1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should something be done to open up the scoring in college hoops?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Feb 1, 2013.

?

Should the college game do something to favor the offenses?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Years ago, the NBA faced this issue with the "Bad Boy" Pistons and then the Knicks. The Association responded with some changes to the game, most notably outlawing the hand check. It opened up the court and the scoring.

Should college do the same?

If so, what are some of the ways they could accomplish this?

One idea would be to move the 3pt line out to NBA range. It's counter-intuitive that this would improve offense since it would make the 3pt shot harder to make, but it would have the effect of spreading the defense more. This opens up passing lanes, mid-range game, and makes it really hard to pack the lane on defense.

Another idea, and probably a better one, would be to emphasize calling fouls when the defense bumps the cutter. By not calling that, offenses can't run plays like they used to. That leaves us stuck watching motion weaves and pick 'n rolls. We don't get the back cuts and post screens like we used to see.

2. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

Don't need to **** with the game anymore ... other than getting more consistency on the "charging-blocking" calls ... which may actually help the defense. I have no problem with good defense in basketball. Of course I was a big fan of the "Bad Boys" and hated it when the NBA instituted the "Jordan Rules" ... I think it despoiled the game.

3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

4. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

The 2nd option, call more fouls. There's too much mugging going on, just look at some of these scores. But at the same time don't go overboard because nobody likes a game where the refs get flag happy. *cough* Baltimore-Denver *cough*

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Another idea that wouldn't necessarily favor defense but would make the game better:

Don't allow a foul to be committed while the clock is stopped. At the end of games, I hate it when someone grabs a jersey on an inbounds to force a 1-and-1. If a foul occurs on the defense while the clock is stopped, make it 1 shot plus the offense retains possession.

I'd also consider doing away with 1-and-1 foul shooting situations. Just make it so teams shoot 2 when you get to 7 team fouls.

6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Or ban the big 10

7. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I could go for any of those suggestions.

Prolly won't happen, tho. Too many colleges, far fewer athletes, and coaches who want to teach "their" systems and fundamentals.

8. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

no one will like this, but make the court bigger and raise the hoop. the way the game is played today is out of proportion from even 15 years ago....players too big. no room on the court. physical contact is inevitable at this scale and there is too much of it. no space.

i am not at all a fan of the 24 second shot clock...but that is in part the way the NBA has chosen to deal with that issue imo.

people want scoring....i just like basketball.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  9. 30Something

30Something Distinguished Brotha Club Member

I don't understand why more scoring would make the game better? The NFL Pro Bowl, NHL All Star, and NBA All Star games suck for this exact reason.

IMO it is TOO easy to score in basketball now, which actually reduces the importance and excitement of any single basket. I'd rather watch a game where the team has to put some effort into getting points.

Mick Ronson likes this.
  10. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Changing the shot clock is the quickest way to alter the college game.

11. nolabuff

nolabuff Club Member Club Member

I would be in favor of lowering the shot clock and pushing back the three. Anything with adding more fouls, I'm against.

12. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Adopt some international rules: wider lane, 8 second backcourt, refs don't have to touch the ball after every stoppage, longer 3 pt.(but not the ridiculous NBA 3pt.) . Add to those: change the clock to 30 sec., slightly bigger court 100' by 55' (instead of 94 x 50) with the basket and backboard moved in a bit to allow more playing and rebounding area beneath the backboard; it would give guards and small forwards more space to operate when driving without the risk of going OB, evening out the "size versus quickness" battle, which now greatly favors size.

These favor "baskertball", by opening up the game---neither "O" nor "D", even playground style hoops.

Oh yeah, and rather banning the Big 10? just ban Wisconsin, they are the absolute worst at keeping scores in the 40's, whenever they step on the court.:bang:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  13. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

No.

Since I'm always right...

/thread

14. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

I'm not a big fan of opening things up. That would just further stack the deck for the elite, highly-skilled teams. And instead of more whistles, I'd rather just let them play a little more and see fewer whistles.

15. CU827

CU827 Well-Known Member

My wife is a Wisconsin grad and loves badger basketball. It is painful to watch.

16. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

3 second violation is another option. It is hard to call though.

17. TDforTD

TDforTD Banned BANNED Club Member

I don't think there is any reason to have a 35 sec shot clock. They should also separate the men from the boys and move the 3pt line back.

They're amateur players and that's part of why college basketball is so ugly. I definitely enjoy the game, and march madness is a fun time, but everything about the NBA is better.

18. Nor Cal Buff

Nor Cal Buff Well-Known Member

If extending the 3 point line would increase scoring, don't you think some coach, somewhere would be using this strategy to score more points? I'm not buying that one.

I'd go with widening the court. No need to lengthen it, though.

19. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

Played some AAU ball in high school that adopted some international rules. The best was the bolded, if the ball went out of bounds on your defensive end and it was your ball, you could just get it and go, the ref didn't have to get it ready for play. It was awesome, led to a lot more transition basketball.

I think lowering the shot clock a little bit would probably help, but the biggest thing that needs to be done to help scoring is to figure out the god damned block/charge. It is never ever called the same. Get consistent on that call, and I think that would help scoring a lot. The other problem is the lack of quality shooting from a lot of guys who end up being on the floor, but there isn't any way to fix that besides kids working on their shots.

20. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

Sorry but you are just flat out wrong on that one, NBA is pretty much worthless in my book

21. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

IMO there are many reasons to enjoy the college game, but the level of play isn't one of them.

22. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

I can't understand the 35 second shot clock. I say knock that down to 20. That would be the game much more fun and dramatic down the stretch.

23. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

20 seconds it too short. It takes 5-10 seconds to get the ball into the front court. With a 20 second clock, half that time could be elapsed by the time they cross half court.

25 seconds sounds perfect to me. Would definitely speed up the offensive flow of the game.

24. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

What is wrong with the game as it is right now? I find the NBA boring. It would really help the teams with elite talent but reduce parity.

25. Nor Cal Buff

Nor Cal Buff Well-Known Member

If you shorten the shot clock, you're going to have to get rid of zone defense. It takes time to break down a zone and the ability to play zone is a big reason the college shot clock is longer than the NBA one.

26. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

hmmmf. Whatever tad says.