What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tell me what to think. And why...

And we were going to be Texas at Texas in 08! I mean we were up at halftime, right?

CVB is right.

The team was never in it, even though they weren't too far behind until the end of the third. This team needs gashers to be competitive because we can't stop people on 3rd down nor can we convert it ourselves.

As I told exxon in the first half during the game: "never has 1-2 touchdowns felt so completely distant". We were never in it after the 2nd possession on offense.

As I told exxon in the first half during the game: "never has 1-2 touchdowns felt so completely distant". We were never in it after the 2nd possession on offense.

At Wazzou we have ridiculous, broken plays and all of a sudden it gives people hope that we can compete with better teams.

What was our 3rd down conversion rate? It was something like 1-11 and UCLA was something like 6-12. Yeah, that's "close."

We had 8 3 and outs.

They had 4.

Edit: Looked up 3rd down conversions

CU: 2 of 15
UCLA: 7 of 15

Pathetic.

I have watched all the games over 3 times each as painful as it is...I just want to try and figure out what is going on??
I think CU is at least 3 to 4 years away from really being a consistent challenging team at the trajectory they are on. There are to many player positions that need to upgrade. By that point we will be graduating some of the players that are playing well. Quarterback (big time),offensive line (BIG BIG TIME),Receivers, running backs, linebackers and defensive line - That's the whole team??? There are no big time play makers that scare the other team (you need at least one on every team). It seems as though the players are not being put in winnable individual battles / mismatches - that is on the coaching staff. Sucks being a CU fan right now!! I don't have to tell you that. When a difference maker shows up, the other difference makers will be graduating and the cycle continues. By then I really see CU going through another coaching change and the cycle continues more.

Defenses that are playing CU are licking their chops. With no threat of a passing game, that kills the running game, they load up the box and go after Webb. Once those flood gates open our offense is in a quagmire. The way to stop a blitz every down is by screen passes or a deep ball - CU can not do either. The only reason they could play with some of those teams last year was Stewerts / Hanses's ability to run a screen pass - remember that play was ran to death last year?

I agree that we were never really in the game and that UCLA was largely in control. That said, we were only down 21-7 when Hobbs fumbled in the third quarter, right? If he hangs on we're in UCLA territory and may have scored. I know it's a big IF, but it would then have been 21-14 and anything could have happened. Then again, UCLA looked like the better team throughout so maybe it wouldn't have mattered.

Anyway, if we had played like that in our first three games we would have certainly beaten CSU and Sac State and probably Fresno State. I still can't believe we lost the first two games.

For me this game really brought into focus the issues with this team. And some positives.

• We don't have a QB that can compete at this level. I could go on and on about this but until we have significant improvement at this position the Buffs will struggle.
  • There are zero difference makers on offense - not saying that we don't have some good players there but no one that causes opposing DCs to stay up at night game planning on how to neutralize a playmaker.
  • Quality Depth is an issue.
  • I never felt that CU was going to win.

Now for the positives.

• The team played hard the whole game - I think they are developing a mental toughness which they are going to need.
  • The defense has improved - but you cannot put them on the field that many times against a good QB.
  • The oline had a better game, IMO.

Overall this was a reality check for me on how far this team has to go. I have NOT given up on the staff (makes me a minority on this board). There is no scheme that you can come up with that is going to make Jordan Webb a great QB. The staff has to play the hand they have been dealt unfortunately it is a bad hand.

• There are zero difference makers on offense - not saying that we don't have some good players there but no one that causes opposing DCs to stay up at night game planning on how to neutralize a playmaker.

• The defense has improved - but you cannot put them on the field that many times against a good QB.

I wish we'd try to just lob it up to Kasa or Thornton at some point when they're matched with a short guy. Make them make a play up high...same with McCullough.

The Dline is doing well, but (as I state over and over) we have to send more than two guys and disguise/send a blitz every so often. The ucla QB was clearly skid dish against pressure and we still sent two guys very third down so he could take his time and scan the field.

The Oline doesn't give Webb ,uh time, but he holds onto the ball and really doesn't make the quick decisions necessary at this level. I think that is why we don't see a lot of quick slants, and when we do they are into 4-man coverage.

I know the staff was dealt a bad hand, but part of the offensive struggling is on them. The recruiting at skill positions is very much a mixed bag right now.

I know the staff was dealt a bad hand, but part of the offensive struggling is on them. The recruiting at skill positions is very much a mixed bag right now.

Luckily next year we'll have a bunch of freshman dominating on offense. Wait, did I say freshman? Damn, ok, 2014(or 2015) then.

Just so we're clear, next year our huge contributions will be from:

QB: Dillon (freshman)
RB: Payne (freshman), Powell(true sophomore), Ford?(lol jk that guy doesn't need any carries) Crowder (freshman) Abron (true sophomore) Jones (Junior) Creer maybe (junior) and our latest torn ACL case Lindsay (freshman)
WR: Prich (Junior) Spruce (sophomore) McCulloch (junior) GT (sophomore) Canty (junior) JT (freshman) PWilliams (freshman) Bobo (freshman) Dunston (freshman) and Ross (freshman)
TE: Ray/Irwin (freshman) Hobbs (sophomore) (Thornton (senior)
OL: We only lose Dannewitz, so everyone is back! Yay!

Looking like we'll be pretty young again next year gentlemen. Does the excuse still hold water then or?

Back