What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

S&C Coach Dave Forman let go

Not sure we want the under-aged players to be drinking beer instead of protein shakes following their workouts.
At least we could recruit 98 pound weaklings and have them up to 240 lbs of solid muscle in a year.

Is Maryland known for having great S&C?

I always thought they kinda sucked.

The point is he seems to be competent. He may or may not be a clear upgrade, but hard to say he represents any sort of step back.

I think the S&C "science" is pretty understood and accepted and there are no "magic potions." I'd imagine what would separate one S&C guy from another would be more along the lines of ability to motivate kids and push them to the max and to act as a kind of "adjunct" coach in the off season who assures the kids are putting in the work the coaches want them to.

I think the S&C "science" is pretty understood and accepted and there are no "magic potions." I'd imagine what would separate one S&C guy from another would be more along the lines of ability to motivate kids and push them to the max and to act as a kind of "adjunct" coach in the off season who assures the kids are putting in the work the coaches want them to.

A good S&C coach supplements a good program but it cannot create a good program.

The point is he seems to be competent. He may or may not be a clear upgrade, but hard to say he represents any sort of step back.

I think Forman was the right guy to have had designing facilities. He's very much a theory guy and I bet he could write an S&C thesis that would be among the best in the nation for his profession. I saw a comment on Rivals by someone that probably hit it on the head: he should be training Olympic athletes. But what we need at CU in a college program is someone who gets to know the young men in the program, develops relationships with them, turns that into an ability to motivate each individual while holding them accountable, and employs a KISS strategy of lifting weights to develop explosive power on a football field. That's what we're getting and what we did not have before.

(As an aside, being personally a very analytical personality I would have responded very well to Lindgren's program. I'm also not normal for a football locker room. What would work for me - the Forman approach - is the exact wrong approach to take with an entire college football team.)

JBYDRRJCZHKWTGL.20160105184843.jpg

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210617211

Easy to blame the S&C coach when the team gets pushed around.

S&C coach can only do so much when he is given slow, short and skinny to work with. Recruiting stars are there for a reason and constantly recruiting kids without any will not work in the long run.

Sounds great! seems as though I was hearing/reading all the same things about Forman? How he made the trees so BIG and strong... We will see? Proof is in the pudding as they say.

Sounds great! seems as though I was hearing/reading all the same things about Forman? How he made the trees so BIG and strong... We will see? Proof is in the pudding as they say.
I seem to remember everyone getting excited about Forman, and Pittman (sp?) before him, and so on until all of those guys eventually fell out of favor with the fanbase when CU kept getting pushed around. 3 possibilities:

• ST/C is not as important as we think it is
  • The stuff that we were excited about with the previous guys did not work with football team at large
  • the former ST/C guys were not given the right materials to work with
Like DBT said, I'm not "excited" about this hire, but I'm not disappointed, either. Mostly because I'm starting to believe that ST/C isn't as important as we think it is.

You mean like strength. Oh, and maybe conditioning?

They are the players coach and contact during the summer, so there is that.

This - I think the summer coaching is very important, although the rules allow for more interaction with the other coaches over the summer than they used to (limited #hours / week with any coach - I don't remember the detail)

I think one of the often over looked influences that a S&C coach can have on the team is to instill/teach mental toughness. IMO, a good one will push guys to the limit and ask them to take one more step. This teaches the players as they mature from 18 yr olds to 21 yr olds how to push through physically and mentally adverse situations.

Previous to last year (and for the several years prior), we were simply a young team. Aside from the obvious, my major criticism of last years team is that they lacked that fortitude. Relieving Forman made sense to me, and I hope that the new guy brings with him that "edge".

You mean like strength. Oh, and maybe conditioning?

It's better than that time AllBuffs proposed having two coaches split the duties. One who could show football players how to put on 40 pounds of muscle during their redshirt season and one who would assist in shaving tenths of a second off their 40 times.

I wonder what happened to those candy asses.

Back