What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle is the Greatest Coach in CU Men’s Basketball History

The obvious answer is, whenever it happens, it'll be the small conference coach who just chanced into winning a game in the tournament and parlayed it into a p5 HC job (but not the small school that went deep, some other school will pony up for that guy). That's just how it works.

The obvious answer is, whenever it happens, it'll be the small conference coach who just chanced into winning a game in the tournament and parlayed it into a p5 HC job (but not the small school that went deep, some other school will pony up for that guy). That's just how it works.
How about Andre Miller, former Nugget, Grand Rapids Gold coach, former Utah Ute. Would be sweet

yup this panned out exactly as I expected with a list of:
  • Ridiculous suggestions that probably wouldn't even pick up the phone for Colorado (or have serious baggage)
  • Coaches that would look at this job as a stepping stone into a big boy job
  • Bring back the Buff alum that has no business being a HC at this time
So lets be realistic, the next hire will be a mid-major coach that is "under the radar", and we will hope is as good as Tad, and maybe with the same loyalty. Lets keep in mind most coaches seeing the success of Tad in his first couple of years would have bolted very quickly.

This conversation parallels the conversation of George Karl and the Nuggets. Karl also seemed to have a ceiling, couldn't attract "high end" free agents and wasn't supported financially as well as some other NBA teams. The Nuggets moved on and struggled mightily but eventually found their coach and drafted well. Why can't this new coach come in find their recruit and make a big time run? Why are so many on this board afraid to take that chance? I'd much rather try and fail than have expectations and not meet them. If the coach succeeds and leaves at least we've had success. This year's team should be a top 4 seed at the least. A top 5 to 10 pick, two possible second round picks, several other experienced roll players and two freshmen that show promise...Very disappointing!!!

This conversation parallels the conversation of George Karl and the Nuggets. Karl also seemed to have a ceiling, couldn't attract "high end" free agents and wasn't supported financially as well as some other NBA teams. The Nuggets moved on and struggled mightily but eventually found their coach and drafted well. Why can't this new coach come in find their recruit and make a big time run? Why are so many on this board afraid to take that chance? I'd much rather try and fail than have expectations and not meet them. If the coach succeeds and leaves at least we've had success. This year's team should be a top 4 seed at the least. A top 5 to 10 pick, two possible second round picks, several other experienced roll players and two freshmen that show promise...Very disappointing!!!
The Nuggets have done a lot of things right, but drafting a top 5 All Time player during a Taco Bell commercial is not a replicable strategy.

The first coach the nuggets hired after Karl was Brian Shaw. I'm not saying we didn't need to replace Karl but when a program has a high floor and can't get over the hump it is easier to take a step back then to take a step forward.

The next coach after Shaw, Malone, eventually worked out. But it took time and incredible luck and even then people were calling for him to be fired before the Nuggets went on a run last year! I'm pretty sure most of the Fire Tad crew would have wanted Malone fired before the championship.

The first coach the nuggets hired after Karl was Brian Shaw. I'm not saying we didn't need to replace Karl but when a program has a high floor and can't get over the hump it is easier to take a step back then to take a step forward.

The next coach after Shaw, Malone, eventually worked out. But it took time and incredible luck and even then people were calling for him to be fired before the Nuggets went on a run last year! I'm pretty sure most of the Fire Tad crew would have wanted Malone fired before the championship.
I also think that professional basketball is different than college in the sense that you should be trying to build a championship level team, especially considering that the draft works against teams that are good but not great. In college basketball I think it is way more valuable to have a high floor program.

I also think that professional basketball is different than college in the sense that you should be trying to build a championship level team, especially considering that the draft works against teams that are good but not great. In college basketball I think it is way more valuable to have a high floor program.
Do we have a high floor program? I look at San Diego St. Brian Dutcher has done a great job there. He doesn’t have the highest rated recruits nor a taco bell recruit. Makes it to the Championship game and hasn’t left the program.

At least Malone showed progress getting better every year until Murray and MPJ were hurt. I don’t see that progression with Boyle.

Do we have a high floor program? I look at San Diego St. Brian Dutcher has done a great job there. He doesn’t have the highest rated recruits nor a taco bell recruit. Makes it to the Championship game and hasn’t left the program.
You are comparing to one of the top-5 most successful mid-major programs, one that happens to be located in a recruiting hot bed with tons of success before Dutcher ever stepped foot on campus. If your expectation is that CU can replicate the success San Diego St. has had over the last decade then you will be perpetually disappointed.

