1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrimmage Report

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Jerry, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Ringo hasn't posted anything yet. Did anybody go to the scrimmage today? Word is that the offense looked pretty good.

2. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Sounds like Ryan Miller and the other big freshman OL are going to start.

3. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

Today was the best I have seen the Buffs since Hawk arrived. Everyone was firing on all cylindars and everyone played great.

Quarterbacks:
    Cody looks like he will be the one calling the plays this year and he was hitting every single reciever in stride today with the exception of one that was overthrown on what looked like miscommunication between the reciever (Josh Smith) and Cody.

Nick Nelson also looked very good. It seemed like he played a bit more than Cody but was playing just as well as Cody hitting all recievers in the hands and he threw just one interception.

Running Backs
    Hugh was a rocket today. He was hitting the HUGE holes the O-line was making and hitting them very hard. It often took 2 or more players on occasion to take him down and he kept fighting for every yard.

Wide Receiver
    This is the most excited I have been about our receiving core in a while. The 3 new freshman all played well and Josh Smith was unstoppable today. Patrick Williams also caught 2 touchdown passes and even Hugh had a large reception today. The tight ends had a few passes but were used mostly as blockers for the running game.

O-line
    Yes I could see Miller starting at guard and the line was solid today. Allowing 2 sacks (Both of which were on rollout plays), the O-line should hold up well this year and hopefully can prevent injuries.

Defense
    The defense was solid today. Didnt allow many big plays and stoped the second team run game well. The Linebackers all were in on every play and the DB's played tight and well.

Special Teams
    No B-jax today, so Hugh and Ellis were returning kicks while Stephone was fielding punts. DiLallo was looking good and Eberhart made a 40 or so yard field goal, he is no Crosby but he will do just fine.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  4. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Ringo's report is in.

Buffs had 609 yards of offense, and Nelson got his hand whacked on a helmet

Practice blog

5. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

As expected, sounds like the QB job is Cody's to lose.

6. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Oh jeez! I hope I'm not getting my hopes up! But I just have a feeling these guys are going to surprise people!

7. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

:yeahthat::dance:

8. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

I always get my hopes up this time of year.

9. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

From what I saw yesterday I would say its safe to get your hopes up. Im not saying yesterday they looked like the were going to the MNC but they sure as hell looked like a potential bowl team playing out there.

10. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

I have to say it's very difficult this time of year to wade through all of the reports both by fans and media types. As we all know, hope springs eternal this time of year.

Since I've not been able to get out to see any practice, I rely on these sources to get 'the scoop.' The problem is you still have shills like Woelk out there spouting unbridaled glowing reports--which is the same as every year; you still have the Joe Williams' and Joe Armstrong's that simply decry the program based on no facts, but feeling and antagonistic intent (to get people to call in)--again same as every year; then you have the fans, some you've come to 'know' over the years, some you don't. This is where it get interesting...when you see the normally glass-half-empty-poster saying that today's a sunny day and the future is bright, then I take that as a REALLY good thing. And the converse can be said for the sunshine pumper....

Given that, I must say that not much has moved the needle for me this year in terms of dispair or optimism for this team this year. That said, it is only the 1st week...:confused::huh:

:cry:

11. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Don't feel too bad. OU had a scrimmage this past weekend and apparently the offense was not impressive at all. They are really struggling to identify a starting QB, as well - and they have THREE qb's they are having to look at.

12. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Jeezum crow, people! This is the time of year you're SUPPOSED to be optimistic and getting your hopes up. It's the fun of being a fan of a team. At least wait until you've seen live-game action before letting the pessimism set in.

13. buffintx

buffintx Guest

I admit the reports do seem encouraging, esp. the increased strength training and hard-ass training (I love the mobile sand pit). Couple that with the fact the Buffs were in every game up until the 4th quarter last year, I think they have a chance to be fairly decent. HOWEVER, this is a program who has lost 14 out of the last 16 times they have taken the field, lost to Baylor twice in a row and lost at home to a BAD D-AA school. So I will be excited when I see some positive results on the field. If the Buffs come out with a W against CSU and have solid outings versus ASU & FSU, I will be excited. But if they lose to CSU it is going to be another looonnnggg season. I want to see some damm WINS before I start drinking the Kool Aid

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  14. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i couldn't make it, but this is what my buddy said and i think he's a pretty accurate judge of things--and level headed. for instance, we both went to the spring game and left kind of non-plussed. he called me yesterday pretty pumped up--especially about the new guys.

15. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

I cant help but think if we had only beaten MSU last year this would all be different

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  16. JJBuff

JJBuff Club Member Club Member

Does anyone know if they are going to post any video of the scrimmage on cubuffs.com?

17. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I read in both papers that Jon Major was at the scrimmage and spent time with Cabral afterward. I'm sure he won't make a decision until he sees how the team looks during the season. But lets keep or fingers crossed!

18. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

I have been getting reports from all kinds of sources and they are all ringing pretty true. You have your few points that are different across them all but in general people were pretty impressed with the progress the team has made - and the capability of the young guys to play.

I'm just excited to see football in the headlines again and can't wait for the season to start. Hell, even at 2-10 I had a great time last year - of course, in terms of tailgating and travelling to Georgia I did have an exceptional year. :smile2: