1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T.C. McCartney

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by 77buff, Feb 21, 2008.

1. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

With the indefinite suspension of Ryan Perrilloux, I see that T.C. McCartney of Boulder will be an invited walk-on for the quarterback position at LSU. Can anybody tell me about him?

2. duckfeeder

duckfeeder New Member

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I've seen him play. He's OK, but nothing spectacular. I think this has more to do with Les Miles' relationship with coach Mac than anything else. Tom McCartney was TC's high school coach.

4. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

That's the way I see it too. I've read little snipits that make me think this is more of a favor for a very close family friend than expectations that he'll see any serious playing time. I think it's pretty cool of Miles to do this. Who knows, if TC has any inclination of going into the family coaching profession he could learn a ton carrying a clipboard for Miles.

5. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

That says alot for Miles - alot of class.:thumbsup:

6. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

He was walking on anyway. And yes, Les Miles is doing this for his old boss. Way cool, BTW.

7. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

I knew I liked Les Miles. When I hear him talk, I have flash-backs to Coach Mac. Go T.C. We are all pulling for you.

8. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

Les Miles seems to be a very stand up guy. He could have bolted to Meeeechigan but kept his word. Who wouldnt want to coach those athletes hes got though?

9. The Monk

The Monk Club Member Club Member

Is nepotism really that cool?

10. sackman

He didn't give up a scholarship, so I'd say yes, in this case it's very cool.

11. The Monk

The Monk Club Member Club Member

An unearned preferred walk on, it's still considered a slot on the team, no? It's not horrible in so much as there's actual academic competition to get into LSU, but the good ol' boy network in college football is something that needs to be blown up.

12. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

There are alot of coaches that wouldn't have considered what Miles did for McCartney. An asshole like Nick Saban wouldn't have wanted to be bothered
    with the additional time and energy spent to do something like this. There's absolutely nothing in it for Miles except the satisfaction that he did an old friend a favor.

13. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

C'mon, its not like the kid is incapable. He has very good football bloodlines the whole way around. Grandpa was an all-conference performer at Mizzou and Dad was an All-Big-8 QB. Pretty good bloodlines. Not bad IMO. Plus, with the loss of Periloux, Miles needs a cagey QB with some football IQ to run the scout team. Who better than a kid who has been raised by a family of coaches? I would be concerned about nepotism if this kid was 5'6, ran a 5.3 40 and hadn't been off the couch in 15 years but I guarantee you that is not the case. Monk, I take it you have had some bad experiences where your experience and merit lost out to the bosses stoner nephew or something along those lines? This ain't like that.

14. sackman

In all seriousness guys, he's not that great of a QB. I'm pretty sure he and Taylor Tharp were both at Fairview at roughly the same time. Tharp is now the starter at Boise St. TC might have been a year or so behind Tharp, though. In any event, I don't think it's a big deal that he was invited to walk on at LSU. I like what Miles did. You need guys like that on the team. Rembember my whacky recruiting theory?

15. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

tharp was a redshirt senior last season, tc was a true frosh- doubt they played togeth at fairview

16. sackman

I thought Tharp was a more recent grad, but OK. Nevertheless, TC operated a running offense where he didn't do much running. The Fairview offense is screwy. They run the veer or something goofy like that. Lots of option stuff, with the QB very rarely actually running the ball.

17. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

TC's relationship to Miles is like a very close uncle from what I've read. He didn't have to, but he accepted TC to live out his dream of major DI football. Very cool.

18. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

I think he's giving something back to Sal as well as Bill and T.C.

19. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Walk ons don't have schollies, so they don't count against the 85. It's not a big deal.

20. sackman

As an invited walk-on, he'll probably get some preferential treatment from the admissions office, but that's likely where his benefits will end.

21. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

I doubt he'd even get that. At CU, walk-on's have to get into and pay for school just like any other student. A "preferred" or invited walkon simply means you don't have to try-out.