1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spring game

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sackman, Apr 1, 2016.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

anybody know if we will get an actual game this year or another quasi-practice.
    If we get a game, I'd like to go. If it's going to be like last year, where they ran a few drills and had an abbreviated scrimmage, I'll avoid it.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Haven't heard about the format other than "live scrimmage" which can mean a lot of different things. Last year, HCMM toned it down due to injury situations iirc.

One thing that I think we'll see announced soon on the board is that one of the food vendors is going to host something for the online communities. Stay tuned.

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Nik talked me into attending. Will probably bring the two year old, let her run around, then take off.

Are the lots generally open for the Spring Game?

4. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

If nothing else, I can go up and have some beers in Boulder for the day.

5. Buffnik

Some are. Last time I remember you coming, we had parking and ended up hanging out in the lot on Colorado & Regents in front of the parking garage. I'm planning on targeting that lot again.

6. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

7. sackman

I might be crucified for saying this, but I'm going to be pretty pissed off if I go up there only to see them going through a bunch of Oklahoma drills.

If you're going to have a spring game, have a game. For Chrissakes, if you really need to run one or two more sets of drills, do it some other time.

TDbuff and Duff Man like this.
  8. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

How do the big programs do their Spring Game? You know, the ones that attract 60-80k fans...

TDforTD likes this.
  9. sackman

They have an actual game. In Lincoln, they count it as a win on their record.

10. TSchekler

Then CU should do the same. Let's stop reinventing the wheel in Boulder.

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

A lot of it goes back to larger discussions about the AD's public interactions as it pertains to football. Let's face it, most of it IS pretty boring. If they do not have an actual game this year, that would seem to fit right in with that trend.

TDforTD likes this.
  12. sackman

The spring game has never been a big deal at CU. it's always been up to the coaches to decide how they want to run it. It's never been about the fans, which is the problem. Why have a spring game at all if it's not to put on a little show for the fans? The folks that go to the Spring game are the die hards. The folks you want to thank for sticking with you through some awful times. Don't give them a glorified practice to look at.

Mac used to run a real game. The losers had to serve the winners steak dinner. Captains would choose the teams. It was black team vs white team. Is that so hard?

The Ogre and TDforTD like this.
  13. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I'm going + family. Annual ritual at this point.

Yellow Shirt and TDforTD like this.
  14. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Would love for the AD to make the spring game a big event. Host fan competitions for grilling/tailgating maybe even home brewing.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  15. onealcd

It is atleast on addmitted students day this year?

16. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Bohn did some good work trying to make it a big event when Hawk was here, and he even had a little success. There were some games, like when the ran new Ralphie and she broke free. He also used to have lots of camps and activities for families and little kids. It was a good time.

17. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Give me a beer fest at the spring game with local breweries and I bet you that thing gets north of 25k attendees.

FlatironsBuff and patebuff like this.
  18. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

This is what Bohn was really good at.

19. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I went last year, or was it year before last, with FIB. Not able to make it this year, baseball schedule conflicts. I would like to see Montez live, but I'll have to settle for P12's coverage.

20. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

It will be more like last year is my guess. There was a rumor last night that they may have just practiced in helmets due to simply having zero linebackers. The injured ones are only cleared to play with only helmets. Speaking of linebackers look out for Trent Headley. Heard he is having a great spring. Could be the Ryan Moeller part two.

patebuff likes this.
  21. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Millennial Liason Club Member

Yeah I'm pretty much positive it'll be just like last year, which is a shame but ask yourself this: would you really want one of the best players on the team to miss the season because of something that happened at the spring game? I'm not saying that having a glorified scrimmage eliminates the risk of injury entirely, but it reduces it compared to having a real game.

From a purely selfish point of view I would rather they do a real game (maybe even at night) like they did during the Hawkins era. 15,000 people went when they did that. We'll be lucky to get 5K this year. Last year was 4K.

22. Buffnik

Great news on Headley. A walk-on rising up (a la Jeff Smart) would do so much to improve the ILB corp.

23. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

#sackygate?

24. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I guess the issue is why should anyone outside of the diehards give a **** about CU football right now? There is nothing around the program to even draw casual interest. At some point, switch it up a little bit and stop being so ****ing boring. And no, "just win" is not a valid solution.

TDbuff likes this.
  25. TSchekler

As far as the injuries go, you can't shy away from things in an effort to avoid injury. We just saw Sanchez go down with a torn ACL in a routine practice. Most major injuries in football are not even contact related, anyways, so to use injuries as an excuse not to put a game-like scrimmage on the field is ridiculous.

26. sackman

There is a way to guarantee zero injuries - stop playing football.

So, no sackygate. I'm not going to bother going at all of it's going to be just like last year.

27. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

You make some great points. I'd like to think you can find a happy medium here. You close pretty much all spring practices and then don't do any type of real spring game. If Mac starts off bad this year, he is giving RG more ammo for his firing. Not that this would be the biggest reason, but I beat it would play a role.

28. onealcd

I actually don't want to see a spring game when they draft teams. I want to see a scrimmage of the ones against the ones and sub in the backups one by one instead of all at one time. Not a fan of the drafting team thing because then you get a bunch of walk one and it's hard to tell how good people actually are.

29. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

The Spring Game should be like an NFL preseason game, where the 1s start out against each other and the bench empties by the end. Keep score, have spoils for the winning team, maybe even have a MVP trophy.

CUFan likes this.
  30. onealcd

So looks like an hour of warm up and drills and then an hour scrimmage.