1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scholarship question

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sackman, Apr 5, 2008.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Seeing the newsroom post about Hugh Charles on the track team made me wonder about how they account for scholarships when one player is a varsity athlete on two different teams. Do they split the scholarship or assign it to one sport or the other? I know for a lot of the minor sports, partial scholarships are awarded. I knew a guy who was on a golf scholarship at Wyoming (don't ask), but it wasn't a full ride.

Does anybody know how this is handled? Maybe FlaBuff or Wyo Buff?

2. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

If you play football, you can't be a scholarship athlete in another sport. You can walk on in both, of course, but if you are scholarship track you can't play football without switching to a football scholarship. The NCAA doesn't wan't anybody evading the football scholarship limits by having a bunch of guys being on scholarships in other sports and then playing football. I think it works the same way with basketball too.

3. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

That makes sense. Okay, now does anyone know how Ronald Curry, Tony Gonzales, Bo Jackson, and other multi-sport stars in "major" sports were handles in terms of scholarship count?

4. BuffsIn2008

BuffsIn2008 Guest

Same deal with Bo, Curry, et al. They all had football scholarships only, which is the only way the NCAA lets you do it, as indicated by BuffsRising.

5. sackman

Tony Gonzales played both basketball and football. Somebody got an advantage there. Probably the basketball team.

6. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i wonder if he "counted" against both bb and fb schollie limits? that would be the worst of both worlds...

7. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

He counted against football and football only.

8. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

House Guest would have only counted for basketball if he never got into a game. Once he was in a game, the scholli counted towards football.

9. sackman

Did Rodell actually play in a football game? He was a great guy. Interned at my bank. The SVP would always come around and say "Hey there, House!"

So once he played a down of football, his scholarship automatically became a football scholarship?

10. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Wasn't he on the field goal block? I might be wrong, cause I remember wondering why we didn't have more blocks with him on the team.

11. The Monk

The Monk Club Member Club Member

Sucks that schools have abused scholarships and now we have retarded rules that penalize schools with duel athletes. Wish the NCAA had real oversight instead of just broad stroke bureaucracy.

Academic scholarships still can override the rule right?

12. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Nope. You can't use an academic scholarship for football players.