1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should basketball use the baseball model for scholarships?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Mar 16, 2011.

?

Should basketball adopt the baseball system?

1. No. The system we have works.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. No. There's a better way, but that's not it.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Yes. That model would be great.

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Whatever happened to Choco-diles?

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Here's how it goes in baseball.

A prospect may enter the professional draft at one of 3 points:

1- Immediately out of high school
    2- After completing either year at a 2-year college (JUCO)
    3- After completing his junior year at a 4-year college

The advantage of this system is that the elite talents who couldn't care less about a college education (or have families in need) are able to immediately start earning a wage. The colleges benefit by knowing that the players who choose an amateur path will be in the program at least 3 years.

The main drawbacks seem to be that it pushes some talent into the JUCO ranks and that it does limit a player's ability to capitalize in the marketplace if his stock soars during his freshman or sophomore year.

Should the NCAA, NBA and NBA Players Association move things to the baseball model?

Thoughts?

2. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

I love that, and have been saying it for years. But that is coming from someone who loves college basketball, and could care less about the NBA

3. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

remove option 2 then yes

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

How do you remove option 2? Jucos only have two years. What are you going to do, tell them to wait around a year after they get their associates degree?

5. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

The real difference here is that MLB has a minor league system that ensures that even those that jump directly out of HS will not end up playing in the big leagues until they're prepared. The NBA has the D-league, but it's not the same thing. If anything, I think this would cause more marginal HS talent to jump straight to the league rather than be forced into three years of college. In essence, it would exacerbate the current problems (unprepared NBA players and less talent in the NCAA).

6. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

I've been pushing for this model for years. It's the solution to a problem that never should've been created. The other part of the baseball system is that, once drafted, a player can still choose to go to college. Must keep that caveat; if a player doesn't like his draft position, he's got recourse.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

the way i read it... i thought it said complete a single year of juco... if they have to complete both years then im all for it

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

You read it correctly. If a player goes to a JUCO, he can leave after his freshman or sophomore year.

9. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I'm in full support of that system. The elites can go to the NBA out of high school. Some very good HS players that need a little more work can go to community college for a year or two and then go to the NBA. As for the NCAA players, they have to be there for three years. I honestly don't think talent is that big of a deal for the college game since it's more of a team game. The nice thing is that with the JUCO option, the player who gets a serious injury can just move on to a four year college and get his degree playing for that four year college.

I don't recall many baseball fans having an issue with that rule so obviously it works.

10. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

well said, I agree.

11. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

Another thing, MLB has like 657 rounds, as opposed to the NBA's 2.

12. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I say remove option 1 because otherwise you'll have even more players who think they can go straight to the NBA out of high school and the league will get even worse, if that's possible.

13. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I will cast the dissenting vote. If a player is good enough they should be able to go to the NBA. Colleges know what they are getting into when they go after the top players. Kentucky knew when they signed Wall and Cousins they were likely one and done type players. And overall, how many players are we talking about that leave after the first or second year, 10 or 15.

There is really no comparison between baseball and basketball. Baseball skills are beyond just athletic ability. Basketball has nothing like trying to hit a major league curveball.

14. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

"Michael Jordan couldnt hit a curveball with an ironing board." - Bob Feller

15. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Isn't hocky pretty similar?

16. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

If you want to go try for the NBA, you should try whenever you want to...shouldn't matter if you are a hs senior, college freshman or college senior

17. Hank

Hank Well-Known Member

It's apples and oranges IMO because the talent pools in baseball and basketball are so different. To illustrate, the MLB draft is 50 rounds compared to 2 rounds in the NBA. That should tell you something. In baseball, it takes years to develop prospects. This makes it difficult to project how well a certain prospect will do by the time he arrives to the MLB, if ever. You have tons of first round flops, and just as many all-stars that were drafted in the late rounds. This typically does not happen in the NBA.

If the baseball model were implemented, many top HS basketball players would go the JUCO route. There is simply not enough talent in basketball to spread it around the NBA, junior colleges and 4-year colleges. Talent would go way down for 4-year colleges, parity would go down, and that would be bad for CU.