1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So if we don't have enough money this year....

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by dabuffffs, Nov 26, 2009.

1. dabuffffs

dabuffffs New Member

...and next year we suck yet again, how will we be able to buyout Hawkins then? Assuming the buyout goes to say $2 million, the economic loss of 5-10 thousand less fans should be on the brink of putting the athletic program in the negative. At that point we would have even less money to buyout Hawkins.

2. dcbuffman

dcbuffman Member

I don't think we'll suck next year. There will be lots of talent and experience at most positions. Less drama with the qb situation resolved.... A humbled Hawk finally focusing on fixing those little things....

But, if we do suck, I can't imagine Hawk could cheat the gallows again. The criticism will be deafening if the Buffs get off to a bad start, and the Hawk fans in the administration won't have any way to justify their continued support. The buy-out money will be found one way or another.

I'm hoping the Hawk can right the ship. As a Pitt grad, I suffered through some bad seasons with Dave Wannstedt at the helm. Now, he's a freakin' genius.... Go figure....

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  3. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

The criticism was already deafening this year. CU admin. doesn't care. At all.

4. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Pressure can be applied through the board of regents.

5. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

There is one school of thought that if Hawkins is extended, he may have a new contract in which there are performance standards that must be met, and a reduced buyout if they aren't.

Just speculation, mind you.

Hawkins gets the fifth year, most likely.
    CU saves $1 million (or more) if he leaves at the end of 2010.
    If Hawkins somehow patches the Titanic and rights the ship, it's a strange win/win for everyone (except the handful of assistants that MUST go to make this happen.) There are some truly talented players who will be eligible next year -- you can't predict prefectly when some combination of players is going to "click" and start winning. All the stats in the world can't tell anyone for sure who will be a top team from one year to the next.
    If it appears that Hawkins is not righting the ship by the 2nd or 3rd game, you can bet that CU will be actively shopping for a new HC.

My take. My rationalization for why this will have to be palatable. Tabasco sauce may help you swallow it more easily.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I don't believe it's the money. Fear of the public perception fallout for spending that money may be an issue.

7. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

1. The money was there.

2. This team is lucky to win 3 games again with Hawkins as coach.

8. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

The money WAS there... and Bohn made the call.

9. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

And then those above Bohn took his phone away.

10. CUinDC

CUinDC Member

Is anyone else concerned that we won't completely suck next year? You know, assuming things don't actually "pop" and we suddenly become good. We had a couple of good recruiting classes that are becoming experienced, but not as much talent behind them (which could be depleted further with anymore transfers), and I can't imagine Hawk's recruiting getting better while working as at least a semi-lame duck. If we are somewhere in the 6-6 range next year, that allows the administration to say: "look, things are going in the right direction." But I'm worried that will just lead to another 2-10 season after most of our talent leaves, and the next coach will have nothing to work with. At least bringing in someone now would have allowed them to get off to a good start and hopefully keep it rolling from there.

Don't get me wrong, I hope things work out, I'm just having a more and more difficult time finding reasons for optimism.

11. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

Yes. I've heard this over and over again from people - boosters and former players that I've met. Former players have stated that BIG time boosters they know have told them that Hawk will be there next year. That's what they've been told, but the money has been available.

Hawk will be our coach - might as well try to support the team as best we can. If we don't win next year...our recruiting will suck so bad. Bohn is also on the clock.

12. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

I think that's probably the least of our worries next year. Considering the schedule and our coaching talent, we'll be lucky to win 4.

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I mentioned this a couple months ago when there was a lot of debate about whether Hawkins should be back or not. The scenario you describe is my worst fear. 6-6 in year five will be looked upon by the administration as a step in the right direction. Basically, Hawkins would be rewarded for being so bad his first four years that pure mediocrity would be success. It is a very legitimate concern IMO.

Do I think we are going to win six games? No. Do I think six games is out of the realm of possibility? No.

14. AlferdJasper

I believe that 2010 will be much better than 2009.
    Regardless of who is at the helm.

Pass the koolaid, but I believe it.

15. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I want to see what can happen with Hansen at QB from day 1, throwing to guys like Simas and Simmons from day 1. The problem is, I want to see that without losing players to transfer and with a competent coaching staff. As the man said, I guess you can't always get what you want... :sad1:

16. AlferdJasper

and Toney Clemons takes the field.