairly well in our recruiting efforts from hawaii in the last few years. i think that is the main reason for the 2&1 (assuming this rumor is accurate...).

and there are some advantages to telling a kid from some ****assed town in texas that he will be able to play some top-notch nationally recognized teams AND travel to hawaii during his stint in boulder.

i understand the downside, but that has been a longstanding philosophy of scheduling at cu; and i like the fact that we are willing to take that risk with some level of confidence that there will be return on the investment.

another way to look at it...how many of us would be screaming if we were filling those open spots with some d-1aa or d-2 team that had a much lower upside and an even deeper downside?

5. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

I believe Dizon is from Hawaii. We have a couple of players as I recall.

6. MiamiBuffs

Get's hot? ****, they already are hot. June Jones has done a terrific job with that program. That team is fun to watch. Reminds me of the Fresno State team that beat us at home around the turn of the century.

Theoretically, Boise State should never beat any BCS team including the better team from Oklahoma. And in a major BCS Bowl as well.

Oh, and theorectically a major team should never lose a game to a team from a lower division. Like Montana State. :cry:

This is the new trend in college football. In the old days schedules were done 10 years in advance. Not so much anymore. Also in the old days lower tier team would agree to away only games so they could get the payday. Now they demanding two games with one game at their house.

Oddly, this has forced those other teams in our conference (think purple and red) to schedule BCS conference teams because they don't want play a game at Louisiana Tech, Troy State, or Western Michigan. :thumbsup:

7. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

I have heard similar thoughts but heard it could be a 4 game series with a few in Hawaii. From a selfish standpoint of travelling to go see football games in neat places, I am for a trip to Hawaii.

From a football perspective this is a potential trap game....but then again, I expect us to be getting quite good by the time these games roll around. I have to also believe that this can only help us keep loading the roster with the tough guys from that state - they have been nothing but awesome for the Buffs and it would be great to rule that territory. :thumbsup:

On another note - why don't the tough Colorado games get listed in the article posted above? Is it that we just have too many good games to list or is it that our upcoming non-conference games still make the rest of the Big XII look like a bunch of pansies?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  8. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

that and the fact that it was an article in the lincoln journal star will answer your question...

9. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Sweet. I am soooooo there :thumbsup: I have never been to Hawaii but that is about to change :nod:

:gobuffs:

10. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

this could entice me to hawaii.

i would rather put my faith in hawk than to chicken little around about wac teams. if a wac team is strong enough to beat us, fine. so be it. i would like to see a return to the time when we were willing to square off with ANYBODY, without fear about if they were going to be "good". hawaii does have a smart coach at the helm, so this is a matchup i can watch with interest.

bottom line: what a state to visit! woot! we do recruit from there, so playing there would be a great idea.

i fail to see any negatives.

11. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

the flight

12. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

In 2009, in addition to playing at Virginia Tech, Nebraska will play home games against three Sun Belt Conference teams — Florida Atlantic, Louisiana-Lafayette and Arkansas State.

woo! 3 Sun Belt teams.

nice article that contradicts itself about 100 times. Pederson is a clown, only NU fans believe his Pravda.

13. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

kinda necessary to get there, isn't it?

14. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

just pointing out the downside :smile2:

15. BrownEyedBuffGirl

BrownEyedBuffGirl Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

I've never been to Hawaii, but I'm thinking it'd be a whole ****load better than Stinkoln, Lawrence, etc.

16. MiamiBuffs

Recruiter: "And if you commit to us today son we will throw in an all expense paid trip to Hawaii". :lol:

17. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I'll make at least one, if not both games over there. Yeah, it's a trap, but potentially so is every other game we play. KU was a trap last year. MSU was a trap last year. It's only a trap if you allow it to be so.

The stadium kinda sucks, though. It's about 30 years old and has never had any renovations of any kind. But, it's a hell of a lot better than stincoln, that's for sure. I think it will be fun to head over there for a long weekend and catch some good football.

18. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Given how well we recruit in Hawaii I like the move brings the Buffs out there which can only help our work in that state and should be a lot of fun to watch once Hawks offence is running full speed.

19. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Hawaiians love High School Football, too. I say that because the end result of the love of HS football translates into some decent players coming out of the state. No, it's not like California, Texas, Florida and Ohio, but they produce a fair amount of D-1 talent every year. Brian Cabral is from there, and we have several players on the current roster from there. It makes a lot of sense, actually.

20. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

And if youi look at the players we have had in the past from there you will see they have proven to be some of the toughest guys on the team...they consistently have a solid work ethic and have a mean streak.