What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Practice/Game

Fun stat. We were 127th last year in sacks per passing attempt, and we lost the majority of our returning sacks.
And that was with getting the unexpected help of our best pass rushing DL surprising us with a post-grad return to the team.

I expect an anemic pass rush coupled with a depleted & inexperienced secondary.

Recipe for suck.

Probably all we can do is play "bend but don't break" to reduce the number of possessions per game, and hope for opponent mistakes (turnovers, missed receivers & missed FGs).

I knew it was bad, but did not realize it was that bad. It seemed like too many times we had guys in the backfield and yet rarely got hits on QBs, let alone sacks.
This is the answer when people want to argue there is no difference between a guy with a 5.5 3* and a guy with a 5.7 3* with Rivals.

Both guys have the size, work hard, have the moves, etc. Difference is one of them has a extra jump off the line, gets a certain number of rushes per season when the blocker is cleanly beaten and the rusher has a clean path to the passer. Difference is often that one of the guys has an extra burst at the end, when he gets off his blocker it seems like he is instantly at the QB.

Mustafa is a great example. Great Buff, works hard every play, has size and technical skills. Tried the pros last year and got no interest, why? How often do we see him tied up with a single blocker, working hard but just not getting off. How many times do we see him getting into the pocket two steps after the pass is released or the QB has vacated the pocket. Do we ever see him just beat a guy on physical talent?

People can argue about how accurate individual ratings are but you can't argue that watching CU play other teams it is infrequent that the most physically talented team on the field. How often do we see the spectacular plays, the extraordinary plays being made by the opponent.

I know we are recruiting players for college not the pros but the NFL looks for guys who have that standout physical talent, guys who don't have that don't make it.

Why does CU have fewer players in the last ten years drafted in the first 3-5 rounds of the draft than a lot of G5 teams? How many guys on the current roster have that kind of physical talent?

People on this site like to argue about recruiting rankings. How about looking at the statistics that are directly related to making "athletic" plays. Not only does CU do poorly in sacks, we don't see the interceptions, the strip fumbles, the TFLs, all of which are plays that generally reflect superior athletic plays.

Until we have a coach and athletic director, and an administration that understands that recruiting is the difference between failure and success we need to be used to seeing the Buffs lose to teams with better athletes that make more plays.

I hope the Buffs O can move the ball up and down the field this spring. If not..

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

This is the type of mentality the AD is banking on. I'm not knocking what you're doing but they are definitely riding this wave.
Whether they decide to offer a snowball's chance of a competitive team or not, I've always found a way to watch.

Of course, I live in Los Angeles, so my "participation" is really never going to be essential to the team, much as I don't feel that way during games (even when recorded, oddly enough).

Just to show you all what a crackerjack marketing/website team they have over at the athletic department, when you click on the Spring Game link now that the game date has been officially announced, you still get this (accessed March 20 at 2:20 p.m.):

screen grab.jpg

That team is ON THE BALL. With this attention to detail, we can't lose.

Just to show you all what a crackerjack marketing/website team they have over at the athletic department, when you click on the Spring Game link now that the game date has been officially announced, you still get this (accessed March 20 at 2:20 p.m.):

View attachment 50613

Right. I was looking for info about spring .. everything, including the Roster that’s up, is still last years. How hard is it to have someone in that massive Athletic Dept. responsible for the outward facing presentation, at the very least?

View attachment 50613

Should read accessed March 30, not March 20

Hard to care when those being paid don't give a ****
We can't even get the coach who walked out on us in a national embarrassment off the front of the website for spring practice--that WAS 2019, right? If this doesn't express just how f****** up the management of the Athletic Department is...

Yep. We truly look so much better than last year.. /s

Last edited:
Doom and gloomers are having a party. The team should use the spring to work on fundamentals and learning the playbook. The season starts in september not March.
I could swear you've been going on and on about the season starting March, not September. Which is it you Nonce?

Good competition at QB. Apparently Lewis had a good first day. I would be worried if he didnt. He is getting better like all young QBs.

Back