1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spencer Dinwiddie or Marcus Smart - better stat sheet Saturday?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Dec 19, 2013.

?

Stat sheet battle on Saturday

1. Smart by 11+

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. Smart by 6-10

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Smart by 1-5

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Even

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Mayor by 1-5

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. Mayor by 6-10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mayor by 11+

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

SmartSeason Avg
    Season High
    Season Low
    Points18.0398
    Rebounds4.883
    Assists3.853
    Steals3.090
    TOTAL29.6

DinwiddieSeason Avg
    Season High
    Season Low
    Points15.5287
    Rebounds3.670
    Assists4.071
    Steals1.560
    TOTAL24.6

Adding up Points, Rebounds, Assists and Steals, Smart averages a +5 to Spencer per game on the stat sheet.

Smart's best numbers are a +13 to Spencer's best and Smart's worst numbers are a +6 to Spencer's worst.

What do you think will happen on Saturday?

2. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Smart is going to give Spencer fits.

3. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

I voted Smart +6-10. He'll have better stats, but hopefully Spencer will help the Buffs be +1 in the big stat.

4. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

I'm betting that the Mayor has a slightly better supporting cast around him, which evens things out. [\homer]

5. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Don't let Forte or whatever his name is get off, he can drop 30 plus on any given night. They have athletic big men, shot blockers, good around the basket. Strength I'd give to Smart. Better bball player, we'll see game time.

6. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

Im going to call it even - the mayor will hold his own against smart.

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Mayor won't be guarding smart, he will be keeping us going against that halfcourt. Here's the weird thing: I think we need Mayor's points to be under 15 to win this game. He only takes over games when our half court struggles.

8. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Snow is probably right, I still wanna see it. I think smart is a better athlete, Mayor can be as good as he wants.

9. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Good points, although I am not sure we can have Spencer waiting to get a feel for 25 minutes of play whether or not he should take over the last 15. I'd like to see him come out and be more aggressive from the get go.

10. Buffnik

Ideally, I'd like to see him have 5 assists in the first 5 minutes dishing to Scott and 3pt shooters.

We know Mayor can get his. But we're not going to win if he's having to score 25+, imo.

11. CVilleBuff

I agree, I am definitely not advocating Spence going full-on crazy. XJ and Scott are my keys. There are two types of low scoring Spencer: assist Spencer and invisible Spencer. I am hoping to see some
    aggressiveness and initiative early. Nothing crazy, I guess I feel we need a little bigger game out of him than some. Doesn't have to be 25 by any means, though.

12. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

Gimme dat Spencer by 11+

13. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I would agree, unless we have a small lead in the last few minutes and Mayor just keeps taking it to the rack, adding 7-10 pts off of free throws at the end.

By the way, can I emphasize enough how important free throws will be in this game? We need to shoot > 70%.

14. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

On Pac-12 Weekly Boyle stated that he normally doesn't have Spencer guard a player like Smart in the first half, to keep Dinwiddie out of foul trouble, but Saturday he will have Spencer guarding Smart from the first tip.

15. jwhite17

jwhite17 Member

That's dangerous because Spencer got in foul trouble early in the Kansas game, and Smart is really good at drawing fouls.

Smart isn't that great of outside shooter, so if Spencer can stay out of foul trouble and prevent Smart from driving the lane and going to the line, I like this matchup a lot. Not easy to do that though.

Also, if Din can get Smart into foul trouble early, I like our chances a lot more. Smart averages 2.45 fouls/game, so he definitely is prone to fouls, and Dinwiddie is really talented at drawing fouls.

I hope Tad mixes it up because we need to send wave and wave of energetic players at Smart to keep him out of his flow.

Smart is a tough, but it can be done. Actually, this matchup is fairly even with a slight edge to Smart, so it is up to Dinwiddie to come up big and stop him.

16. Zachsquatch

Zachsquatch Active Member

Oh man that is so key. Going for the early bold move, high risk, high return.

Wouldn't mind Spencer also guarding this Forte character. I'll be ok with a loss as long as it doesn't come from us letting an opponent's shooter run loose.

17. Buffnik

I'm surprised that Tad would reveal any game plan.

He's either sandbagging or he's starting to take & instill the attitude that the Buffs are going to do what the Buffs do.

18. CVilleBuff

Yep. We are not winning this with a 50% night from the charity stripe. It would be a damn shame to lose this because of lack of focus on free throws. It is not difficult to be a 70% ft shooter. Not exactly asking the impossible. Many JV teams shoot 70% and don't end practice until the team combines to shoot a certain percentage. Just get it done at the stripe.

I personally like starting Spencer on Smart. It sets the tone. Smart is going to get his but we aren't going to be intimidated. We've got to have Spencer play smart and not pick up two quick fouls. Put some textbook Tad D on Smart and try to slow him down a little. We'll go at Smart in waves, I'm sure. Would starting XJ on Smart make people feel better? I'd say that runs even more risk of a couple quick fouls. I think we need XJ to play a big role in this game for us. We can't afford to have him bogged down with foul trouble, either.

We need to watch out for Phil Forte. Someone needs to stick to him like glue. Don't want to get so caught up with Smart and Brown that Forte becomes "that guy" going insane from 3.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  19. Yung Buffalo

Yung Buffalo Club Member Club Member

Would it be right to assume Smart will be guarding The Mayor most of the game? If so it's likely that we could see Smart in some foul trouble correct?

That would be huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

Where are the refs from?