When I talk about high floor the better comparison is Oregon State. Under Wayne Tinkle that has been a high variance program with a ton of years finishing in the bottom of the PAC. But they did have that magical run to the Elite 8. Tad's teams are always in the top half of the conference.

At least Malone showed progress getting better every year until Murray and MPJ were hurt. I don’t see that progression with Boyle.
I love Malone. He's an above average NBA coach, but the NBA is players league. The only reason I brought him up is because people wanted to fire him too.

You are comparing to one of the top-5 most successful mid-major programs, one that happens to be located in a recruiting hot bed with tons of success before Dutcher ever stepped foot on campus. If your expectation is that CU can replicate the success San Diego St. has had over the last decade then you will be perpetually disappointed.

When I talk about high floor the better comparison is Oregon State. Under Wayne Tinkle that has been a high variance program with a ton of years finishing in the bottom of the PAC. But they did have that magical run to the Elite 8. Tad's teams are always in the top half of the conference.
I guess you’re right. Dumb of me to expect my school to try to excel higher than we’ve done for the last decade. Yay we’re fifth in the conference.

yup this panned out exactly as I expected with a list of:
  • Ridiculous suggestions that probably wouldn't even pick up the phone for Colorado (or have serious baggage)
  • Coaches that would look at this job as a stepping stone into a big boy job
  • Bring back the Buff alum that has no business being a HC at this time
So lets be realistic, the next hire will be a mid-major coach that is "under the radar", and we will hope is as good as Tad, and maybe with the same loyalty. Lets keep in mind most coaches seeing the success of Tad in his first couple of years would have bolted very quickly.
Alright yall. But don't pass on a Sam Presti just because he's young and "has no business" being a GM at 30.

I guess you’re right. Dumb of me to expect my school to try to excel higher than we’ve done for the last decade. Yay we’re fifth in the conference.
just like we tried to excel by firing Barnett - how'd that go?

Let's just be realistic about the trade offs. By high floor I mean under Tad we have seen some mediocre teams and we've seen some pretty good teams that gave us memorable moments. We've had some bad luck (Dinwiddie injury). But under Tad we've rarely seen a bad team.

Let's say the odds (based off program history and comparable programs pulling numbers out of my ass, as is Allbuffs tradition) for our next coach are:
* Better than Tad 20%
* Same as Tad 20%
* Same average result as Tad but higher variance 20%
* Worse than Tad 40%

Let's also give the next coach a grace period. Let's be honest, there is a good chance most of the committed recruits and currently rostered players that can jump to another school will if we fire Tad. CU isn't trucking in the NIL for basketball so transfers-in probably won't equal what goes out. The next coach will have to start from scratch. So we shouldn't even try to compare to Tad until 2-3 years in because the next coach will likely struggle early.

Do you still want to roll that dice? I'm not trying to say you're dumb because you want a top 20 basketball program in Boulder. I want that too. But are you willing to risk potentially trading in a top 60 basketball program for one that slips to the low-100s? The Fire Tad crew seems way too certain that the next coach we hire is going to spin yarn into gold.

Last edited:
Let's not fire Tad. But he won't coach forever. Some year soon we'll be looking for a new head coach. I'd rather go with a young coach who has talent and good apprenticeship than South Indiana State Community College Vocational Preparatory University's head coach. What is that? SISCCVPU?

Let's just be realistic about the trade offs. By high floor I mean under Tad we have seen some mediocre teams and we've seen some pretty good teams that gave us memorable moments. We've had some bad luck (Dinwiddie injury). But under Tad we've rarely seen a bad team.

Let's say the odds (based off program history and comparable programs pulling numbers out of my ass, as is Allbuffs tradition) for our next coach are:
* Better than Tad 20%
* Same as Tad 20%
* Worse than Tad 40%

Let's also give the next coach a grace period. Let's be honest, there is a good chance most of the committed recruits and currently rostered players that can jump to another school will if we fire Tad. CU isn't trucking in the NIL for basketball so transfers-in probably won't equal what goes out. The next coach will have to start from scratch. So we shouldn't even try to compare to Tad until 2-3 years in because the next coach will likely struggle early.

