1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what does beating Cal mean to the Buffs

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by MtnBuff, Nov 16, 2013.

1. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

We are coming off a series of games in which we not only lost but lost big so no illusions here. Our only saving grace was a game against an FCS opponent that was paid to come in here and lose.

Today's win was against a horrendously bad team that while it had more speed and overall talent than we do has only one win this year, that against an FCS school in a game that was much more competitive than Cal fans expected or wanted.

So this certainly isn't a win against a conference leader or top 25 team but it is significant breaking a 14 game conference losing streak. What does it all mean.

It does mean that we aren't the worst team in our league this year, a huge step up from last year when we were the worst team in any BCS conference.

We also can point to it being our 4th win this season, one ahead of the very common pre-season prediction of 3 (helped by trading Fresno for Charlston Southern but it's still a win.) Considering that our last coach won 4 games in two years this is a milestone.

I think it has some other implications for us as well. It gives the kids a reward for not quiting and for continuing to work hard, by this time last year we were done no matter who we had played. I can see it being easier for the coaching staff to keep the attention of the players the next couple weeks and even in the off-season with the kids having felt the satisfaction of a league win.

It also gives the coaches something more to sell in recruiting. It shows progress that can help convince kids that better days are in CU's future. It also means that when kids visit the current players have more reason to share optimism and a belief in the team and the staff.

The fans who go to the games are also big winners. We are definately not at a point where fans can believe that any time they go to a game they have a chance to see a win but it helps them to think that buying tickets means they will see some wins unlike last year.

We are also now tied in the standings with Utah. Utah's wins have been more impressive than ours but now we can at least reasonably hope for not just one but a second conference win which would pull us out of the basement in our division as well.

For almost any other team this win wouldn't have meant that much but for where we have been and still are this win was huge.

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

It won't mean much if we don't build off of it.

3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

The biggest is that, despite the blowouts they've suffered, the team still believes they can win every game. After last weeks loss that could have easily been lost, but they rallied this week and blew out a team in a game that we should have won. Interested to see if or how it carries over into next week and then against Utah. Senior day against USC with a team believing and the emotion of wanting to get a win for the seniors and PRich (better believe HCMM is gonna be really fired up for this one)...anything can happen.

Disclaimer: I do not think we beat USC next week but I think we play a competitive game and take another step forward.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It eliminates a bad losing streak in the conference at home.

It gives the team a lot to play for against USC - a huge recruiting weekend for us.

It builds a lot of confidence in the young guys - many of whom are looking pretty good.

It completes one hell of a day for CU athletics.

5. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Keeps dreams alive for at least another week.

6. NYbuffDIEHARD

NYbuffDIEHARD Active Member

U$C just won their Super Bowl. There will undoubtedly be a let down next week playing us. Whereas that game to us is absolutely huge. Coming off a win, at home, slimmest of slim bowl hopes alive. I think we come out and make this a very good game. Mac is a real leader and he will have the Buffs prepared and ready. This win was enormous for us today. On so many levels. Bring on Troy. Go Buffs.

7. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

It means we're not winless in conference play.

8. bigbang2

bigbang2 Typical, brain knowledge or the ability to have a

Not the worst team in the conference.

9. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

So we've got that going for us, which is nice!

10. Buffnik

That's a pretty big deal. We've got a huge image problem to overcome. Would be huge to win at Utah to close the year and avoid finishing last in the South, too.

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Getting a road win to close out the season would make today's win much bigger IMO. Glad to have the conference streak snapped, now let's snap the road streak.

12. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

It should validate to the players that the coaches have a plan and that if they follow the plan, they can be successful. This win was especially important for the defense.

13. Buffnik

Can't be stressed enough. They've been taking a lot of heat (deservedly), but today they showed a lot by winning the day against a very prolific offense. Should be a nice confidence builder for them.

14. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

If nothing else, it means that CU has still never finished last in its conference.

I hope it means more, such as winning an extra recruiting battle or two. I LOVE how confident Sefo looks right now; I think his development just continues to trend upward. It probably has more of an effect to Cal, who must decide over the next several weeks if they fire Dykes or not (they should, but can they afford to).

I also think it means that we win one of our last two games, because we know we can.

PS - The crowd sucked, and the students need to be called out.

15. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

It means at least having a 4 win season to sell after the predecessor had a 1 win season. I just don't know who exactly we're even trying to "sell" it to anymore on the recruiting trail, which is worrying.

16. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

It means we're technically still alive for a bowl game. It means Cal is really bad. It means this team doesn't give up. It means we've gone from 1 to 4 and maybe 5 wins in one year. It means if we make a bowl game, Mac should be PAC 12 coach of the year. It shows we are a decent team, just a pretty bad PAC12 team. It reaffirms my faith in Mac.

17. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

It means we're moving in the right direction. That's all. We won a game we should win and that's progress.

18. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Agreed. Still outclassed in most games, but we're winning the one we should win. This team is much better than last year.

19. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Agree.

20. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

First conference win for MacIntyre.
    First home win against a conference foe since Arizona in 2011.
    First victory over any California school in a decade.

21. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Isn't that insane? How many years ago was it that Stanford was just terrible and beating USC was THEIR super bowl.

22. DavisBuff

DavisBuff Club Member Club Member

It was a huge win cuz it keeps us moving in the right direction. Imagine how many steps back it would have been if we had lost this game. It was great to see the young guys playing major roles gillam, awuzie, Thompson and kafavolu. They will keep getting better.

23. Quattro

USC storming the field after beating Stanford? USC snapping a four game skid against Stanford?

Whaa?

24. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Yeah, this was two first year coaches in a game both badly needed. Cal obviously hasn't been through the hell we've been through in recent years, but where on earth do you go from here if you're Sonny Dykes? No one expected much from Cal, but for that team to be 1-11 (0-9) with no FBS wins is just a complete disaster. I doubt Dykes ever recovers from this season at Cal. Their fans have already overwhelmingly turned on him.

25. Quattro

Hopefully Enwere sees the writing on the wall before NSD. Doubt it though...

26. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

It means CU won the games they were supposed to this season. A positive step forward for a change.

27. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

it was a good win. it will be viewed as a referendum out here, to some extent, about dykes v. mm. remember that while we were dancing with the d-bag who went to Tennessee, cal could have easily selected mm rather than dykes. there are a ton of journalists out here who think they should have done just that. and, in coaching circles, mm has done more with less while dykes has now underperformed. this is good for us. it should help recruiting a bit. getting a conference win is good. I don't think CU can beat usc, but I will hope for the miracle. CU looked like the better team and cal has WAY, WAY more p12 caliber athletes. this gives me some hope.

28. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i agree.

29. seattlebuff

seattlebuff Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that Cal has been absolutely decimated by injuries on defense. Like 8-9 starters are either out or missed significant time. They still have more talent and way more speed than us. Bigelow is better than any RB we have (love Adkins though.)

This game was big because it showed continued improvement on the OL. We've run the ball pretty well the past few weeks. We have all of the people involved in the run game back next year. Sefo, when given time, looks like a great game manager and a guy who will win more games than he loses for us. Haven't been able to say that for awhile at QB. As bad as it's been at times this year, we're probably about as far along as could reasonably be expected in year one with MM.

All that said, losing PRich is gonna be a dagger.

30. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

The way CU won was very impressive. I was expecting a very close, high scoring game and especially on the defensive side of the ball, I felt CU dominated.

It's nice to beat a California Pac-12 school in football; we were 0-8 going into this game, since joining the Conference.

Would love to get that 5th win, as that would be a great accomplishment in Mac's first year