1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sustainability

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DBT, Oct 5, 2016.

1. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I don't want a one year run! I want a long, long stay at the top. I was going to do a "how do we do that" kind of thread, but we all know HOW you do it: Institutional support, strong AD, revenue, top salaries, great assistants, etc. My question is, "Can we or will we become a perennial top 25 program?" Does CU (admin) have the heart and desire for it?

2. Randy.Watson

Randy.Watson Well-Known Member

In addition to the items that you mentioned above, how this years recruiting class ends up will go a long way to avoiding any down years in the near future.

TDforTD likes this.
  3. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Yes, we have done it before, can do it again. Isn't this just a bit early after being ranked for one week out of the last 10 years or so.

azbuff, Ocho-Buff and Shldr2Shldr like this.
  4. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Keep the money flowing and yes we can. History repeats itself DBT, didn't they teach you that in San Angelo? Have the right people in place and it'll work out.

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Is the board going to go into complete meltdown if the Buffs lose a game? Lose 2 in a row?

Alfred91, WasianCU and Shldr2Shldr like this.
  6. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Well, we can double our ranked run if we beat USC on Saturday.

7. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

Yeah! And I've seen evidence that beating a 1-3 team at home by way of a 4th quarter comeback can increase your ranking by 5 spots, so just think what we'd do with beating a 2-3 team on the road.

8. DBT

Yes

9. DBT

Nah. It isn't too early. Maybe I should have changed the title to "Become a top tier program and sustain it" or something. That's what I mean. We certainly have a way to go to become a top notch program still. I didn't mean to imply that we are there yet.

10. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

This board has changed in many, many ways.

11. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

This is ridiculous. The admin has ponied up for the facilities, opened up on recruiting and provided the coaching staff with the budget to get and keep assistent coaches. They are doing their part and to suggest or ask if they have the heart to build something is sustainable is just off base. Are we going to hit bumps in the road, yes. But there is definitely a long term plan for success. Look at how all of the programs in the AD are performing and the transformation that has taken place in the last 5-8 years.

12. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Paying off those bonds used to finance the fancy new facilities gives the Administration great incentive to keep it up!
    Also, the new facilities are very multi-purpose and Boulder community oriented (bike riding health; AYKM?). They need to be kept top-notch.
    Unless they hire a Betsy Hoffman-type ("C**t is a term of endearment.") to take Benson's place and another Dick Byyny to replace DiSteph! (Remember, DiSteph offered GB a chance to lessen recruiting restrictions and in a huge fit of passive-aggression, GB said "NO!")

13. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

I'm done man!! Now that we have re-established our winning tradition a loss is COMPLETELY unacceptable!!!!

14. Johnny Tarr

Johnny Tarr Club Member Club Member

I heard Klatt on the radio this morning actually going out of his way to compliment Benson and the CU admin for buying in to the need to support football and athletics. It's amazing how winning heals those old wounds.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  15. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

A wise man associated with another Colorado football team once said, "This isn't about winning now, it's about winning from now on."

Like that team, CU Football has a guy at the top in Rick George that gets it when it comes to running a successful AD. He's a fund raising stallion, who has a vision for the program and has shown the willingness to be patient, let the coaches do their jobs and give them every resource to be successful.

The coaching staff has men at the helm that know what they are doing on both sides of the ball and in recruiting. They have created a ****ing brand for CU that is getting national recognition with both recruits and media types. A ****ing brand. After a 4-9 season and a decade of incompetence. They are going toe to toe with blue blood programs for blue chip high school recruits, building amazing class balance, lowering the attrition rate, and bringing in JUCO players that can play immediately. They have instilled a culture for this program, forged through extreme adversity, that has created a brotherhood among the players and family with the staff.

It's taken longer than most of us would have liked, but they have built this thing the right way and have finally brought CU to the level where they can sustain top 25 success.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  16. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

So, you and DiStefano are sending each other Christmas cards again?

17. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is the administration willing to throw $5+ million at a head coach?

18. TSchekler

That would be top 10 in the country HC money. There are a lot of top programs not paying their coaches that much.

19. married2abuff

married2abuff Club Member Club Member

20. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes

21. TSchekler

At some point, I'd love for CU football to be at a level where we are paying a guy Urban, Saban, Harbaugh or Stoops kind of money and have the same expectations on the field and in recruiting that those kind of coaches bring. Maybe one day down the road, when CU has reestablished itself as a big time program with realistic expectations of competing for P12 championships every year, we will get there. Until then, giving HCMM an extension and pay increase (assuming the season continues to progress as well all hope it does) to the $3-3.5m/year range (on par with guys like Graham, Kingsbury, Helfrich, Rich Rod, etc) is very reasonable.

22. pcbuff

pcbuff Well-Known Member

Recruiting. Coaching stability and ability. The formula is easy. Execution is really hard.

23. married2abuff

Interesting to note, Petersen is the highest compensated HC in the PAC12 at $3,402,940 - ranks him at #24. HCMM ranks at or near the bottom of the PAC12 at $2,010,353. (These are 2015 #'s). Unquestionably the HC salary would need to increase substantially to address the 'sustainability' question. If we have indeed turned the corner this year, I suspect HCMM will get a substantial increase - but the question remains will it put him in the top 20? I doubt it. Perhaps with year over year performance he'd get there. Seems like there is plenty of support for investing in the program and increased revenues should grease the skids even more, however.

24. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Mac may be due for a bump, but it is our entire coaching salary pool that lags more than just the HC salary. That may need to be addressed at season's end for certain staffers.

TDforTD and TSchekler like this.
  25. TSchekler

I think the more important issue is the rest of the staff compensation. The 2015 numbers have CU at 37th in the country (7th in P12) for staff $$ at $2.7m. The top 5 in this category are all SEC, followed by two ACC schools (Clemson and FSU) and two Big 10 schools (UM and OSU). Giving HCMM or whoever our coach will be in 5 years a $3-$4m salary, but allocating another $3-$4m to asst coaches is the key, IMO. Will the university approve $7-$8m/year for just the salaries of the coaching staff?

Alfred91, TDforTD and Highlander like this.
  26. married2abuff

Yep - couldn't agree more. The money has been spent on the facilities, the next step must be payroll.

27. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

If I had articulated it as well as you did, I wouldn't have beaten your post on the same topic by one minute. Well said.

28. TDforTD

TDforTD Club Member Club Member

We're gonna ****ing sustain!

29. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I'm in favor of it.

30. Buffs35

Buffs35 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I am confused. So should I root for only 6 or 7 wins because it could lead to a gradual rise, instead of wanting the Buffs to run the table the rest of the year?

Thanks, I'll take my answer off the air.