Do you still want to roll that dice? I'm not trying to say you're dumb because you want a top 20 basketball program in Boulder. I want that too. But are you willing to risk potentially trading in a top 60 basketball program for one that slips to the low-100s? The Fire Tad crew seems way too certain that the next coach we hire is going to spin yarn into gold.
Personally I would take the chance and fire Tad. With the talent on this team there is no excuse being a “next 4 out” team. Also losing to a team named Utah Valley last year in the NIT doesn’t sit well with me.

noting the title and clicking on this thread to read post after post about how he's washed up and hit his ceiling years ago is somewhat amusing.

where I'm legit confused is that I perceive CU's MBB recruiting to be the highest it's been in the 10 years I've been following the team, and it's not translating to on-court improvement. this in the context of overwhelming evidence that recruiting correlates to winning.

someone correct me if my perception of improved recruiting is off.

noting the title and clicking on this thread to read post after post about how he's washed up and hit his ceiling years ago is somewhat amusing.

where I'm legit confused is that I perceive CU's MBB recruiting to be the highest it's been in the 10 years I've been following the team, and it's not translating to on-court improvement. this in the context of overwhelming evidence that recruiting correlates to winning.

someone correct me if my perception of improved recruiting is off.
We're definitely signing more 4 & 5* guys in recent classes. Mostly, though, we've always had great talent evaluation and development out of Tad with recruits who were in that Top 100-200 rankings range. I see more depth than before and we definitely hit on KJ & Cody as blue chips. But Eddie was a middling transfer, Hadley wasn't an elite JC signing and Tristan was an unrated recruit. So it's not that different.

We're definitely signing more 4 & 5* guys in recent classes. Mostly, though, we've always had great talent evaluation and development out of Tad with recruits who were in that Top 100-200 rankings range. I see more depth than before and we definitely hit on KJ & Cody as blue chips. But Eddie was a middling transfer, Hadley wasn't an elite JC signing and Tristan was an unrated recruit. So it's not that different.
thank you

Another thing that I think is happening with perception this year is that Cody being #1 in one mock draft has a lot of y'all acting like we've got a consensus #1 pick and generational talent on the roster.

I love Cody's game, but there are very few years in which he would be as highly rated as a recruit or draft prospect. He came from a week class, without clear cut top dogs. He's closer to Alec Burks than he is to Chauncey, in terms of transforming a college roster.

Another thing that I think is happening with perception this year is that Cody being #1 in one mock draft has a lot of y'all acting like we've got a consensus #1 pick and generational talent on the roster.

I love Cody's game, but there are very few years in which he would be as highly rated as a recruit or draft prospect. He came from a week class, without clear cut top dogs. He's closer to Alec Burks than he is to Chauncey, in terms of transforming a college roster.

Potential =/= College great
Potential = High Draft pick and develop in the NBA

Situation was a little different.

I still maintain that the correct analogous situation was NU and Pelini.
Bo Pelini won 9 or 10 games in every season he was the HC and made the Big12/B1G conference championship game 4 out of 7 years as a HC.

Winning 9-10 games in CFB, which is a .750-.833 win %, is the equivalent to soundly making the NCAA tournament. I don't think it's a good analogy here. If Tad was making the tournament every year as a 5-10 seed, I don't think many would be complaining.

Last edited:

* Better than Tad 20%
* Same as Tad 20%
* Worse than Tad 40%

I cannot see how next years team is not going to be a BAD TEAM.
I love our players that will come back, but we will lose 4 out of 5 starters, and unless the Transfer Portal is used better, not sure how next years team even wins half their games. Total rebuild year with a super young potentially talented team that could grow back up to be a good team in 25/26, but right now, next year will not be competitive.

I cannot see how next years team is not going to be a BAD TEAM.
I love our players that will come back, but we will lose 4 out of 5 starters, and unless the Transfer Portal is used better, not sure how next years team even wins half their games. Total rebuild year with a super young potentially talented team that could grow back up to be a good team in 25/26, but right now, next year will not be competitive.
You have no idea what next year's team is going to look like. I also have no idea what next year's team is going to look like. Tad at this point probably has no idea what next year's team is going to look like. It will be different though. Tad has only had one under .500 team, but we do move to the Big XXII next year. Could be a struggle, but there could be something great coming, and he's never had a noncompetitive team. How about we get through this year first.

Bo Pelini won 9 or 10 games in every season he was the HC and made the Big12/B1G conference championship game 4 out of 7 years as a HC.

Winning 9-10 games in CFB, which is a .750-.833 win %, is the equivalent to soundly making the NCAA tournament. I don't think it's a good analogy here. If Tad was making the tournament every year as a 5-10 seed, I don't think many would be complaining.
My point is that he had the nubs playing at their modern ceiling, and every coach since has been trying to get back to that level.

Back