What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sean mother****ing Lewis

I like the H-Back idea a lot. Not sure who on the roster could fill that role of decent blocker AND receiver, though.
Me either. Wilkerson could block, but I don't think I have seen him catch a pass yet. Maybe Mc Caskill? but why use him in a blocking role? You got me there.

a lead blocker in the run game worked in what, the 60s? This thread feels like huskermax.

This OL must improve. Period.
I think a 2 back base set is as silly as you're saying. But I think having a TE able to motion from slot to either Y for max protect or to H for lead blocking would help a ton. I just don't know if we have anyone who can do all that well enough to create matchup advantages.

When I think of two back in modern football I think of the plays in the link below:

Great opportunity to get Edwards in motion and force the D to respect his speed and you have another RB you can use off of the RPO if the box opens up. Obviously not every play type stuff.

I think a 2 back base set is as silly as you're saying. But I think having a TE able to motion from slot to either Y for max protect or to H for lead blocking would help a ton. I just don't know if we have anyone who can do all that well enough to create matchup advantages.
This. Fauria's just not a great blocker and I don't think Antonio and Harrison can hold their own inside the tackles. At this point if I were Lewis, I'd have ripped BOB a new one behind closed doors and be sticking my boot up the OLine's a$$ every snap this week. That and experimenting with some attached TE sets and new backs to see if anything produces a spark.

I'm noticing a disturbing trend here that you can't say anything slightly critical of this team without being "neg repped". It's as if we've all turned into Prime fans first instead of Buffs fans.

(and yes I'm fully prepared to get neg repped for pointing this out.)
The kool aid fog will take time to lift.

Good point, but if we were to hear from Lew, and I am convinced we won't, a two back set robs the O of one more WR to spread out the coverage. I suspect that is why you will continue to see one back sets, but I don't know how you scheme around an OL that can't run block, can't pass pro, with a smallish fast RB who gets dropped by the first defensive contact on run plays and blown up on pass pro. A two back set with McCaskill and another RB with size would help, but you are trading the outside speed Lew apparently covets with RB who can try to cover up the OL deficiency. Tough choice.
I’m not sure we have time to even use receivers if they are spread too wide.

Now I find that I'm curious what the asterisks represent.

poop GIF

Antonio looked great boxing out the DB on slants but they only seemed to run it a couple of times.
They did run slants/mesh/crossing type of route quite a few times, and most of the time, there were someone open, shedeur just didn't have anytime to throw the ball. That's how bad our OL is.

From the BuffZone article today. Just the simple things.

Shedeur Sanders on what the Buffs weren’t doing offensively: “Executing, knowing the blocks, knowing the reads, knowing the routes and everything like that. Just the simple things.”

Also, we have to start using the middle of the field on short routes. There were multiple replay last week from behind the offense, where there wasn't a single receiver or defender in the middle of the field.

We're using the perimeter almost exclusively and defenses know it. We ran a drag and a slant with Antonio and both picked good yardage.

Also, we have to start using the middle of the field on short routes. There were multiple replay last week from behind the offense, where there wasn't a single receiver or defender in the middle of the field.

We're using the perimeter almost exclusively and defenses know it. We ran a drag and a slant with Antonio and both picked good yardage.
Exactly! That’s the basis of a couple of my previous posts.

Which Oregon defense exploited when they decided to bull rush the guards and center while playing wide with the edges.

Which Oregon defense exploited when they decided to bull rush the guards and center while playing wide with the edges.
Maybe we need to look at wider splits to create natural gaps like Leach used to do with his offense? Such a major adjustment 1/3 into the season, but something has to be done to create throwing lanes & opportunity to step up in the pocket.

Back