What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shurmur taking over play calling

The thing is, the offense is not the individual plays. The offense is how the different plays flow together and work off each other. When you don't use things, you aren't capitalizing on things other plays set up and you're not setting up other plays properly within the system. It's also designed to be done at pace to keep a defense on its back foot as the same personnel group runs multiple things off the same look. Little of that was done this year and now we're basically left with a playbook the guys know but not a cohesive offense. But we didn't run the system and have a cohesive offense before (and it was getting worse), so maybe this improves something that was clearly broken and needed to change.
And hopefully, at a minimum, the OLine will know which way to step and who they're supposed to block. Is that too much to fvcking ask?

I thought the defensive play calling was a bigger issue than the offensive play calling. But we’ll see how it plays out, I guess.

I was really optimistic and hopeful with the SL hire but I am also realistic and things were not working, so a change is in order. Whether it is a temporary change to see if it is just the play calling that is a problem or a lead in into a more permanent change, time will tell.

At least Prime is trying to fix something that is broken.

This right here is the silver lining to this **** sandwich. Prime ****ed up pretty bad here, but at least he's not going to be stubborn about admitting it (privately anyway. I cannot WAIT to hear him bull**** about what happened here)
this change is a lot more confidence boosting than "I'll stick my head in some offense meetings this week"

We've seen changes like this before. Sometimes they work (when the sled slinger got fired) and sometimes they don't do **** or the advantage we get from a change in tendencies is erased after a half. Lewis wasn't working great, but he's a long way from the Louisiana sled slinger as far as coaching quality goes. I'm not optimistic given the quality of opponent we've got coming to Boulder.

perhaps the goal is simply to keep 2 from getting hurt and get to the off season with the best qb we have ever had returning.

the shurmur hate cracks me up-- the broncos have been through how many coaches and coordinators and have sucked arse since peyton retired.

let's get this going.

perhaps the goal is simply to keep 2 from getting hurt and get to the off season with the best qb we have ever had returning.

the shurmur hate cracks me up-- the broncos have been through how many coaches and coordinators and have sucked arse since peyton retired.

let's get this going.
I'm a Giants fan, so I have just as much of a reason to not love Shurmur than the Broncos fans here, but shurmur certainly has far more experience in diverse offense schemes than Lewis and also has experience taking over mid season in an existing offense.

Those pooping on the decision because of their past experiences as fans of other teams are not seeing the forest for the trees.

We've seen changes like this before. Sometimes they work (when the sled slinger got fired) and sometimes they don't do **** or the advantage we get from a change in tendencies is erased after a half. Lewis wasn't working great, but he's a long way from the Louisiana sled slinger as far as coaching quality goes. I'm not optimistic given the quality of opponent we've got coming to Boulder.
Yup, this isn't going to make the OL look competent all of a sudden. I'm hopeful though that this will at least put the offense in a position to be successful considering our weak spots. There are things we can do playcalling-wise to at least put the O in the best position to be successful... even if that position is still bad. The playcalling over the last 2-3 games wasn't doing that. It was get behind the sticks on first down, then go full 12 year old playing Madden and go for the bomb every play after that. Quick passes, an actual attempt to establish the run, using TEs/RBs to help... using more max protect... etc...

And hopefully, at a minimum, the OLine will know which way to step and who they're supposed to block. Is that too much to fvcking ask?
Thank you. For the life of me, 5 OL, 1 back, the D brings 7 to the LOS and the OL do not secure their inside gaps and some DL runs in untouched through the C-G gap. Or better yet, it happens on both sides.

This Is Fine GIF

I have never been more mystified with coaching decisions than when CU failed to eat the clock by running and then went into anything but a bend but don't break mode on D in the second half of the Furd game.

At least when DII Danny wet the bed against KU and blew that huge lead I could see the reason: he was padding Corky's stats.
Then there was Shedeur checking into runs during our last couple drives of the USC game when we needed to be moving and stopping the clock. It’s been a weird year with game and clock management all around. TCU and most of the second half of USC our offense looked amazing. Other than that we’ve been in decline.

Been loving the ability to cause turnovers from the D though.

I don't think changing play callers is going to make much of a difference, unless the Oline improves and we start magically running the ball more effectively.

Over the past 3 games, I've thought that there needed to be a scheme change. Like using an extra tight end or lineman on 1st and 2nd downs, use of a fullback, more quick throws, maybe using more rollouts, or using max protect to take some deep shots.

Props to Prime for trying to change something I guess. I really like Lewis, and it sucks, but I haven't seen anything change on offense while we continue to get worse. We've done nothing to keep the other team off balance. Maybe calling more running plays will help, but it's gotta get yards.

I'd say the 2nd half vs Stanford was probably an indication of the issues a "Fast Flash" offense has. In that scheme, you're consistently aggressive and fast paced not matter the game situation. Another possible example of our OC not being able to adjust.
Kent State wasn’t exactly blowing everybody out either. At least not against P5 competition.

To be fair, Prime should have done his homework on Lewis. The Kent State offense put up numbers, but it isn’t Shedeur. It always seemed gimmicky to me. Go as fast as possible to catch the other side off guard and wear them down. It needs specific skill sets at OL, RB and QB to work. And I’m not sure those skill sets necessarily translate to the NFL.

Last edited:
Sometimes when you hire someone **** just happens and it doesn't work out. Lewis either knew, or should have known, what he was getting in Shedeur when he came over. I'm sure that Lewis was confident he could adapt his offense to fit Shedeur and what CP wanted to do. Anyone else in Lewis' postion would also be confident they could make it work. In this case, he couldn't make it work and it didn't work out. I'm sure if Lewis goes back to having a mobile QB and runs his true Kent State offense he'll probably be fine (though maybe not at the P5 level).

Back