What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

Thank you for another dry, banal, black and white response once again Mr. arm chair QB.

Explain to me how Mike Bohn was a driving force to get CU in the Pac-12. Put another way, explain to me how he did something so dramatically different than anyone would have done in the same job at the same time.

(IOW, congrats to Mike Bohn for not ****ing up the Pac-12 invite)

Sorry you are pushing forward a false narrative on the Champions Center and are unwilling to admit you were wrong. RG took over a toxic fundraising environment (Bohn had basically tied himself to Solich and no one else). In the span of one year, RG had raised enough money for regents to greenlight the project in mid-2014 and has hit fundraising benchmarks at every step of the way. He deserves the lion's share of the credit for the Champions Center being built. Period.

Sorry that is too black and white for you.

Explain to me how Mike Bohn was a driving force to get CU in the Pac-12. Put another way, explain to me how he did something so dramatically different than anyone would have done in the same job at the same time.

Sorry you are pushing forward a false narrative on the Champions Center and are unwilling to admit you were wrong. RG took over a toxic fundraising environment (Bohn had basically tied himself to Solich and no one else). In the span of one year, RG had raised enough money for regents to greenlight the project in mid-2014 and has hit fundraising benchmarks at every step of the way. He deserves the lion's share of the credit for the Champions Center being built. Period.

iirc, Bohn actually took it on the chin much worse than was probably necessary with the media revenue loss and penalties.

Wilner's newsletter today makes me feel a lot better about the Friday championship game. We've got to get it out of San Francisco, though.

Friday Night Lights (and eyeballs)

The Hotline's crack research staff should have tracked how often the question has been raised this week, in advance of the Pac-12 Football Championship Game:
Who wins? Nah.
Why Friday? Ding-ding-ding.
Friday at 5 p.m. at Levi's Stadium is clearly a poor combination of time and place for fans (local, or coming from out of town). Some believe it makes the conference look second-rate because the other Power Five championships are on Saturday.
Bottom line: It’s smart business for the folks paying the bills.
Slotting the Pac-12 game on Friday night makes loads of sense for the network partners because it’s a competition-free window and alleviates the glut of games on Saturday.
The eyeball evidence favors Friday over Saturday … and FOX over ESPN.
(Viewership figures taken from SportsMediaWatch; much of this data appeared on the Hotline last year.)
2012: Stanford 27, UCLA 24
Network: FOX
Day: Friday
TV audience: 3.0 rating/4.9 million homes
2013: Stanford 38, Arizona State 14
Network: ESPN
Day: Saturday
TV audience: 0.9 rating/1.45 million homes
2014: Oregon 51, Arizona 13
TV audience: 3.7 rating/6 million homes
2015: Stanford 41, USC 22
TV audience: 1.6 rating/2.6 million homes
2016: Washington 41, Colorado 10
TV audience: 3.4 rating/5.7 million homes
2017: USC 31, Stanford 28
TV audience: 2.3 rating/3.7 million homes
Clearly, ESPN noticed how much better the Friday games performed and switched off its Saturday slot for the 2017 broadcast. That game didn't draw as well as the FOX versions but nonetheless out-drew the Saturday broadcasts on ESPN in 2013 and 2015.
Overall:
• Four Friday games have averaged 5.1 million homes.
• Two Saturday games have averaged 2.0 million homes.
The Pac-12 long ago handed full control of its premium football programming to Fox and ESPN in a pure-and-simple, campus-directed cash grab. Playing the championship game on Friday just makes more sense for the networks doling out that cash. — Jon Wilner

Wilner's newsletter today makes me feel a lot better about the Friday championship game. We've got to get it out of San Francisco, though.

Friday Night Lights (and eyeballs)

The Hotline's crack research staff should have tracked how often the question has been raised this week, in advance of the Pac-12 Football Championship Game:
Who wins? Nah.
Why Friday? Ding-ding-ding.
Friday at 5 p.m. at Levi's Stadium is clearly a poor combination of time and place for fans (local, or coming from out of town). Some believe it makes the conference look second-rate because the other Power Five championships are on Saturday.
Bottom line: It’s smart business for the folks paying the bills.
Slotting the Pac-12 game on Friday night makes loads of sense for the network partners because it’s a competition-free window and alleviates the glut of games on Saturday.
The eyeball evidence favors Friday over Saturday … and FOX over ESPN.
(Viewership figures taken from SportsMediaWatch; much of this data appeared on the Hotline last year.)
2012: Stanford 27, UCLA 24
TV audience: 3.0 rating/4.9 million homes
2013: Stanford 38, Arizona State 14
TV audience: 0.9 rating/1.45 million homes
2014: Oregon 51, Arizona 13
TV audience: 3.7 rating/6 million homes
2015: Stanford 41, USC 22
TV audience: 1.6 rating/2.6 million homes
2016: Washington 41, Colorado 10
TV audience: 3.4 rating/5.7 million homes
2017: USC 31, Stanford 28
TV audience: 2.3 rating/3.7 million homes
Clearly, ESPN noticed how much better the Friday games performed and switched off its Saturday slot for the 2017 broadcast. That game didn't draw as well as the FOX versions but nonetheless out-drew the Saturday broadcasts on ESPN in 2013 and 2015.
Overall:
• Four Friday games have averaged 5.1 million homes.
• Two Saturday games have averaged 2.0 million homes.
The Pac-12 long ago handed full control of its premium football programming to Fox and ESPN in a pure-and-simple, campus-directed cash grab. Playing the championship game on Friday just makes more sense for the networks doling out that cash. — Jon Wilner
Once the Raider's palace is built in Las Vegas, the Pac-12 better move the game there.

