What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shurmur taking over play calling

When he came here, it was considered a MASSIVE coup, and he was absolutely viewed as one of the best IC's in football, and people wondered why he didn't get a big time OC job.
I always found it curious that a D1 program would leave to become an assistant. But there were a lot of logical explanations.

Lewis is not anywhere near Pat Shurmur in terms of quality right now. Stop comparing the Broncos to **** the Buffaloes are doing. It's not even comparable. Rhule was a disaster at Carolina but he has NU at 5 wins.
I'm not sure what argument you're actually trying to make here.

Rhule is successful as a college coach because his style only works with college kids...and NU has a legit, very good defense.

No One! would consider Shurmur a good play caller.

You think coach Lewis is good? Look at the route designs, look at the running plays. All of his rushing designs are RPO based. Nothing under the center. Nothing based on the style of RBs we got. He doesn't call plays to our personnel. He's lucky 2 is committed to running his offense. That's really saving what this offense really is. Still, he's a talent. I like tempo. I like his deep stuff, I like him personally but nothing I saw this year is good. Our offense now has a worse grade than our defense on PFF. It's not a good offense. We just got a tremendous QB and that's it.
Lewis is an outstanding OC. This is dumb.

Lewis simply HAS to have certain guys with certain talents for his offense to work, and he doesn't seem interested in modifying his system.

Lewis is an outstanding OC. This is dumb.

Lewis simply HAS to have certain guys with certain talents for his offense to work, and he doesn't seem interested in modifying his system.
I don’t understand why Lewis is being demoted. Our problem is on defense, isn’t it??

Sad John Cena GIF

That makes sense. Although such a move could mean some recruits bolt with the departure of Lewis, I think having Lewis as OC was seen positively by recruits. Not up in arms, but after having such poor results on offense for so long and seeing what scoring actually looks like, I would prefer to see BOB replaced. Give Shurmur a Co-OC title and have him run the lineman as well, that should suffice his ego. But, it's done, let's roll the dice and see what we have tomorrow
I'll think they'll be more than ok when Leftwich is hired as our next OC

When he came here, it was considered a MASSIVE coup, and he was absolutely viewed as one of the best IC's in football, and people wondered why he didn't get a big time OC job.
Agreed. It was viewed as a home run. However, I don’t think most people really understood what his offense is/was and what kind of QB Shedeur is/was.

An offense that suits RG3 is not going to work with a Tom Brady apprentice running it.

If we can run the ball tomorrow night, that tells us everything
They are saying that all the schemes will be the same
Sounds like they made this decision last Sunday and have quietly been working on Shurmurs game planning
I hope we see real running plays
I bet Wilkerson could be a FB
Dude, no one uses a FB in the NFL or college. There's like...3 fullbacks in the NFL.

Agreed. It was viewed as a home run. However, I don’t think most people really understood what his offense is/was and what kind of QB Shedeur is/was.

An offense that suits RG3 is not going to work with a Tom Brady apprentice running it.
I feel like SS needs to re-evaluate his "Tom Brady apprentice" stuff. SS is mobile and SHOULD look to take advantage of that, even being ok with called QB runs.

I feel like SS needs to re-evaluate his "Tom Brady apprentice" stuff. SS is mobile and SHOULD look to take advantage of that, even being ok with called QB runs.
He can run and he has plenty this year, but he’s not really mobile by NFL standards. He’s no more mobile than Mahomes and nobody was calling for him to run the read option in college.

College football people want him to run a college offense, but he’s an NFL QB who can and should be operating an NFL offense.

Dude, no one uses a FB in the NFL or college. There's like...3 fullbacks in the NFL.
Dude
Variety and creativity my guy
If a lead blocker helps us run
Howard Griffith was god
Not saying a lot, but say 5 plays with lead blocker would be a fun curve ball
If not, so be it

This, from "Fan Nation", does not make things clearer for me. Is the idea that SL still calls the plays, but Shurmur has veto power?

"Buffs offensive coordinator Sean Lewis will reportedly still be the signal caller on the sidelines but the plays will be run through Shurmur. The former NFL head coach was hired by Deion Sanders prior to the season as an analyst. He slides over as co-offensive coordinator with Lewis, who has guided Shedeur and the offense to some of the best marks over the past twenty years with an average of 408.6 yards per game."

SL's run rate at Kent State was @ 60%. Was he unhappy about the lack of running here?

FWIW: Rooney says this is likely the tip of the iceberg; that there is more tension and division out there

Last edited:
I suggested two back sets or an H Back concept a few weeks ago. I have no idea why that would not at least be tried. And as others have observed repeatedly, DE struggles in pass pro. He is a dynamic player but blocking a 250# DE is not his forte.
You can’t use DE to mean two different things in one post, much less in consecutive sentences.

Wow I ****ING KNEW IT

Biggest positive: Prime wants to win and will do whatever he wants to do it

Is Shurmur perfect? No. Will we run the ball more and look more balanced by EOY? Likely yes.

I’m happy we have a coach that’ll do what’s necessary to shake things up after years of stale losing
Does it mean he will use McCaskill to run said ball?

well, if nothing else, folks are going to keep tuning in.

this **** is MUST SEE TV.

you don't make it to the level that shurmur made it without being a really ****ing good coach. i had wondered before the season if these high powered analysts were plan b coaches for us, unlike saban who uses analysts almost like a rehab program for good coaches who need to get their next gig.

**** is so real in Boulder right now.

i can't wait for tomorrow.
I mean, maybe the change is just enough to throw off OSU so they can’t just tee off on SS and it can get us a win.

You think coach Lewis is good? Look at the route designs, look at the running plays. All of his rushing designs are RPO based. Nothing under the center. Nothing based on the style of RBs we got. He doesn't call plays to our personnel. He's lucky 2 is committed to running his offense. That's really saving what this offense really is. Still, he's a talent. I like tempo. I like his deep stuff, I like him personally but nothing I saw this year is good. Our offense now has a worse grade than our defense on PFF. It's not a good offense. We just got a tremendous QB and that's it.
Arkansas fans want him bad.

I'm a Giants fan, so I have just as much of a reason to not love Shurmur than the Broncos fans here, but shurmur certainly has far more experience in diverse offense schemes than Lewis and also has experience taking over mid season in an existing offense.

Those pooping on the decision because of their past experiences as fans of other teams are not seeing the forest for the trees.
Someone already mentioned Matt Rhule. How about Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier in the NFL? Just sayin’, maybe there’s a chance.

This, from "Fan Nation", does not make things clearer for me. Is the idea that SL still calls the plays, but Shurmur has veto power?

"Buffs offensive coordinator Sean Lewis will reportedly still be the signal caller on the sidelines but the plays will be run through Shurmur. The former NFL head coach was hired by Deion Sanders prior to the season as an analyst. He slides over as co-offensive coordinator with Lewis, who has guided Shedeur and the offense to some of the best marks over the past twenty years with an average of 408.6 yards per game."

SL's run rate at Kent State was @ 60%. Was he unhappy about the lack of running here?

FWIW: Rooney says this is likely the tip of the iceberg; that there is more tension and division out there
No.

Shurmur will be calling the plays from the booth, Lewis will be on the sideline doing the signs (signals) in to SS. He has the same job our backup QB’s have had in the past signaling plays in

So, what the hell is this about?
Lewis being groomed to take over for Prime?

The article says Prime is loving it here so him stepping down is nothing imminent.
Stopped reading as soon as I saw “according to Jake Shapiro”. Guy is the quintessential fart sniffing sports radio personality that exists only to stir ****. **** Shapalicious. He’s worse than Dmac and that’s saying something.

Back