1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas being texas...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buff4bcs1985, Aug 6, 2014.

1. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

2. Gramburglar

Gramburglar Literally has hundreds of dollars Club Member

I think Bill Synder was at the same confrence.:lol:
    http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11319063

3. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

so happy this topic made it over here to AB, even to only focus on Texas AD comments.

Tomorrow's vote is huge for college sports. HUGE. not necessarily good, but HUGE. The face of college sports will change forever after tomorrow (****, it's now today). The end is near.

in my naive head, I envision the future of the so-called P5 conferences coming down to:
    • the B1G and Pac trying to maintain academic integrity while making the most $$$ possible
    • the SEC and XII selling out even further, pushing to lower academic standards and turn college football into a D-league for the NFL
    • the ACC trying to decide who to side with to keep both UNC and FSU happy

4. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

I think so. Any last vestige of the romance of the college sports days as a young student is soon to be swept away. I think Patterson is destined to be one of the biggest jerks in the history of college sports, but his attitude is only at the point of the general direction things are heading anyway.

5. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

In the past I may have mentioned that Texas' leadership fails to see the conference model as something that is collectively good for football, and therefore something that worth investing in. Texas would cut off it's nose, not even realizing it was spiting its own face.

sliderNcider likes this.
  6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Well...it didn't take Steve long to fit in at Texas did it?

7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

8. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

I'll put this in terms a narcissistic prick like Patterson can understand....revenue sharing is good for the sport and ergo, good for Texas. The #1 sports franchise in America, the NFL, does revenue sharing and it works well. Revenue sharing is one reason why smaller markets continue to do well and make the league more competitive; there is no way a city the size of Green Bay could compete with NY or Boston.

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Patterson referring to sports outside of football and men's basketball as "just expenses" is horrible. He's not running a professional sports team. He supposedly works for a non-profit organization that has a much larger mission than profits.

As people have said, Patterson has a habit of distorting things to support his argument. I see a lot of that from Tejas as a state cultural thing. Talk big and all that. When that HS floated a $50MM bond for a new football stadium, I had a friend from down there justify it to me by saying "football pays for all the other sports". I said "but how long does it take a HS football team to generate $50MM in ticket revenue?". His response was, "it's Tejas".

10. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

I believe this is reason #80459 on why we don't want uterus in the PAC12.

11. Uncle Ken

What I find additionally remarkable about his remarks is the inability to learn a lesson from aTm.

Aggy has gained significant ground on Texas--if not passed them. The most notable reason appears to be affiliation with the conference perceived to rule the college football world. Yet, Texas still can't figure out that a strong conference benefits their team and their brand.

Texas has it all. Not surprisingly their hubris prevents them from realizing their potential.

12. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I think he is running a professional sports team. I'm not exactly sure what is amateur about NCAA football, other than clinging to not compensating athletes. If I were in charge of the AD and my goal every year is to either balance the budget or make a profit (on top of growing and marketing my sports), the non revenue generating sports become expenses to me. There is no benevolent nonprofit mission at an AD anymore. I'm not sure there is at a school anymore for that matter, but that's a different discussion.

But certainly Patterson distorts to meet his goals.

13. Buffnik

Big 12's Bob Bowlsby stepped in it, too.

He said:

"I think if we ever go down the path of creating an employee-employer relationship, we will have forever lost our way," Bowlsby said. "… If you apply any form of the labor theory of value, that is to say the work that goes into something is determinant of the cost, football and basketball players don't work any harder than any other athletes. They don't work harder than swimmers. They don't work harder than field hockey players. They don't work harder than wrestlers. They just happen to have the blessing of an adoring public."

Deadspin is begging a reporter to ask the following question: "So do you think you work harder than your secretary?"

:lol:

14. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

They need to hurry up and go independent. When Patterson was hired, many former employees of the Trailblazers organization were happy to give their candid thoughts about what it was like to work for him. Starting to believe all of those stories.

15. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

Isn't value of the work output supposed to be part of that equation? Not just cost of the labor?

16. Buffnik

Yeah. He's talking out his ass.

I happen to agree with his conclusion that college athletes aren't employees and should be treated equally no matter the profits generated by their respective sports.

I.e., scholarship college athletes are not delineated by the profits generated by the sport they play or their own market value since this is a non-profit enterprise with a much larger mission than maximizing profits from football and MBB and out-competing the NFL and NBA for the sports entertainment dollar.

As I've said before, we fans are always wanting to see more sports added even though we know they lose money. CU adding field hockey is a very different thing than if the Broncos decided to bankroll a field hockey team.

But if Bowlsby had said that, he would have contradicted UT's athletic director. If you want to keep your job as Big 12 Commish, you don't do that. So he made some **** up that sounded quasi-intellectual and made no sense.

17. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Phew.

Frankly, I was a little concerned when Patterson moved from ASU to UT. I thought it might signal a crack in the anti-UT defense from the Pac 12. Now, after these comments, I'm secure once again in the belief that the Pac 12 wants absolutely nothing to do with UT. Now or ever.

18. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

Chip Brown trying to take down Steve Patterson:

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1556266-hd-exclusive-ad-patterson-facing-heat
    (no sub needed)

19. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

20. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

21. TDbuff

Yeah, I was listened to that last night. Didn't really care too much for his recollection of the re-alignment sh*tshow 5 years ago, but his comments about Patterson were interesting. I just didn't realize he had this article ready to drop.

22. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

werent texas writers essentailly saying the same **** about charlie strong before last season? Seems like what they really hate is change.

23. onealcd

The only things I read about Strong were about him not being as good socially as Mack Brown, not that he was a dick and alienated people. Apparently the SID they just got rid of was one of Strong's biggest helpers with dealing with the media and donors so that was a terrible move.

24. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

There is bitching that this current AD is ruining the game day experience.
    - jacking up ticket prices
    - game day atmosphere getting worse
    - can't hear band over continued advertisements between every play
    - gimmicks like having a guy in a jet pack fly around stadium
    - tailgate and parking issues that disrupt status quo
    - turns a deaf ear to Joe Sixpack fan

25. Uncle Ken

I'd kill for a jet-pack!

26. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

But they are serving beer at UT games next year.

27. TDbuff

Some shade from A&M regarding that:

[tweet]611613116690903041[/tweet]

28. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

I wonder$$ why?

29. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

That ****'s funny!

30. onealcd

Except for the fact that A&M didn't win a home conference game last year and lost 59-0 at Bama.