1. My original point was that without Larry Scott and Mike Bohn the thing that ENABLED the champions center to happen wouldn’t have occurred when it did because we’d probably still be in the BigXII. Bohn could have advised against the move, no? Someone important at OU and UT did.

2. I acknowledged in a follow up post that Bohn was indeed fired for being a poor manager and not capitalizing on the enthusiasm from a conference change or managing a major project.

3. Reading comprehension and hot takes?

4. You missed your calling as rewriter of Soviet history and propaganda. There is no middle ground with you. People are either the small percentange of near perfect or they are total clueless failures as you suggest Mike Bohn is. Black. And white.

1. My original point was that without Larry Scott and Mike Bohn the thing that ENABLED the champions center to happen wouldn’t have occurred when it did because we’d probably still be in the BigXII. Bohn could have advised against the move, no? Someone important at OU and UT did.

2. I acknowledged in a follow up post that Bohn was indeed fired for being a poor manager and not capitalizing on the enthusiasm from a conference change or managing a major project.

3. Reading comprehension and hot takes?

4. You missed your calling as rewriter of Soviet history and propaganda. There is no middle ground with you. People are either the small percentange of near perfect or they are total clueless failures as you suggest Mike Bohn is. Black. And white.

Really? The best you can come up with is Mike Bohn didn't turn down the Pac-12? Compelling argument.

Mike Bohn was a nice guy who made some poor decisions and did some okay things in the face of weak administrative support. He is not equipped to be a P5 AD. Not sure why anyone would disagree with that assertion or consider it particularly controversial. He is not missed and did not leave RG a particularly healthy situation.

And again, as it pertains to the Champions Center, it is indeed mostly black and white. RG has rightfully earned the credit there.

I may have strong opinions, but you seem to be acting like the absence of opinion is somehow highly preferable.

Nobody answered my serious question, dammit! Is it really up to the Athletic Director to navigate switching conferences?

No. Regents have to vote for that and in CU's case, the state legislature had to make it happen so CU could meet some P12 requirements.

The only good thing Bohn did was to do this stealthily.

And the Pac-10 had to vote Yes as having eight votes to proceed.

No. Regents have to vote for that and in CU's case, the state legislature had to make it happen so CU could meet some P12 requirements.

The only good thing Bohn did was to do this stealthily.

And the Pac-10 had to vote Yes as having eight votes to proceed.
So if that's the case, what was Bohn actually responsible for with the move to the P12?

So if that's the case, what was Bohn actually responsible for with the move to the P12?
He did a lot of coordinating and kept things quiet - you know, like a good secretary administrative assistant should.

Once the Raider's palace is built in Las Vegas, the Pac-12 better move the game there.

No freaking doubt!
Friday night 6:00pm Mountain kickoff would be a spectacle. Good for everyone and we should get a good initial 3-5 year contract to take it there.
Would love to see the Buffs get there if it happens

The P12 has filed a copyright claim to have the video removed from YouTube. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

This conference is being run by completely tone deaf idiots who live in the stone age. If you don't get that a request to have stuff pulled from the internet is a bad, bad look in 2018 and you're in just about any case better off just taking the L and moving on you haven't been paying attention. Especially as it's not like this was copyrighted stuff the conference is using on P12N or something, it was an internal video from Scott to the conference employees.

The P12 has filed a copyright claim to have the video removed from YouTube. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

This conference is being run by completely tone deaf idiots who live in the stone age. If you don't get that a request to have stuff pulled from the internet is a bad, bad look in 2018 and you're in just about any case better off just taking the L and moving on you haven't been paying attention. Especially as it's not like this was copyrighted stuff the conference is using on P12N or something, it was an internal video from Scott to the conference employees.
Is there anywhere else you can hear/see the audio/video?

Holy ****, what a douche. An announcement to his employees of more money and job security for himself. Reminds me of this scene from Horrible Bosses.

I love the glee and how he can barely hide his excitement.

BTW, what's really interesting is that Vimeo video has been up for more than a year and was uploaded by someone who was working for the conference at the time according to his LinkedIn.

Sorry if the intent of this thread is not about Mike Bohn. Bohn wasn't the greatest, but I also don't denigrate him too much. He accomplished some good things at CU and did pretty decent job yet didn't have that higher gear of accomplishment that RG has shown. But compared to ADs like perhaps Dick Tharp, Bohn was solid.
I did find this mention in an article today which is news to me....
upload_2018-11-29_8-56-4.png

Back